Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Rav4 Owner - Not Impressed!

MikeHarris

As I am new here I would like to say Hi to all...

I bought my T180 in October 2011 so have now had it less than 5 months. Aside from the fuel consumption (30mpg average not town driving either) which is awful for a vehicle of it's size, weight & engine type I have to report that with regards to most things I am generally unimpressed by the thing. It is in fantastic condition and only had 37k on the clock when I bought it and I have only done 5000 miles since I bought it.

For a car of its age and mileage it feels quite badly built and not very solid, the gearbox is awful especially in the lower gears. For a 4wd vehicle it was the worst of it's kind that i've driven in the snow and was just as skittish as a little front wheel drive fiesta.

To top it all off, today I take it in for it's MOT and have just been informed that it has failed because the steering racking is worn out?... On a 4x4 with less than 50k on the clock! I was also informed at the same time that this vehicle actually had a new engine fitted 2 years ago just within warranty!!!

All I can say is OMG and that I can't wait to get it sorted so I can sell it as fast as possible before the engine or gearbox breaks!

Any comments or similar experiences?

I bought my T180 in October 2011 so have now had it less than 5 months. Aside from the fuel consumption (30mpg average not town driving either) which is awful for a vehicle of it's size, weight & engine type I have to report that with regards to most things I am generally unimpressed by the thing. It is in fantastic condition and only had 37k on the clock when I bought it and I have only done 5000 miles since I bought it.

For a car of its age and mileage it feels quite badly built and not very solid, the gearbox is awful especially in the lower gears. For a 4wd vehicle it was the worst of it's kind that i've driven in the snow and was just as skittish as a little front wheel drive fiesta.

To top it all off, today I take it in for it's MOT and have just been informed that it has failed because the steering racking is worn out?... On a 4x4 with less than 50k on the clock! I was also informed at the same time that this vehicle actually had a new engine fitted 2 years ago just within warranty!!!

All I can say is OMG and that I can't wait to get it sorted so I can sell it as fast as possible before the engine or gearbox breaks!

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear your problems but, to be honest, your experience isn't the norm. We've got two RAVs currently and have had 6 Toyotas in last 12 years. I have to say they have all been excellent in terms of running costs, quality & reliability. During that same period I've also run Peugeot, Saab & BMW company cars which have not been as satisfying as the Toyotas as ownership propositions.

I appreciate that doesn't help you with your current RAV. I guess all I'm saying is don't write them all off as being as disappointing as yours.

Good luck,

Jim

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear your problems but, to be honest, your experience isn't the norm. We've got two RAVs currently and have had 6 Toyotas in last 12 years. I have to say they have all been excellent in terms of running costs, quality & reliability. During that same period I've also run Peugeot, Saab & BMW company cars which have not been as satisfying as the Toyotas as ownership propositions.

I appreciate that doesn't help you with your current RAV. I guess all I'm saying is don't write them all off as being as disappointing as yours.

Good luck,

Jim

Hi Jim, thanks for your reply...

Sorry as usual I didn't include my full story with my initial rant. I have owned Toyotas for the last 10 years, starting with the original Avensis....

1st Toyota: Avensis 1.8vvti (02 plate) - bought as an ex-demonstrator with 11k on the clock and used as a company car. Generally it was very reliable but felt very tinny overall, I did have intermittent problems with the rear brakes seizing several times over the years but this was a common fault. At 65k the gearbox synchro blew (which was also a common fault on these) but as I bought the vehicle from Toyota as new in a way I had the gearbox reconditioned and Toyota gave me some free vouchers for servicing etc. Which is kindof the reason I then stuck with them.

2nd Toyota: Avensis 2.0 T3 D4D (56 plate) - bought new at a special price and also used as a company car, had it for nearly 3 years and did 70k with changing nothing but tyres & brake pads. Excellent car, in a different world build quality wise compared to the Avensis Mk1.

