Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Brake Pads

Trev Miles

Does anyone know what special tools are required when changing the rear brake pads on the new shape avensis with an electronic handbrake? I understand that a piston rewind tool will be required but what about resetting the 'brain' ecu so that it knows that new pads are fitted. Is it something that plugs into the OBD socket inside the car? If so does anyone one where one can be purchased?

Can anyone help me?? Any toyota mechanics visit here???

I suppose the new Avensis model will be the same as the 2003-2008 and the rear brake piston can just be pushed back into the cylinder by leverage or clamp. It will not be necessary to access the On Board Diagnostics. You will need spanners to remove the piston assembly and a screwdriver of similar to lever out the pads.

Fitter

Can anyone help me?? Any toyota mechanics visit here???

I suppose the new Avensis model will be the same as the 2003-2008 and the rear brake piston can just be pushed back into the cylinder by leverage or clamp. It will not be necessary to access the On Board Diagnostics. You will need spanners to remove the piston assembly and a screwdriver of similar to lever out the pads.

Fitter

This cannot be correct!! The car has an Electronic Parking Brake. Any more Toyota tecs out there with the right answers??

• 2 years later...

Did you ever do this job Trevor? Did you need to reset the epb ecu? I read conflicting accounts elsewhere.

Gary

My Son who has this model just bought the new disk's and pads from Toyota and fitted them himself, no special tools used, although he did say a rewind tool for the pistons would have made the job easier.

That sounds promising. I've read elsewhere that holding the EPB button down for 5 seconds will initiate a reset, so that could be something that might help- perhaps your son did that. Whether 'reset' means 'recalibrate' I've no idea.

Gary

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links