Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Leak In Rear Back Corners Of Hatchback

Keith01

Hi,

Just thought I would share the source of a leak in the back of my 3 year old Aygo Black, given that I had searched the internet to no avail.

To cut a long and frustrating story short the leak was originating from the two rubber bungs either side of the back hatch window. These are a push fit into the bodywork and the hatch window buts up against them when shut. There are also two at the bottom but these are okay and a slightly different style. The two that are leaking are adjacent to the rear lights.

Easy to fix with some sealant. Carefully prize out with screwdriver and replace covered with LS-X sealant (a fantasitc sealant with a million uses, will still seal when traces of water are present).

Possible to seal the back if necessary by removal of some push fit interior bits and bobs, although this is not absolutely necessary.

My neighbour has the same car but slightly newer and had exactly the same problem. The garage replaced the rear lights and the hatch seal - ah, that's garagages for you. Still didn't fix it!

I can't believe there are any models like this that don't leak. Leak is detected in rear back corners of hatchback, but not an obvious water course to trace back cause of leak. It is not coming from the lights but they were prime suspects.

Hope that helps someone!

Cheers.

Hi,

Just thought I would share the source of a leak in the back of my 3 year old Aygo Black, given that I had searched the internet to no avail.

To cut a long and frustrating story short the leak was originating from the two rubber bungs either side of the back hatch window. These are a push fit into the bodywork and the hatch window buts up against them when shut. There are also two at the bottom but these are okay and a slightly different style. The two that are leaking are adjacent to the rear lights.

Easy to fix with some sealant. Carefully prize out with screwdriver and replace covered with LS-X sealant (a fantasitc sealant with a million uses, will still seal when traces of water are present).

Possible to seal the back if necessary by removal of some push fit interior bits and bobs, although this is not absolutely necessary.

My neighbour has the same car but slightly newer and had exactly the same problem. The garage replaced the rear lights and the hatch seal - ah, that's garagages for you. Still didn't fix it!

I can't believe there are any models like this that don't leak. Leak is detected in rear back corners of hatchback, but not an obvious water course to trace back cause of leak. It is not coming from the lights but they were prime suspects.

Hope that helps someone!

Cheers.

Can you post up a photo of the bungs .....many thanks.

These ones? The ones lower down are screwed down with a Torx-bit and actually hold part of the bumper down...

100_2908.JPG

• Like 1

These ones? The ones lower down are screwed down with a Torx-bit and actually hold part of the bumper down...

100_2908.JPG

Many thanks :thumbsup:

100_2908.JPG

Many thanks :thumbsup:

Yes, these are indeed the offending rubber bungs. Thanks for posting the photo, saved me a job this morning.

Cheers.

Thanks for posting the photo, saved me a job this morning.

Thanks to iPhoto... I knew I had such a picture somewhere in my 13.000+ library.

Found it within seconds :D Putting it on-line was the most time consuming...

Unbelievable had to go into the garage today so while i was there i checked the boot carpet in the aygo, yes you have guessed , it was wet in both corners as Keith01 car. Anyway checked both rubber bungs and they were both slightly loose, certainly not a tight fit as they should be to stop water entering the boot. So i have removed all the panels inside the boot area to see if i can see any more water luckily all dry apart from the mentioned corners where it was wet.I then removed both bungs and applied some sealant on the car and the bungs and refitted them,will wait 24 hours for it to set before i take the car out and do the old hosepipe test, lets hope that sorts this little problem out. Will let you know the outcome tomorrow.....Regards Colin

p.s Thanks to Keith for posting this problem and also thanks to Jan.

Went out today and sprayed the hosepipe on the rear of the car to test the rubber bungs i had sealed in and no leak from the sealed bungs biggrin.gif. Then i noticed water coming down from both top corners of the hatch yes its the dreaded high level break light censored.gifcursing.gif . Removed the brake light and could clearly see water droplets inside and it was obviously running down and ending up in the car...aaarrrggghhh !!!!!! (why do they use a shi* foam seal that absorbs the water instead of a decent rubber one ). So i have now sealed the break light and again will let it set overnight before i do the hosepipe test again. Thank god i have had the wife's car available for the last couple of nights to get to work.

Went out today and sprayed the hosepipe on the rear of the car to test the rubber bungs i had sealed in and no leak from the sealed bungs :D. Then i noticed water coming down from both top corners of the hatch yes its the dreaded high level break light :censor: :ffs: . Removed the brake light and could clearly see water droplets inside and it was obviously running down and ending up in the car...aaarrrggghhh !!!!!! (why do they use a shi* foam seal that absorbs the water instead of a decent rubber one ). So i have now sealed the break light and again will let it set overnight before i do the hosepipe test again. Thank god i have had the wife's car available for the last couple of nights to get to work.

This was my thread on the subject........

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...mp;#entry958852

I would agree that the foam seal is far too thin for the length of the light lence, mine has been ok since i sealed it in,although it does have the crack across the washer jet area :(

Went out today and sprayed the hosepipe on the rear of the car to test the rubber bungs i had sealed in and no leak from the sealed bungs :D. Then i noticed water coming down from both top corners of the hatch yes its the dreaded high level break light :censor: :ffs: . Removed the brake light and could clearly see water droplets inside and it was obviously running down and ending up in the car...aaarrrggghhh !!!!!! (why do they use a shi* foam seal that absorbs the water instead of a decent rubber one ). So i have now sealed the break light and again will let it set overnight before i do the hosepipe test again. Thank god i have had the wife's car available for the last couple of nights to get to work.

This was my thread on the subject........

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...mp;#entry958852

I would agree that the foam seal is far too thin for the length of the light lence, mine has been ok since i sealed it in,although it does have the crack across the washer jet area :(

Cheers for the info Uncle Bob, does anyone think this may do a job (see below) instead of the poor foam seal on the high brake light....Colin

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...%3D1&_rdc=1

3mm thick is good but i feel once the screws are done up at both ends the lence could bow out in the middle due to the thinkness.

After rebuilding the engine on my Supra i had a tube of black RTV seale left over, very good stuff i've used it on all the parts i've taken off in the AYGO's boot :rolleyes:

Another leak area.....take a look at this photo the black cap is for the shock absorber mounting in the boot ( drivers side ) I've added the black rubber grommet above, as the hole originally had a bit of factory duck tape stuck over it and once water and road dirty get on the back of the tape it peals off , water leaks from the hole as you go through puddles :rolleyes:

IMG_1550.jpg

Cheers for the photo Bob will check if they are still covered tomorrow in the daylight, just found something quite interesting on page 281 of the handbook (photo 2) where it says "Remove the clips by using a flathead screwdriver with the tip covered in tape" my light actually just pushed in and out with no effort at all. Just had a look and the mentioned clips were all flat, so i have just lifted them all with a small pair of pliers and the light actually does now clip onto the car securely, so perhaps that was another reason for the leak i had. Will know more on Tuesday when the nylon clips for the car arrive.....Regards Colin

• 6 years later...

I've had the exact problems on my 61 plate Aygo. The rear top brake light and seal were replaced before the mechanic spoke to Toyota direct and they suggested the rubber bungs. I would definitely suggest this being the first thing people look at as it is definitely the cheapest!

• 2 months later...
On 30-1-2010 at 7:45 PM, Jan van de Wouw said:

100_2908.JPG

33094931861_5a92e4f66e_c.jpg

Thanks! I did found it.  greetings  wim

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links