3rd Toyota: Rav4 D4D (02 plate) - circumstances changed and needed a cheaper car, unfortunately this one was clearly mistreated by a farmer and not regularly serviced. It had too many problems to list but generally I never considered that it was an engineering problem and was more of a "not properly maintained" problem. Generally it felt like a solid car although very basic, so when able I decided to upgrade for a newer shaped Rav4.

4th Toyota: Rav4 T180 D4D (56 plate) - Problems mentioned in 1st post above, but this has never felt as solid or as well built as the 02 Rav I had.

Mike, we came from an X-Trail to the RAV, it was like comparing Panda cola to Coca cola!! :P

I personally think that they are very well built and wouldn't be put off by the new engine scenario - mine had one last November due to high oil consumption and is now fine and there are a few others on here who have had a new motor too.

As for the steering rack - not sure why that has gone but ours failed an MOT last week due to there being no adjustment on the passenger side headlight unit which I was realy surprised with on a car that is not even 4 years old yet!!

Get yourself a Toyota warranty for piece of mind if you are planning on keeping the car - you can buy one even if you didn't buy the vehicle from Toyota. Our warranty has just paid for our new headlight unit :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martin

Firstly the engines in these cars is and has been a fairly major problem. My car has had two in the last six months the last one being just last week....

See here for more info on the now infamous 2AD engine.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132178

Build quality on the cars are very good but let down in some areas like the interior where squeaks and rattles are the norm..

2 weeks ago I had to replace the drivers seat because the creaking was driving Me round the bend and I do a lot of miles and long trips...

As for its AWD Ability I have found My car to be exceptional and was driving through snow literally 2 feet deep down in Cambridge 3 weeks ago. So I don't understand You problems there ??

30 MPG is not so good but this will rise when the temperatures go up. The reason for the thirst is that it takes an age for the diesel engine to warm up !!

Lindop Toyota do a tuning box that increases power and torque and also improves economy. PM Kingo on here...

Gearbox is notchy between 1st and 2nd gear . Most of Us adopt a style where once the vehicle is moving and the revs are low We select second and away we go. If You are having problems with any other gears something is wrong..

My car was massively improved by having the clutch replaced when the first engine was fitted 9,000 miles ago. There is also a modified mounting bracket that apparently helps but as I reasonably happy I haven't bothered to Shell out the 70 odd quid the bracket costs...

Your engine has an extended warranty up until the car is seven Years old or 118,000 miles. This is provided by Toyota so You have no worries until that warranty expires....

Like Your self I am bitterly disappointed by My car . I have over the past month or so been trying really hard to sell or trade the car in but the values of the car are just so low now it beggars belief.

I truly believe that the word is out about this engine and dealers simply do not want to take these cars in PX. Many on here dispute that and disagree strongly.

My answer is simple. Try trading one in ...

The Rav is a fabulous car despite its downfalls. But in My case I believe only financial suicide will rid Me of a car that should and is to a large degree a car that suits My needs right down to the ground..

I am sat firmly between the devil and the deep blue sea.. I have a car which I now dislike intensely but is now likely sorted. I wish to get rid but to do so is going to cost dearly...

I sincerely wish You better luck selling than I have had....

Back in about 1993 I needed a new steering rack on a Carina - a year old I think so under warranty, but has no more trouble in 5 years with the car.

There is a lot on this site about replacement engines for the T180 but hopefully your replacement engine will be fine.

Regarding handing in snow - they are good for pulling away and uphill but like any big car will slide downhill and around corners. I much prefer the handing of the RAV to a Landcruiser I owned....

David

Mike, we came from an X-Trail to the RAV, it was like comparing Panda cola to Coca cola!! :P

I personally think that they are very well built and wouldn't be put off by the new engine scenario - mine had one last November due to high oil consumption and is now fine and there are a few others on here who have had a new motor too.

