Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitting Parking Sensors

magoo75

Newbie question. Has anybody here fitted parking sensors to a '04 1.8 Avensis? I bought some online and i was considering installing them myself. My understanding is that to do this the rear bumper needs to be removed to allow boring to occur and also the fitting of the wiring,etc. Any help on how to remove a rear bumper or on any experiences of fitting these sensors would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ivan

• 4 months later...

Ivan, I have been trying to find out myself how to remove the rear bumper on the Avensis to fit sensors,have not received any positive answers yet but I think that the removal of the fixings under the place where the mud flaps are fitted and also the 4 fixings for the bumper which you see when the boot lid is lifted and also the the 2 special fixings UNDER the bumper . I'm waiting for the better weather to come before I tackle the job but if I succeed I will let you know.Incidently, the reversing light connection is the RED one.

If you have found out anymore info since your query could you let me know.Thank you best of luck

JimDee

Check this document

http://www.monoflex.nu/shop/pdf/en/16.8768.pdf

Actually a mounting instruction for towbar but may give some hints how to remove the rear bumper.

I have been thinking about mounting parking sensors myself but I reackon I can do it without removing the bumper. The sensor kit came with a specially adapted hole cutter for the sensors.

I think the biggest job is to paint the sensor since they came in black and my car is grey metallic.

Another thing to consider is to mount the sensors in the same position as Toyota do when ordered as optional equipment. I have the drawing for the T25 Estate but not for the 4 door Sedan.

// Ulro

Ulro, If the sensors are fitted into the BLACK plastic bumper on the 5door hatchback model then the black sensors would blend in OK colour wise, the greatest problem I see is that unless you remove the bumper how do you route the wires into the boot.The special cutter is only for drilling the holes in the bumper.

Still if you have any othe info I would sure like to know.

Thank you

JimDee

Ulro, If the sensors are fitted into the BLACK plastic bumper on the 5door hatchback model then the black sensors would blend in OK colour wise, the greatest problem I see is that unless you remove the bumper how do you route the wires into the boot.The special cutter is only for drilling the holes in the bumper.

Thank you

JimDee

I fitted mine without removing the bumber.

The only thing to look out for is to drill under the metal bar fixed against the rear of the bumber. check out the height to drill on the toyota website (any picture of an avensis with them installed will do). Routed wires with self adhesive cable clips on the bottom of the bumber. There are two rubber tops above either backwheel you can push out to get the wires into the boot...

Piece of P*ss !

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Good Question my friend, and I second it! Looking to make my new car a bit more 'personal' and the Toyota addons are spubik to say the least

• 1 month later...

Thank you

JimDee

I fitted mine without removing the bumber.

The only thing to look out for is to drill under the metal bar fixed against the rear of the bumber. check out the height to drill on the toyota website (any picture of an avensis with them installed will do). Routed wires with self adhesive cable clips on the bottom of the bumber. There are two rubber tops above either backwheel you can push out to get the wires into the boot...

Piece of P*ss !

Good luck!

Where did you get the parking sensors from?

magoo75

I bought my parking sensors from ParkingSensors.co.uk. I chose the AVRSBF4D model that comprises 4 recessed sensors and a small display unit that indicates which of the 4 sensors is detecting the obstruction and how far away it is.

As JeRRe has said, you do not need to remove the rear bumber. There is a 2 or 3 inch space between the plastic rear bumber and a steel support frame attached to the body that gives you sufficient clearance for drilling the holes for the transducers. I used a 24 mm hole cutter (not supplied).

To get the wires from the sensors into the boot, I removed the spare wheel and drilled a couple of holes in the wheel space and fitted the detector module on the inside edge of the wheel space. The supply leads from the device were run to the nearside rear light cluster, the positive being piggy-back connected to the live reversing light wire, and the negative to a convenient earth. The warning sounder and display unit were mounted on the rear parcel panel.

I found that to get the best possible coverage, you should aim to fit 4 sensors, and that when installed make sure you check their vertical and horizontal orientation.

(the sensors have a wedge shape to assist you).

The total cost-£58.99. You can buy systems that use self adhesive sensors for a bit less, but they are not a long term proposition. Don't worry about doing this mod., it is easy as long as you have some basic skill and a bit of comon sense. On no account get Toyota or a fitting company to do it for you. They will charge the earth! from £150 to £300 (depending on the system chosen).

To my mind, factory fitting of proximity sensors (all round, not just rear) should be almost mandatory on all new cars considering the modest extra cost that would be involved. On some, like the Nissan Primera, they have gone one stage further and fitted coloured rear view camers.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Interesting reading about self installing the parking sensors. I just bought my new Avensis which is going to be delivered in 3 weeks time. Unfortunately I'm no good with DIY and would not be happy with self installing the parking sensors. Toyota charges 350 pounds for installation of 4 rear sensors (TPA 400)!

Does anyone know of any toyota dealer around london that offers the official toyota TPA 400 or 800 with cheap fitting for less than 350? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks,

Superhori

magoo75

I bought my parking sensors from ParkingSensors.co.uk. I chose the AVRSBF4D model that comprises 4 recessed sensors and a small display unit that indicates which of the 4 sensors is detecting the obstruction and how far away it is.

As JeRRe has said, you do not need to remove the rear bumber. There is a 2 or 3 inch space between the plastic rear bumber and a steel support frame attached to the body that gives you sufficient clearance for drilling the holes for the transducers. I used a 24 mm hole cutter (not supplied).

To get the wires from the sensors into the boot, I removed the spare wheel and drilled a couple of holes in the wheel space and fitted the detector module on the inside edge of the wheel space. The supply leads from the device were run to the nearside rear light cluster, the positive being piggy-back connected to the live reversing light wire, and the negative to a convenient earth. The warning sounder and display unit were mounted on the rear parcel panel.

I found that to get the best possible coverage, you should aim to fit 4 sensors, and that when installed make sure you check their vertical and horizontal orientation.

(the sensors have a wedge shape to assist you).

The total cost-£58.99. You can buy systems that use self adhesive sensors for a bit less, but they are not a long term proposition. Don't worry about doing this mod., it is easy as long as you have some basic skill and a bit of comon sense. On no account get Toyota or a fitting company to do it for you. They will charge the earth! from £150 to £300 (depending on the system chosen).

To my mind, factory fitting of proximity sensors (all round, not just rear) should be almost mandatory on all new cars considering the modest extra cost that would be involved. On some, like the Nissan Primera, they have gone one stage further and fitted coloured rear view camers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links