Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Roof Rails

Howard_M

Hi, anyone who has roof rails installed could help me to check the type of screws are used. I purchased a set of PT278-42131 OE roof rails from the US for my 2013 RAV4, since in the place I live, roof rails are not even optional . The screws at the bottom of each end of the rails are hex socket. However some told me that genuine OE roof rails use philips screws. Could anyone advise the type of screws on your 2013 RAV4? Thanks.

Moved to Rav4 club.

If of any help, I quite recently fitted roof rails to my "one of the last run out Ravs" of 2012, and they had 10mm x 50mm hex BOLTS to tighten them down, to a surprisingly high specified torque setting........makes sense considering what the rails may be called upon to do.

My point......Phillips Screws to secure.......nah.......I have ma doubts.

Big Kev.......torquing rubbish...again?

• Like 1

I've had OEM Toyota roof bars for our 4.2 & for our LC; They are both Mont Blanc but badged "Toyota" - the 4.2's are from MB's "Classic" range & the LC's are "Aero". Both sets also fit the 4.3 and both sets have HEX bolts as Kev has described,

In fact the LC set also comes with the appropriate sized HEX key c/w a rather natty torque gauge to get the ttightness spot-on. Given the degree of tightening that is required, I can't imagine Phillips screws being any use.

If of any help, I quite recently fitted roof rails to my "one of the last run out Ravs" of 2012, and they had 10mm x 50mm hex BOLTS to tighten them down, to a surprisingly high specified torque setting........makes sense considering what the rails may be called upon to do.

My point......Phillips Screws to secure.......nah.......I have ma doubts.

Big Kev.......torquing rubbish...again?

Thanks Kevin, it helps me a lot!

I've had OEM Toyota roof bars for our 4.2 & for our LC; They are both Mont Blanc but badged "Toyota" - the 4.2's are from MB's "Classic" range & the LC's are "Aero". Both sets also fit the 4.3 and both sets have HEX bolts as Kev has described,

In fact the LC set also comes with the appropriate sized HEX key c/w a rather natty torque gauge to get the ttightness spot-on. Given the degree of tightening that is required, I can't imagine Phillips screws being any use.

firemac, now I think it is due to factory default. Maybe MIJ products use a lot of philips screws but hex are used in rest of the world.

firemac, now I think it is due to factory default. Maybe MIJ products use a lot of philips screws but hex are used in rest of the world.

Could be, Howard, but I can't see Phillips being any use anywhere since the amount of torque that Toyota specify simply couldn't be applied with a Phillips driver without destroying the screwhead. IMHO.

And, as BK says, when you consider the conditions that the rails work under and the weights/forces applied to them, the torque setting isn't surprising.

Hmmm, possibly confusing Phillips screws with Torx screws?

Party smants.....ah just thought of that whilst at Parkheid cheering on Stan Petrov....!!!

Party smants.....ah just thought of that whilst at Parkheid cheering on Stan Petrov....!!!

A wonderful and noble cause for an absolute legend Kevster.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links