As for the steering rack - not sure why that has gone but ours failed an MOT last week due to there being no adjustment on the passenger side headlight unit which I was realy surprised with on a car that is not even 4 years old yet!!

Get yourself a Toyota warranty for piece of mind if you are planning on keeping the car - you can buy one even if you didn't buy the vehicle from Toyota. Our warranty has just paid for our new headlight unit :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martin

Excessive oil consumption engine replacement... That means all 4 people I have spoken to who have a T180, have had replacement engines in their car and all due to the same symptoms!!! Clearly the T180's are just flawed in general, which may explain why they stopped making them.

I have no intention of keeping the car to be honest especially as I have no warranty on the vehicle. In my honest opinion in situations like this where the car has exceptionally low mileage and has been well maintained serious mechanical failiures like mine should be convered by the manufacturer regardless of age.

Unfortunately the fact is that now I am looking at a £2000 bill for a car which is essentially almost new. A car which was the best part of £30k new and has only done 42k miles should have no major mechanical flaws whatsoever especially with things like the engine, gearbox & rack etc (the expensive bits)

That fact that you have also had an engine replacement, along with myself and the 2 other people I know only helps me to confirm that I want to get shot of it as soon as possible.

Initially I went for the Rav4 because I wanted a 4x4 but didnt want anything huge or too expensive to run, I was also looking at CRV's, Grand Vitaras, Freelander 2's and many others. I went for the Rav for 3 reasons, my past history with Toyota, the T180's standard kit and because the mpg figures of 42.6 which were on average 5-6 mpg better than the others.

This is the other thing I am appalled about, the mpg quoted by Toyota in my opinion is impossible to get anywhere near. The last avensis I had I was getting on average very similar or higher than Toyota quoted and this has normally been the case with my previous cars. Even if it doesnt quite get there then it's close. 42.6 is laughable, i did a 300 mile round trip on motorways last week with the cruise control on and hovering around 60-70mph... 31mpg I got which is 25% below quoted figures, i've even recently taken it to Toyota to get it checked to see if there are any issues and they said no, thats what they would expect from a T180! I've just checked and the average since i've had the car is showing as 27.4 with hardly no town driving, my mechanic friend has a Mitsubishi Shogun which is a 2.8v6 TD and weighs 3T, he averages 27mpg!

Given the mpg and the problems i've had i'm going to fix it as cheaply as possible and then sell it and buy a Freelander2, which according to the figures i've read and people I speak to are very reliable.

I am not trying to offend anybody and I am sure that the normal Rav4's are as reliable as most toyotas seem to be and I am fairly sure if I had bought an XT4 or something then I would have no issues at all. However these T180's are a menace, everyone I speak to moans about them and all the information I google points towards inherrant engine & gearbox problems.

Sorry, Rant over

Firstly the engines in these cars is and has been a fairly major problem. My car has had two in the last six months the last one being just last week....

See here for more info on the now infamous 2AD engine.

http://www.toyotaown...howtopic=132178

Thanks, yes I have been hovering and reading for a few weeks and read that recently.

Build quality on the cars are very good but let down in some areas like the interior where squeaks and rattles are the norm..

2 weeks ago I had to replace the drivers seat because the creaking was driving Me round the bend and I do a lot of miles and long trips...

Yes, squeaks, rattles, bangs and now the clunking of the rack over bumps and such, none of which I would class as an indication of build quality. My last Avensis felt as solid as an Audi or a BMW, my 02 plate older shape Rav4 felt generally more solid.

As for its AWD Ability I have found My car to be exceptional and was driving through snow literally 2 feet deep down in Cambridge 3 weeks ago. So I don't understand You problems there ??

Again, the older Rav4 I had was exceptional in the snow for a small 4x4, this sucks by comparison.

30 MPG is not so good but this will rise when the temperatures go up. The reason for the thirst is that it takes an age for the diesel engine to warm up !! Lindop Toyota do a tuning box that increases power and torque and also improves economy. PM Kingo on here...

