Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing Shrouds

acetip

hi fans

does anyone know how to remove the shrouds fomm the steering column on a 07 auris.

i mean the top and bottom covers the indicator and wiper stalks poke through.

the no sign of any screws holding them together.

want fit a suplementary direction indicator buzzer (as original cant be heared.

and i want to pick up feeds under there.

would be very grateful for any advice.

I can't answer your dismantling question, but what are you hoping to attach too under there ?

The stalks will control a relay for the indicators... and you will probably get a switched 12 volts feed on the stalk on two wires depending left or right turn. Not a pulsing voltage. There could be a lot of variations on how it's wired ultimately.

It's easy electrically to connect the left and right indicator light feeds via two diodes and then to a buzzer. The diodes maintain 100% isolation between the two sides yet allow either or both (hazard) lights to operate the buzzer. You can probably access the rear light cluster for that.

hi fans

does anyone know how to remove the top and bottom covers the indicator and wiper stalks poke through.

first time remove the "-" Battery terminal, because you have to remove the driver aibag and the steering wheel too

I can't answer your dismantling question, but what are you hoping to attach too under there ?

The stalks will control a relay for the indicators... and you will probably get a switched 12 volts feed on the stalk on two wires depending left or right turn. Not a pulsing voltage. There could be a lot of variations on how it's wired ultimately.

It's easy electrically to connect the left and right indicator light feeds via two diodes and then to a buzzer. The diodes maintain 100% isolation between the two sides yet allow either or both (hazard) lights to operate the buzzer. You can probably access the rear light cluster for that.

hi mooly

have buzzer a electric mech one didnt want anything screechy also diodes .

no problem sorting how to do it,went to offside rear light cluster and found wire to flasher but wiring from there means trim inside doors plus trim in footwell all has to be removed to bring buzzer to front of cabin.

the wire feeding bulb on offside is blue with gold dot on it every inch.

but when i found the (same clours) in the footwell harness and tested(yes was switched on) no feed i checked it many times.

so thats why ive gone for the two wires coming from indicator switch plus the advantage of shorter run.

i am not an auto electrician my expertese is on mechanicl side, but over the years ive fitted alarms, imoblisers

electric windows tow bar electrics etc so i am not without some knowledge.

i was toying with the idea of using the cars warning system but that would have been a step to far without a

manuel.

car electrics are far more complcated these days.and as they say a little knowledge can be dangerous.

ill try and find how the shrouds are removes somehow, i bet they held by clips so have to be careful i dont crack them.

hi fans

does anyone know how to remove the top and bottom covers the indicator and wiper stalks poke through.

here is shown how to remove the lights/wippers block switch; first time remove the "-" Battery terminal, because you have to remove the driver aibag and the steering wheel too, but let's the pcs to tell us about the job...

thanks tavy

its a bit awkward understanding the instuctions in irish but i think ive got the swing of it

cheers.

hi again

forgot to mention thought of picking feed from front repeater lights but though found colour for wire cant find the small harness either under bonnet or footwell

getting to old for this am considering look up old highway code and brushing up on hand signals.

may let wife do driving. second thoughts no way.

If I did understand what you mean, you don't have to remove the steering wheel to remove the shrouds. Just stick some screwdriver between the upper and lower panel and move it up and down to separate the panels. You should get them both removed that way.

Acetip... modern wiring may use the following,

http://www.elektor.com/Uploads/Files/CANbus_1.pdf

whereby any device needing user control is simply fed a permanent 12 volt supply and a couple of "data" connections. This technique allows any number of "devices" to be operated independantly on the same wiring saving literally 10's or 100's of meters of wire.

That's why picking up a true "switched" 12 volts that directly activates each light is a surefire way of getting it to work. Whether lighting uses this technique I don't know.

You could perhaps add wires to the front light feeds and run these into te cabin... working on cars is never easy somehow :)

If I did understand what you mean, you don't have to remove the steering wheel to remove the shrouds. Just stick some screwdriver between the upper and lower panel and move it up and down to separate the panels. You should get them both removed that way.

thanks speed chaser

i am holding back on removing the moment,as seperating them is going to be akward without marking them or any

other damage. i will make that my last resort to find a place to find a live feed when indicators are on.

appreciate your post.

