Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Condensation

Vitz_man

Recently i've been noticing that theres an awful lot of condensation building up on the inside of the car. Few weeks back I was in a hurry and had to actually dry the entire inside of the windscreen and side windows using a towel. :S

Seems to be an on/off thing...but as you can imagine its highly inconvenient when you're rushed and can't wait for the heater to warm up then de-mist the car. Sunroof and all windows i've made sure are VERY shut. :P

Anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance. :)

Recently i've been noticing that theres an awful lot of condensation building up on the inside of the car. Few weeks back I was in a hurry and had to actually dry the entire inside of the windscreen and side windows using a towel. :S

Seems to be an on/off thing...but as you can imagine its highly inconvenient when you're rushed and can't wait for the heater to warm up then de-mist the car. Sunroof and all windows i've made sure are VERY shut. :P

Anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance. :)

Have you got your heater air intake set to "recirculate" instead of bringing in "fresh" air from outside?

Also opening the window slightly whilst moving will help to take the condensation away!

Your cabin air intake filter may be blocked and need changing..............(located behind the glovebox)

Apart from the above you may have wet carpets due to a leak. Feel them and see.

if you have , check the sealing circles in the floor - both sides - rear of front carpet - have not become loose.

Failing that, check for leaves under the bonnet where the screen water flows out...

If you have to use a towel to dry the inside of your windows then you have a leak/puddle from somewhere. Check all footwells and boot where the spare tyre is.

I just put the air-con on for a bit if mine steams up. That allways sorts it. ;)

Unfortunately I don't have A/C on mine, so its not really an option.

I do have a small amount of water where the spare wheel is. Is this likely to be causing the problem?

Im planning on cleaning the car from top to bottom tomorow anyways so I shall keep you all updated.

Thanks for the replys. :)

If there's any water in the boot or anywhere else, you will get condensation.

Check the rubber grommets in the boot, make sure they are sealed ok. If not you can put some clear silicon sealant around them (like the stuff you use to seal around bath's showers ect)

Keep us posted where it's leaking so i can check mine! ;)

Hmmm.

We get this issue in my daughter's car which is parked outside all the time and not in my wife's which is garaged....

Because my wife's is on a driveway, we open the windows when the sun is out and let it "vent through" to blow out any dampness, whereas my daughter's car on a city roadway never gets left anywhere with the windows open to let any dampness out.

I wonder if its as simply as all the wet weather we had in the autumn, coupled with all the recent snow causing the floor mats to get really wet. Certainly, when I took her mats out into the house to dry, the driver's mat was very wet.

You will see that garage used car lots often have all the rear hatches open on a sunny day - for just the same reason I suspect....

I fitted a pollen to my daughter's Yaris to try and stop the dampness coming into the car when its stood in the rain and rain water is running through the outside heater vent - and she seems to think that's made a some difference.... (The rain water is designed to drain back out of the heater inlet, but it can't help having running water inside a heater vent open to the inside of the car...)

No obvious leaks anywhere around any of our cars, but any water (or snow) from shoes, umbrellas, wet coats, etc., will all soak into the boot mat, seats and carpets and will be released as steam when the car next warms up inside in the sun....

On my Mk1, the rubber grommet at the top of the hatch was loose where the wires ran through from the body into the hatchback door and rain ran in through that and down into the boot floor around the spare wheel.

I sealed it using silicone sealant and duct tape. Not very pretty, but it lasted for a couple of years until I sold the car on....

Okay, so i've dried out the small lake that was in the hold where the spare wheel is kept in an attempt to stop the issue. The rubber seals appear to be undamaged so im going to leave the sealant for now, but if it persists then I think this may be the best course of action.

Photo attached is the water build up. Quite alot without my noticing no? :S

post-77168-1266158584_thumb.jpg

Another place to check for water ingress is at the rear light clusters, check the seals (rubbery foam gasket) for deformation.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links