Thanks for the info, if I was intending to keep it then I might give them a call. As far as the MPG goes it was 28deg c on the day I bought it and drove it 300 miles home and only averaged about 33mpg.

Gearbox is notchy between 1st and 2nd gear . Most of Us adopt a style where once the vehicle is moving and the revs are low We select second and away we go. If You are having problems with any other gears something is wrong..

My car was massively improved by having the clutch replaced when the first engine was fitted 9,000 miles ago. There is also a modified mounting bracket that apparently helps but as I reasonably happy I haven't bothered to shell out the 70 odd quid the bracket costs...

Mainly 1st & 2nd yea, but again to me a sign of very poor build quality on Toyotas part.

Your engine has an extended warranty up until the car is seven Years old or 118,000 miles. This is provided by Toyota so You have no worries until that warranty expires....

Like Your self I am bitterly disappointed by My car . I have over the past month or so been trying really hard to sell or trade the car in but the values of the car are just so low now it beggars belief.

I truly believe that the word is out about this engine and dealers simply do not want to take these cars in PX. Many on here dispute that and disagree strongly.

My answer is simple. Try trading one in ...

The Rav is a fabulous car despite its downfalls. But in My case I believe only financial suicide will rid Me of a car that should and is to a large degree a car that suits My needs right down to the ground..

I am sat firmly between the devil and the deep blue sea.. I have a car which I now dislike intensely but is now likely sorted. I wish to get rid but to do so is going to cost dearly...

I sincerely wish You better luck selling than I have had....

Thanks for all the info, hopefully I won't lose too much considering I only bought it less than 5 months ago and I paid £12,500 for it which looking at the prices at the time and even now was cheap. I am not sure how much you are trying to sell yours for but looking at the prices on Autotrader over the last few weeks dealers seem to be about £13-£15k for one the same age and similar mileage to mine, so if I sell for around £12k hopefully I should get some bites!

How will you sell it without an MOT?

No wonder the handling is poor if it needs a new rack, RAVs are renowned for their handling so something is adrift. What condition are the tyres in?

I'm sure a few rattles could be sorted out in no time at all

Kingo :thumbsup:

No wonder the handling is poor if it needs a new rack, RAVs are renowned for their handling so something is adrift. What condition are the tyres in?

MOT on Thursday this week, have bought a 2nd hand rack from a dismantlers (which is tested and guaranteed for £100). The garage is fitting it for me, then I will sell it a.s.a.p.

The rack problem is stupid really, whats wrong is the ball joints on either side are knackered... Normally those would just be replaceable rod ends at no more than £50 each but Toyota in their wisdom have decided to fix those end joints to the sides of the rack meaning the whole rack needs replacing instead of just a couple of track-rod ends... The rack itself is fine!

As for the rattles, tbh I shouldn't have to worry about fixing crap like that in a 5 year old car with 42k on the clock that cost £30k new. I used to fix rattles in my old cars I had when I was younger but they all cost less than £2k and were very old.

I also have a 54 plate BMW Z4 sitting in the drive that's done 60k and hardly gets used (maybe 3000 miles a year). The suspension in that is hard as rock but that doesn't rattle and feels considerably more refined and well built than the Rav4.

The thing is that everybody wants a car with the performance of hot hatch but nobody is impressed with the payoff in fuel consumption although Toyota have quoted their official results which are rarely achievable unless the car is testedin perfect conditions on a track.

I would write to Toyota and tell them about the rack and the mileage and just see what they say. Take care though because if the fault is a clunk it could be the intermediate shaft which is not uncommon and much cheaper.

Resale values of anything are garbage at the moment. If you give your RAV to a retailer they will mark it up and sell it at the going rate. Any talk of duff engines won't come into the equation. Thats life.

I have an XT5 and at 54K mine too needed an engine replacement, the same when I tried to sell it off me too had the same problem regarding value as the dealers are aware of their engine problems, so I'll prefer to stick with it then to loose its value.

