Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bothered By Bright Headlights?

Grumpy Cabbie

Just seen the following article on the BBC news website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13143206 about the increase in complaints about super bright HID or LED headlights.

From my personal experience of being on the road 10 hours a day that it appears that these type of headlights are becoming more popular but also more problematic. I know of many times I've been driving in the countryside at night and had a Range Rover up behind me with its super bright HID's shining right into my face. Sure I can adjust the rear view mirror, but you still get it from the sides.

These lights are brighter than the old halogen lights and if they are badly adjusted or the driver is too close behind you they cause problems. It appears many people out there are noticing this. Anyone on here noticed or had problems with these new super bright HID's?

The article also mentions the brighter DRL's (daylight running lights) which we have in Europe compared to USA, Canada or Japan and these are starting to cause problems.

You might want to check out the following link;

http://www.lightmare.org/default.htm

I usually dip the interior mirror and adjust both door mirrors fully out with tailgaters, they get the reflection of their own lights right back at 'em then. :spiteful:

I usually dip the interior mirror and adjust both door mirrors fully out with tailgaters, they get the reflection of their own lights right back at 'em then. :spiteful:

Good idea in theory, but if they are so thick and blind that they need these awful lights then they will take no notice of what you have done!

IMO they should be banned completely :ffs:

Just back home from a month in the UK. Noticed that these lights seem to be on the cars that have rear fog lights on a night but never in bad visibility. Also apparent that over the years that prats have moved from Volvo to BMW,and on to Audi and Passat. Only exception seems to be that the very junior rep in his BMW 1 series is still a danger to himself and more important to others. Generally speaking the overall standard of driving seems to have improved over the last 15 to 20 years.

What about the cretins who drive around with front fog lights permanently on? They were doing that long before bi-xenons (which are supposed to self-level) came on the scene, and are far more irritating, IMO.

• Like 1

What about the cretins who drive around with front fog lights permanently on? They were doing that long before bi-xenons (which are supposed to self-level) came on the scene, and are far more irritating, IMO.

I believe most might be DRL's and that's what this thread is about. If you're concerned why not sign the petition on the 2nd link.

They seem to be suggesting that the HID dazzle problem is age related which is total BS quite frankly. The DIY HID light kits are often not set up properly and are too high resulting in dreadful dazzle. Even as a pedestrian I find myself dazzled by poxy HID lights. They should be banned in my opinion, certainly as aftermarket DIY lights at the very least. People like Paul Everitt are idiots quite honestly because they simply won't adopt an objective posture when looking at the pros and cons of HID's. Howq can they in all seriousness say that they don't dazzle any more than other lighhts? Total BS.

As for the EU's ill thought out daylight running lights policy, god help motor cyclists!

I believe most might be DRL's and that's what this thread is about. If you're concerned why not sign the petition on the 2nd link.

Don't think they are all drl's grumpy. Drl's are supposed to go out when headlights are pu on. The ones i think seamaster is referring to are those that are on all the time other lights are on.... The "I've paid for them, I'm gonna use them" brigade.

Pity really that plod doesn't care, it is illegal to use fog lights unless visibility is less than 100metres but cameras don't look at the front and don't take your picture unless you are speeding.

Reading some of the comments on here, those that have fitted aftermarket hid's will remove them for their mot's and put them back afterwards, so what hope is there :crybaby:

great to see people using their lights lots of people are not using their lights right using fog lights when no fog using parking lights driving around they should be used for parking only.. some people drive in evening with no lights.. Everyone should be using their dims on allday everyday no matter what.. You should see the yobs driving here in Irl in fog with no lights and others with parking lights on you cant see them until they'er right in front this is what causes accidents.... KEEP those lights on :thumbsup:

At the risk of getting flamed here, i will own up to having HID bulbs in my car.

When i fitted them i ensured that the beam was focused on the road as it should be, and i very rarely get flashed by oncomming drivers.

That said, i was flashed on Sunday night, but i was approaching the peak of a brow as a car was coming up the other side, so my lights were understandably higher than normal, but as i went down the other side, my lights went back to the road and would not have dazzled anyone. The person coming towards me decided to put his lights on full beam and leave them there, so I was the one being dazzled because this person didn't understand that i was higher than they were, so naturally my lights were higher. I didn't bother to flash back, but the car behind me did.

So, why have i fitted HID bulbs to my car?

Well, its not to inconveniance other road users. Its simply because, the projector headlamp units in my car do a fine job of creating a good 'cut off line' where the light ends, but it seems to strangle to actual light on the road.

I have tried various '55w XX% brighter' bulbs that would keep me legal and 'improve' light, but in all honesty they don't work with projection lenses.

The HID lamps in these projectors create a much better area of light, and still keep the cut off line in the correct place, and reduce light scatter. IMO they are safe for oncomming vehicles (not getting flashed by every car proves this) whilst providing me with a well lit road and better lit road signs.

All that aside, i can honestly say that i have been dazzled by a number of HID kits, and it's not pleasant but i have noticed that everyone of these cars that has dazzled me has NOT had a projection lense, and the light scatter is pretty obvious to everyone.