Acetip... modern wiring may use the following,

http://www.elektor.com/Uploads/Files/CANbus_1.pdf

whereby any device needing user control is simply fed a permanent 12 volt supply and a couple of "data" connections. This technique allows any number of "devices" to be operated independantly on the same wiring saving literally 10's or 100's of meters of wire.

That's why picking up a true "switched" 12 volts that directly activates each light is a surefire way of getting it to work. Whether lighting uses this technique I don't know.

You could perhaps add wires to the front light feeds and run these into te cabin... working on cars is never easy somehow :)

hi mooly.

yes i can pick a feed up at headlights/tailights.

but because the feed wire to front flasher is in harness in a very restricted area to work finding the wire conecting to it and doing a neat job would be very akward. same applies to the side repeater light,the wiring is hard to trace because of the harness wrapping.

so i am concentrating on the lightly wrapped harnesses running to rear lights under plastic cover just inside

front doors just above sills.

to take a feed direct from rear bulb connection would simple but it would removing the trim boot side,plastic covers inside doors side trim in footwells,

when removing these items that are sprung fitted it is not always sasy to get them refitted neatly as they distort in pulling them off.

shall not give up yet.

thanks for your advice and thanks to other members who have posted suggestions and advice.

watch this space for progress reports.

Know what you mean about working with trim... and it's a shame to mark/break anything.

Good luck with it.

Know what you mean about working with trim... and it's a shame to mark/break anything.

Good luck with it.

going to have to leave the project for a few days other commitments.

as the man said i shall return.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with it.

going to have to leave the project for a few days other commitments.

as the man said i shall return.

job all done,wife took grandchildren out in her car for the day,so was able to work in peace.

as have said earlier wanted to pick feed for buzzer from harness under plastic cover at bottom of front door frame.

had also considered feed from flasher unit behind instrument panel but again only able to get one hand in that area.

working on off side i found the flasher feed was a pale blue wire,but the same colour wire in door frame did not give a feed.i checked this using test lamp and a small sewing needle that i piecsd the wire insulation.

as this wire left the rear lamp holder in the harness and seemed to travelling along towards the front of the car behind right hand boot lining.

so i went the near side and went through the checks there.that side flasher is yellow.there 3 yellow wires in the harness.so did my needle check,BINGO second yellow i tested i got the test lamp flashing.i noticed there was also a pale blue wire in that harness as well,when i tested that it was the feed for the off side

i mounted the buzzer behind the instrument panel used sticky pads as no way could i get a drill in there.though buzzer had mounting holes.

i does not sound too bad but a little loud but will live with it for a while and may insulate it to reduce the volume some other time.

if any one else finds their indicator buzzer hard to hear the i will post giving mor details.

Hope you didnt mark any of the dash like me :(

I spent a good 30 min trying to persuade the shrouds around the steering column off gently

then with a sudden rush of madness i just ripped it off and in the process fell out the door onto my arse :lol:

Hope you didnt mark any of the dash like me :(

I spent a good 30 min trying to persuade the shrouds around the steering column off gently

then with a sudden rush of madness i just ripped it off and in the process fell out the door onto my ***** :lol:

hi ellfan

no i didnt touch shrouds at all. as you see in my prevous post i went for the harneses that are under platic you see when opening front doors, you step over them when getting in car.very easy to get at wiring there as the wires (about 10 each side) are not completly wrapped as in a fully wrapped harness.

because both feeds to rear indicators are on the nearsid it was easy route the two cables after taking out the glovebox.you can see right through from there to the back of the instrument housing.this makes it easy secure the feeds with ty-wraps to a choice of places.had i had to route any wires on the offside it would been very difficukt to make neat and exeptable job cos you cant remove much that side cos of the air bag that protects drivers legs.

having both feeds to rear lamp holder on the near side was a bonus.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links