Regarding MPG, with the old engine it was usually run at 40'sMPG but now with the new engine its hard to keep 34-36MPG(maybe still needs to be run in) done only 2K with this engine. Something i like about this engine is that is much smoother.

The gear change I agree it's horrible especially as mentioned the 1st to 2nd gears but overall its nice to drive and the power/acceleration (140bhp) is very impressive compared to the vehicle weight.

Firstly You seem to have missed the point that it is the cold weather at the moment that is holding back economy..

My car was simply drinking fuel until the engine was replaced. Then it went op considerably. After adding the Lindop chip I now see 42MPG on the longer run and 37 to 39 round the town which for such a big heavy and WELL BUILT car is very good indeed !

I stress well built as the car its self is very solid and feels like an extremely well put together vehicle when driven over the crater ridden surface that We now call roads.. Yes there are and continue to be squeaks and the odd rattle and that's poor but that I can with the exception of the seat live with .....

12K ?? Well take a look at My car in the link below...

http://pistonheads.com/sales/3547728.htm

Best offer so far ??? 10K. Trade in ? Worst ? 7.5K best 9K and that was against a brand new Rav4 SR....

Ha Ha I hear you all say.. Ole Charlie .. Going to buy another Rav.......

My saving grace is that I paid peanuts for My car. That of course does not alter what it should be worth though !

Well I have complained bitterly about My car. But its finding another vehicle with its ability and space and economy this side of 30K !!

But as said I am not selling the car for peanuts.. Pi$$ed of as I am I aint stupid...

In a way its a comfort to know that My one is not the worst one...

If Your engine was done before June last Year it will have been a rebuilt one with just the pistons and rings changed. Later ones had the 3/4 engine which in Toyota speak is the complete engine unit.

As for singling out the T180. Well all the 2.2s share the same engine. The T180 is just in a slightly higher state of tune So an XT4 or 5 could have been just the same..

The slightly notch gear change is not a sign of bad or poor build quality. Its a characteristic and You have to bear in mind this is after all a 4WD Vehicle with a transfer box.

I repeat I am very disappointed in the car and will get rid soon but lets be fair here. Toyota have gone way beyond what almost if not all manufacturers would have done Re the engines. A good one is a very good car indeed. Comfortable, Spacious, Superbly equipped ( Especially in T180 guise) and economical.. And apart from the engines well built.....

Cheers

Martin

Excessive oil consumption engine replacement... That means all 4 people I have spoken to who have a T180, have had replacement engines in their car and all due to the same symptoms!!! Clearly the T180's are just flawed in general, which may explain why they stopped making them.

I have no intention of keeping the car to be honest especially as I have no warranty on the vehicle. In my honest opinion in situations like this where the car has exceptionally low mileage and has been well maintained serious mechanical failiures like mine should be convered by the manufacturer regardless of age.

Unfortunately the fact is that now I am looking at a £2000 bill for a car which is essentially almost new. A car which was the best part of £30k new and has only done 42k miles should have no major mechanical flaws whatsoever especially with things like the engine, gearbox & rack etc (the expensive bits)

That fact that you have also had an engine replacement, along with myself and the 2 other people I know only helps me to confirm that I want to get shot of it as soon as possible.

Initially I went for the Rav4 because I wanted a 4x4 but didnt want anything huge or too expensive to run, I was also looking at CRV's, Grand Vitaras, Freelander 2's and many others. I went for the Rav for 3 reasons, my past history with Toyota, the T180's standard kit and because the mpg figures of 42.6 which were on average 5-6 mpg better than the others.

