Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Speedo Problem

dorph

Hi all,

Just gone and got a Rav4 02 Auto - Great car and a great drive, but one problem. Intermittant fault on the speedo, The engine management light will comes on and then the speedo drops out. You can still drive the Rav but every ten minutes or so it has trouble finding it gears.

Took it to a toyota dealer, but guess what - the fault wasn't there. Did a full check, no fault.

Any ideas?

Has anyone seen this problem before.

Cheers

Yes we have seen it before.

Try disconnecting the speedo sensor on the gearbox (down the RH side as you look towards the top/back of the gearbox) and squirt some WD40 on the plug.

autospeedsensor.jpg

Its usually down to a poor connection or moisture.

Oh and welcome to the club!

Hi,

Had the problem again today on the way to work, it seems every cold morning so far I've had a problem.

Can you reset the engine managment light, I've been told disconnecting the Battery might clear the fault. Might not solve the problem but at least it will give me a clear run home.

Any ideas?

Hi,

Had the problem again today on the way to work, it seems every cold morning so far I've had a problem.

Can you reset the engine managment light, I've been told disconnecting the battery might clear the fault. Might not solve the problem but at least it will give me a clear run home.

Any ideas?

You can clear codes by going to the engine room main fuse box;

fusebox-1.jpg

.....and pulling the EFI1 fuse.

fuse.jpg

Cheers for your help. I will try it out later at dinner.

LOL at the speedo gag, I don't look that good.

Merry xmas and a happy new year

One alternative is to drive past one of those nice yellow or grey boxes on poles. If nothing happens then you are within the require speed limit. If they flash then you were going over the required speed limit. So nice of local authorities to provide this checking service. Although you can only use it a couple of times and it's not free. Not sure about cost effectiveness though. :D :D :D :D :D

Happy Christmas

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links