So i think the answer to this problem is simple. If you have a projection lense fitted and correctly aligned, then HID kits should be legal. If you don't have them, then give the offenders a fine and points.

I'm sure there will be a handful of people who disagree, but IMO, Lights, tyres and brakes are the most important aspect of all cars, so you should be ENCOURAGED to improve them, but in a safe manner.

• Like 1

Personally, I hate DRL's, too bright, waste of time, nothing wrong in turning your headlights on when required, that is why there is a switch on the column :rolleyes: we dont need DRL IMHO

Can't understand the need for HID and bulbs that are ultra powerful. I have driven for about 35 years, motorbikes with 6V lamps, cars with the old 410 bulbs, then Halogen 472's and now xenon / projector lights. in all those years I have never felt the need for more light, I am perfectly happy with the light produced and see no need to change them

More Lighting hates

T0ssers who drive around with strip lights under the car like a mobile disco

T0ssers who fit VIVID BLUE side and spot lamps, looks like something only a emergency vehicle should have, oh yes that's right it is ILLEGAL to show blue lights, does anybody do anything about it? NO

T0ssers who drive around with fog lamps on permanantly

T0ssers who annnoy me for any other reason, just coz they are T0ssers

There are not enough Police on the road to apply the law as it stands, I see we are going to give a fixed penalty fro driving badly, who is going to enforce that?

Give those Traffic officers who sit on motorway bridges something to do while waiting for accidents to occur, or VOSA officers who have the right to stop you

Rant over, I'll get me coat :!Removed!:

Kingo :thumbsup:

At the risk of getting flamed here, i will own up to having HID bulbs in my car.

When i fitted them i ensured that the beam was focused on the road as it should be, and i very rarely get flashed by oncomming drivers.

That said, i was flashed on Sunday night, but i was approaching the peak of a brow as a car was coming up the other side, so my lights were understandably higher than normal, but as i went down the other side, my lights went back to the road and would not have dazzled anyone. The person coming towards me decided to put his lights on full beam and leave them there, so I was the one being dazzled because this person didn't understand that i was higher than they were, so naturally my lights were higher. I didn't bother to flash back, but the car behind me did.

Well, its not to inconveniance other road users. Its simply because, the projector headlamp units in my car do a fine job of creating a good 'cut off line' where the light ends, but it seems to strangle to actual light on the road.

I have tried various '55w XX% brighter' bulbs that would keep me legal and 'improve' light, but in all honesty they don't work with projection lenses.

The HID lamps in these projectors create a much better area of light, and still keep the cut off line in the correct place, and reduce light scatter. IMO they are safe for oncomming vehicles (not getting flashed by every car proves this) whilst providing me with a well lit road and better lit road signs.

All that aside, i can honestly say that i have been dazzled by a number of HID kits, and it's not pleasant but i have noticed that everyone of these cars that has dazzled me has NOT had a projection lense, and the light scatter is pretty obvious to everyone.

So i think the answer to this problem is simple. If you have a projection lense fitted and correctly aligned, then HID kits should be legal. If you don't have them, then give the offenders a fine and points.

I'm sure there will be a handful of people who disagree, but IMO, Lights, tyres and brakes are the most important aspect of all cars, so you should be ENCOURAGED to improve them, but in a safe manner.

totally agree with you i have them in my projectors pasted nct and they make driving safer, modern progress :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Personally, I hate DRL's, too bright, waste of time, nothing wrong in turning your headlights on when required, that is why there is a switch on the column :rolleyes: we dont need DRL IMHO

Can't understand the need for HID and bulbs that are ultra powerful. I have driven for about 35 years, motorbikes with 6V lamps, cars with the old 410 bulbs, then Halogen 472's and now xenon / projector lights. in all those years I have never felt the need for more light, I am perfectly happy with the light produced and see no need to change them

Kingo :thumbsup:

I quite agree. The fact is if peoples lights are dimmer, they drive slower and therefore safer. That's better for pedestrians, wildlife and other road users too. Of course being honest, the boot is on the other foot now and I must confess to loving the LED headlights in my Prius, they're grrrrrrrreat!

Well, its not to inconveniance other road users.

So, did you fit a self-levelling system to the headlights as well ?

I believe it is a requirement on vehicles fitted with HID headlights, because of the very reason you got flashed, i.e coming over the brow of a hill and if not fitted, the vehicle should fail the MOT.

If you must have HIDs then buy a vehicle with them fitted by the manufacturer. :huh:

It is actually illegal to fit HID bulbs to conventional headlamps and if HID bulbs are fitted to more modern vehicles (projector type ?) then the headlamp unit must be type approved, self-levelling etc.

See: DOT requirements HID lamps

Don't think they are all drl's grumpy. Drl's are supposed to go out when headlights are pu on. The ones i think seamaster is referring to are those that are on all the time other lights are on.... The "I've paid for them, I'm gonna use them" brigade.