This is the other thing I am appalled about, the mpg quoted by Toyota in my opinion is impossible to get anywhere near. The last avensis I had I was getting on average very similar or higher than Toyota quoted and this has normally been the case with my previous cars. Even if it doesnt quite get there then it's close. 42.6 is laughable, i did a 300 mile round trip on motorways last week with the cruise control on and hovering around 60-70mph... 31mpg I got which is 25% below quoted figures, i've even recently taken it to Toyota to get it checked to see if there are any issues and they said no, thats what they would expect from a T180! I've just checked and the average since i've had the car is showing as 27.4 with hardly no town driving, my mechanic friend has a Mitsubishi Shogun which is a 2.8v6 TD and weighs 3T, he averages 27mpg!

Given the mpg and the problems i've had i'm going to fix it as cheaply as possible and then sell it and buy a Freelander2, which according to the figures i've read and people I speak to are very reliable.

I am not trying to offend anybody and I am sure that the normal Rav4's are as reliable as most toyotas seem to be and I am fairly sure if I had bought an XT4 or something then I would have no issues at all. However these T180's are a menace, everyone I speak to moans about them and all the information I google points towards inherrant engine & gearbox problems.

Sorry, Rant over

I have an XT5 and at 54K mine too needed an engine replacement, the same when I tried to sell it off me too had the same problem regarding value as the dealers are aware of their engine problems, so I'll prefer to stick with it then to loose its value.

Regarding MPG, with the old engine it was usually run at 40'sMPG but now with the new engine its hard to keep 34-36MPG(maybe still needs to be run in) done only 2K with this engine. Something i like about this engine is that is much smoother.

The gear change I agree it's horrible especially as mentioned the 1st to 2nd gears but overall its nice to drive and the power/acceleration (140bhp) is very impressive compared to the vehicle weight.

Firstly You seem to have missed the point that it is the cold weather at the moment that is holding back economy..

My car was simply drinking fuel until the engine was replaced. Then it went op considerably. After adding the Lindop chip I now see 42MPG on the longer run and 37 to 39 round the town which for such a big heavy and WELL BUILT car is very good indeed !

I stress well built as the car its self is very solid and feels like an extremely well put together vehicle when driven over the crater ridden surface that We now call roads.. Yes there are and continue to be squeaks and the odd rattle and that's poor but that I can with the exception of the seat live with .....

http://pistonheads.com/sales/3547728.htm

Best offer so far ??? 10K. Trade in ? Worst ? 7.5K best 9K and that was against a brand new Rav4 SR....

My saving grace is that I paid peanuts for My car. That of course does not alter what it should be worth though !

Well I have complained bitterly about My car. But its finding another vehicle with its ability and space and economy this side of 30K !!

But as said I am not selling the car for peanuts.. Pi$$ed of as I am I aint stupid...

In a way its a comfort to know that My one is not the worst one...

If Your engine was done before June last Year it will have been a rebuilt one with just the pistons and rings changed. Later ones had the 3/4 engine which in Toyota speak is the complete engine unit.

As for singling out the T180. Well all the 2.2s share the same engine. The T180 is just in a slightly higher state of tune So an XT4 or 5 could have been just the same..

The slightly notch gear change is not a sign of bad or poor build quality. Its a characteristic and You have to bear in mind this is after all a 4WD Vehicle with a transfer box.

I repeat I am very disappointed in the car and will get rid soon but lets be fair here. Toyota have gone way beyond what almost if not all manufacturers would have done Re the engines. A good one is a very good car indeed. Comfortable, Spacious, Superbly equipped ( Especially in T180 guise) and economical.. And apart from the engines well built.....

The thing is that everybody wants a car with the performance of hot hatch but nobody is impressed with the payoff in fuel consumption although Toyota have quoted their official results which are rarely achievable unless the car is testedin perfect conditions on a track. I would write to Toyota and tell them about the rack and the mileage and just see what they say. Take care though because if the fault is a clunk it could be the intermediate shaft which is not uncommon and much cheaper. Resale values of anything are garbage at the moment. If you give your RAV to a retailer they will mark it up and sell it at the going rate. Any talk of duff engines won't come into the equation. Thats life.

