Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hud Ghosting

Chippy01

I suffered a crack in my windscreen, and had to get the screen changed.

Since then, I have noticed a ghosting / double imaging effect on the HUD. It's so distracting that I've had to turn it off.

Anyone have this problem before, and if so how did you fix it?

Was the windscreen replacement claimed for on your car insurance?

Most replacement screens installed via car insurance funding are manufactured by third parties rather than OE manufacturers. I wonder if somehow the two layers of glass in the windscreen are each showing the HUD image, and thus causing the ghosting effect.

If this is the case, I would go back to the insurance company and glass replacement company to contest the suitability of the windscreen.

Yep it sounds like the new windscreen. There have been similar reports in the US where 3rd party windscreens have been causing ghosting or double images of oncoming car headlights (they didn't get the HUD until the last year).

Wonder if it's the shape of the Prius windscreen or dash layout that highlights cheaper copies?

I think it's the way some windscreens are made; They are usually some sort of glass-laminate sandwich and depending on the materials used and order of the sandwiching, could cause this as the HUD image will be reflected from both slices instead of just one?

(Just speculating so may be total BS :P :lol:)

• Like 1

That is all very interesting. Having read this thread if I ever require a windscreen for the Gen 3 I will take it to the Toyota dealer for repair.

Perhaps that makes a good case for insuring with Toyota's own recommended (associate?) company. Surely they'd get it right wouldn't they?

Or am I living in cloud cuckoo land.......

Looking at their policy summary, Aioi Nissay Dowa Insurance Company of Europe Limited (who provide insurance under Toyota Motor Insurance) contract with their 'chosen' glass company for glass repairs.

If their chosen company isn't used, repairs carry a £100 limit (which is a common clause amongst insurance companies)

That is all very interesting. Having read this thread if I ever require a windscreen for the Gen 3 I will take it to the Toyota dealer for repair.

Long story short, my car was recalled for the brake accumulator update. Somehow they cracked the screen doing the install. They replaced the screen a couple of days back, and I'm looking for info so I'm not fobbed off when I bring the car back to them on monday.

Looking at their policy summary, Aioi Nissay Dowa Insurance Company of Europe Limited (who provide insurance under Toyota Motor Insurance) contract with their 'chosen' glass company for glass repairs.

If their chosen company isn't used, repairs carry a £100 limit (which is a common clause amongst insurance companies)

That's for repairs. Replacement is different isn't it?

Though usually you pay the windscreen excess with one of their approved replacement glass companies and this excess can be increased if using someone else (as I assume they get discounts with autoglass etc).

No - my wording unfortunately.

Actual extract from a table within their policy summary as below:

"Broken Windscreen and window glass. Subject to excesses, unless repaired. £100 limit if our chosen glass company is not used."

As an example of other insurance companies, my partners LV policy (just renewed from 15th Feb) states:

"If our approved window glass supplier isn't used, there'll be a maximum amount we'll pay, full details are shown on your schedule."

The schedule reads:

"Our approved repairer is Autoglass. If you choose to use an alternative repairer, there is a £100 limit for any windscreen replacements."

The clause above would, I imagine, be similar for most car insurance companies

The dealers usually use third party installers anyway. I had mine replaced by Autoglass and they fitted an OEM Toyota windscreen no problems.

That is OK Kithmo at least Toyota guarantee all repairs etc that go through them. I also have Toyota insurance.

When I called Toyota Insurance a year ago to request a windscreen chip be repaired they sent AutoWindshields to my house.

The repair didn't last either, filler came out when I washed the car.

When I called Toyota Insurance a year ago to request a windscreen chip be repaired they sent AutoWindshields to my house.

The repair didn't last either, filler came out when I washed the car.

Well you should have got them back again. I think they bill the insurers about £80 for a repair! Mine have always been ok, though I think the knack is to get them repairered sooner than later.

Yep, the chip was already there when I bought the car (like a dope I didn't spot it initially), and when the AutoWindshields guy called he said it had been repaired previously as well.

Perhaps I should have insisted on a new screen there and then. Not in a MOT- covered spot though, so don't know whether that plea would work or not.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links