Pity really that plod doesn't care, it is illegal to use fog lights unless visibility is less than 100metres but cameras don't look at the front and don't take your picture unless you are speeding.

Reading some of the comments on here, those that have fitted aftermarket hid's will remove them for their mot's and put them back afterwards, so what hope is there :crybaby:

See:DOT requirements DRLs

T0ssers who annnoy me for any other reason, just coz they are T0ssers

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Is it me or is it usually gen 7 Celica drivers who drive around with their front fogs on? My other 'light' hate is pensioners, who clearly cannot see at night driving around with high beam on as dipped beam is inadequate for them. Oh, and muppets in my town driving around in the dark w/o lights as the high street is well lit. And people with blown bulbs who never change them until they are picked up at the next service...and people who are too gormless to realise fog ended 30 miles ago and the rear light is still on.

. And people with blown bulbs who never change them until they are picked up at the next service...

Those T0ssers never have a service and only get them done when the MOT comes around, I dread the day they move MOT's to two year intervals, you will have even more cars on the road in an unroadworthy condition

Now look what you've done, you started me off again.......:angry:

Well, its not to inconveniance other road users.

So, did you fit a self-levelling system to the headlights as well ?

I believe it is a requirement on vehicles fitted with HID headlights, because of the very reason you got flashed, i.e coming over the brow of a hill and if not fitted, the vehicle should fail the MOT.

If you must have HIDs then buy a vehicle with them fitted by the manufacturer. :huh:

It is actually illegal to fit HID bulbs to conventional headlamps and if HID bulbs are fitted to more modern vehicles (projector type ?) then the headlamp unit must be type approved, self-levelling etc.

See: DOT requirements HID lamps

NO, i haven't and for what it's worth, i don't actually see them doing anything.

I've been on the other side of the brow when a car with factory fit xenons has done the same to me, so the self levelling kit does sweet FA.

Also, i get dazzled mostly from 4X4's with them fitted as they are always set too high, but surely the self levelling kit would rectify this...?

NOPE, it doesn't.

For the most part, my lights don't dazzle any other road user any more than a set of halogen bulbs, and under the same circumstances a halogen bulb would dazzle other road users on the same brow or speed hump.

Sorry, like i have said, i don't expect everyone to agree, but when i see a system in place that works from factory i will reconsider my opinion. Until that day, the HID kit stays where it is.

• Like 1

For the most part, my lights don't dazzle any other road user any more than a set of halogen bulbs, and under the same circumstances a halogen bulb would dazzle other road users on the same brow or speed hump.

Sorry, like i have said, i don't expect everyone to agree, but when i see a system in place that works from factory i will reconsider my opinion. Until that day, the HID kit stays where it is.

So it's sod everybody else and as said above, you paid for 'em so you're going to use 'em, legal or not.

How do you know that your lights don't dazzle anyone else when you're sat behind them ?

and how do you know that the ones that have dazzled you are factory fit ?

So it's sod everybody else and as said above, you paid for 'em so you're going to use 'em, legal or not.

How do you know that your lights don't dazzle anyone else when you're sat behind them ?

and how do you know that the ones that have dazzled you are factory fit ?

I can answer both of those easily.

I have been in an oncoming car when my own car has approached, as my Girlfriend was driving it to pick me up.

Also i have been followed by my friend in his brand spanking Range Rover sport with factory fit xenons, and they are very bright in your mirror. I put this down to the height of the car, but surely a self levelling kit should compensate for this?

Like i have said (and you missed), my lights don't dazzle anymore than a set of halogen bulbs do, and if i'm ever pulled over and asked to remove them, then i will.

Until that day, i'll be happy to keep them in and spot people and wildlife from further away, and be less of a nuisance than the folk who have legal halogens fitted, but point them at the sky because they don't have them aligned for the comfort of other road users.

• Like 1

Worth remembering is the decline of light sensitivity of your eyes with age. A driver of 60 will see about a third of the light seen by a driver of 20. What you needed before will not be what you need in the future.

http://www.visualexpert.com/Resources/olderdrivers.html

That's a good point but it raises the question...

Should a driver of older age have better lights fitted to make up for the degradation of vision, or is the brighter lights causing them more problems?

• Like 1

Should a driver of older age have better lights fitted to make up for the degradation of vision, or is the brighter lights causing them more problems?

:lol: probably a bit of both if truth be known!

• Like 1

Hi Dave,i find at my age that car lights seem to dazzle me more than when i was younger.

i dont think its because the lights are brighter,but the eyes are more sensitive.though ive noticed some of the DRL people are using, seem way too bright.luckly i do very litle night driving now.on winding country roads is where i have the most concern with night driving now.

i dont have the confidence at night i use to have.all down to senile decay i suppose.

• Like 1

So it may be fair to say that the problem isn't JUST about the brightness of headlights, but the ability for SOME people to cope with the light when faced with it head on?

I guess there is no real cure for this problem as its inevitable, and in order to drive at night, we need lights!

Of course, we could ban people of a certain age from driving when it gets dark... :lol:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links