Sorry Don I have to differ on that last comment.. The cat is well and truly out of the bag re the engines in the diesel cars... I spoke to two separate Audi Dealers and one Ford Dealer, All three stated the stigma that surround these cars now !!

Of course not everyone knows and a couple of other Dealers made no comment about it at all.

Of course Dealers will pick any bone if They think they can get the trade in for less but I'm to old a cat to be rubber ducked by that kitten...

The thing is that everybody wants a car with the performance of hot hatch but nobody is impressed with the payoff in fuel consumption although Toyota have quoted their official results which are rarely achievable unless the car is testedin perfect conditions on a track.

Sorry I don't agree, yes the figures are stated in test conditions etc but nevertheless they are clearly miles out. For example my old Avensis I think the book claimed the combined mpg figure as 50.2 or something like that, I got 56mpg. The Freelander 2's claim about 38 combined and you get about 33/34, infact most cars are around 10% below manufacturers figures.

I would write to Toyota and tell them about the rack and the mileage and just see what they say. Take care though because if the fault is a clunk it could be the intermediate shaft which is not uncommon and much cheaper.

It is definitely the rack, my friend thought it was going to be the intermediate but turned out not to be. Still a stupid design attaching wear & tear components to solid mechanical ones.

I did try speaking to Toyota and basically got told to sod off in a nice way, they just said the garage may be able to convince toyota to give me some good will...

Resale values of anything are garbage at the moment. If you give your RAV to a retailer they will mark it up and sell it at the going rate. Any talk of duff engines won't come into the equation. Thats life.

Yes, that's true. I looked at several T180's at the local Toyota Dealers prior to buying one, I paid £12,500. The local Toyota dealers would have advertised the same car for £15k++ and in the same breath just for a laugh I called them pretending to want to trade in against a new one and they said they would offer me around £10k... All main car dealers are just crooks in my opinion!

http://pistonheads.c...les/3547728.htm

Yes, I was offered £9k against a trade in on a similar age Freelander2 by a Land Rover dealer, but as I said all main dealers are crooks with trade in prices.

I know you may be struggling to sell yours but I will be advertising mine for about £12k and it has done 10k less miles and is a year newer (2007-56 plate), hopefully I will be able to sell quickly (fingers crossed) http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/mickeybluepants/IMG_0102.jpg

One of my friends is in the trade and I will ask him to check properly for me tomorrow but when we talked a few weeks back he told me that the trade value on mine to a main dealer should be around £12k against a new and private good condition was around £13.5k but those were off the top of his head.

Does Your car have any extras ? Style pack ? ect ect ?? My one is a 56 plate but registered in late 06. Matters not really. I paid sod all for My one but it doesn't mean I'm going to give it away... Also bear in mind that My one had a brand new not re manufactured engine just last week and the trade in figures look even sadder..

Interested to read the comments about gears, as I've always had trouble with our 4.2 when going from 1st to 2nd, but not anywhere else.

It is REALLY annoying to pull out into a gap in traffic in 1st, only to find yourself stuck in the middle of the road (probably with something approaching you at speed!) simply because the shift refuses to go into 2nd <grrrr>. When we first got the car (2nd-hand) we took it back to the dealers to be checked on 2 or 3 occasions, but they claimed not to be able to find any fault.

Does Your car have any extras ? Style pack ? ect ect ?? My one is a 56 plate but registered in late 06. Matters not really. I paid sod all for My one but it doesn't mean I'm going to give it away... Also bear in mind that My one had a brand new not re manufactured engine just last week and the trade in figures look even sadder..

I think it has pretty much everything it can have on it except the roof rails & towbar, it has the side runners and front kit piece... http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/mickeybluepants/IMG_0102.jpg

I think it has pretty much everything it can have on it except the roof rails & towbar, it has the side runners and front kit piece... http://i114.photobuc...ts/IMG_0102.jpg

Looks a nice car.. Good colour as well. I wonder if in a couple of months the caravanners will be out looking for tow vehicles ?? There are just so many nice cars looking for homes at the moment.. As Don says above its a bad time to sell anything but I believe for every decent car there is a buyer.. Ha Ha lets hope they aint been on here..

Good luck with it !

I've been on this site reading posts for a few weeks now, and I'm amazed how many people claim to own a Rav, but hate it. Then why did you buy it? I have only had mine for just over 2 months but love it. I researched it for months, looking at other 4x4's and reviews, and am very happy with my choice. I had a corolla verso for 3 years before this, and it was extreamly reliable and only costs where 2 new tyres. My boyfriend has a Yaris which he thinks is great. We have had very good service from our 2 local Toyota dealers (one of them gave me a great deal on my old car). Come on people, lets hear it for Toyota and give the trolls a wide berth.

I've been on this site reading posts for a few weeks now, and I'm amazed how many people claim to own a Rav, but hate it. Then why did you buy it? I have only had mine for just over 2 months but love it. I researched it for months, looking at other 4x4's and reviews, and am very happy with my choice. I had a corolla verso for 3 years before this, and it was extreamly reliable and only costs where 2 new tyres. My boyfriend has a Yaris which he thinks is great. We have had very good service from our 2 local Toyota dealers (one of them gave me a great deal on my old car). Come on people, lets hear it for Toyota and give the trolls a wide berth.

Why did I buy it ? For the legendary build quality and reliability that comes with a Toyota..

Dont get Me wrong it has not let Me down . Neither has anything fallen off,, But after two engines I reserve the right to sell up and buy something else !! Unfortunately I had no idea about the issues that the car has when I bought it as it was about then that these issues started to become apparent big style...

I think You should appreciate that Your 2011 car is post ( I hope) problem car so You are not and likely will not find Your self in the same boat that Mike and I are in..

Trolls ? You with Your 11 posts ??

Jen Be smug with You car Be happy You bought an 11 plate car with none of the problems....

But don't be sat there saying that those less fortunate are trolls because We cant sing the praises of the cars We were naive enough to buy.........

Well, to be honest Jen, I bought my RAV with the impression that it would be pretty much bomb proof being a Toyota. However, that impression has not been fully bourne out in my ownership experience.

That being said, it is incredibly versatile and a comanding drive. I use it on my daily commute along country lanes and also take it into central London and either type of journey in whatever weather, I always feel confident in it's capabilities.

My personal view is that it is generally a well designed vehicle [apart from some obvious omissions] but that the supposedly legendary Toyota quality control has slipped.

The D4D engine issue being a case in point. Toyota are doing the honourable thing but, to me, it seems like 'Stable door and bolting horse'

I could list all the niggles but frankly it's too depressing having spent twice as much on buying this car new than I have done on any car in the last 38 years.

Charlie

Yes, hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones to sell quickly and I will let you know what I get feedback wise and price wise... Like yourself I would almost call myself a loyal Toyota customer because of my past experiences with them and the general feel of many of my friends who are either car sales people or mechanics. Anyone I have spoken to about my problems has been very surprised that it is a Toyota product with this many problems.

Unfortunately my general experience with this vehicle has not been good, coupled with the attitude of my local dealers and Toyota themselves when I called them earlier today has made me extremely angry. As a general consumer these days it seems like we always get shoddy service from any supplier these days.

I think what surprises me the most is that given Toyotas history of good reliability in general together with looking at a vehicles like the Landcruiser and Hilux which are considered legendary and bulletproof that they can not only produce a vehicle with this many issues but allow those vehicles with those issues to continue being made for many years without solving the problem. To me the principle of the whole thing is awful that this engine problem for example started in 2006 and has gone on for at least 3 years possibly more. If this had of been a braking system problem for example which may have been dangerous it would have been more than bad enough to warrant a complete factory recall!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links