Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sr180 - New Pistons - Block

davidsr180

i told Anchorman about this well before the first person posted about this...and has it been sorted yet??ive seen no change

You did indeed but I respected your wish to keep it confidential :thumbsup:

Secrets? :unsure:

Cover ups? :unsure:

Toyota KGB? :help:

It is a fault with EVERY 2.2 engine in the RAV and Avensis 2006 to 2009 ..

And the 2.2d Verso

Have a 2007 2.2D4-D Rav4. 28,000 miles with main dealer FSH. Had multiple warning lights today, with no power etc - AA diagnosed blocked and stuck EGR valve (diagnostic worked fine 1st time) and cleaned at roadside. Dealer checked this afternoon and car needs total engine rebuild, covered by Toyota. Have never had this in 25 years of driving everything from bangers to Mercs. Wish I'd checked this site prior to buying...

i told Anchorman about this well before the first person posted about this...and has it been sorted yet??ive seen no change

theirs no secrets if you have the fault you go to toyota and they fix it theirs no cover up and the gaskets are modded ones....

And the 2.2d Verso

Have a 2007 2.2D4-D Rav4. 28,000 miles with main dealer FSH. Had multiple warning lights today, with no power etc - AA diagnosed blocked and stuck EGR valve (diagnostic worked fine 1st time) and cleaned at roadside. Dealer checked this afternoon and car needs total engine rebuild, covered by Toyota. Have never had this in 25 years of driving everything from bangers to Mercs. Wish I'd checked this site prior to buying...

2nd new engine for me mate!!!... So was this caused by a blocked EGR valve that did the damage? Or the head gasket gone?

There's some scary stuff in this thread!

Is it safe to assume that by now Toyota have got the 2.2 sorted or will a 2011 model start needing work before it's out of warranty?

My last motah (a VW) burnt a bit of oil until some time between its 40 and 50,000 mile service, after that it burned nothing until I got rid at 110K, in fact nothing went worng in the 95K miles I owned it

From the oil.pdf it looks like the 5-30 is too light, where I live a hot summers day can be waaaaaay over the 38C quoted so what's the solution - 10-40 fully synth? Any tips appreciated..

Lee

Panic stations again. Will you lot drop this obsession with 5W/30 oil.

That chart just means that from 8 deg C and lower you are strongly advised to use 5W/30 but if you look at the next one up with a upper viscosity of 30 it is OK for temps above 38C. Where are you going, the Sun?!!!

The engines from 2009 are not affected by these problems. They are completely different in many respects.

I don't think there is any problem with a 5w-30 oil. The only concerens that I have with some oils (And Mobil 1 ESP is included in this) is the low TBN(Total Base Number) that they have. Most of the diesel engine oils I've used in the past have a typical TBN of 10 and over. Millers XFD use to have something like a 12 and now to get that kind of number you have to look for oils such as a full Ester in the 5w-30 range. But oils like Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel (0w-40) have a much higher number than Mobil 1 ESP.

Btw... Mobil 1 TD and the petol engine Mobil 1 is the same oil but in a different container!

theirs no secrets if you have the fault you go to toyota and they fix it theirs no cover up and the gaskets are modded ones....

Im not to sure I understand your english, must be as bad as mine? ;)

You say "I told Anchorman about this well before the first person posted about this...and has it been sorted yet??ive seen no change"

This to thick old me implies that you dont know if this problem has been sorted yet, because you have seen no change in parts (the head gasket). I presume you work for Toyota and repair these vehicles.

Then in your next post you say there is a modified head Gasket? So there is a change??

WTF????????

Please explain your self.................if you can. ;)

And the 2.2d Verso

2nd new engine for me mate!!!... So was this caused by a blocked EGR valve that did the damage? Or the head gasket gone?

To be honest I was so dumbstruck at the words 'total engine rebuild' that I'd kind of stopped listening! Seems more likely to be head gasket, but I'm no mechanic..

And the 2.2d Verso

To be honest I was so dumbstruck at the words 'total engine rebuild' that I'd kind of stopped listening! Seems more likely to be head gasket, but I'm no mechanic..

Yer I can understand how you feel an all... Its not great when you'v been told that your engine has had it after 28,000 miles. My second one went after 8000 miles!!! I'm just hoping that this one has been done correctly. Saying that, mine is booked back in for tomorrow because it looks like its lost some pink coolant! Oh happy days :censor:

Just glad that the warranty is there eh :!Removed!:

And the 2.2d Verso

Yer I can understand how you feel an all... Its not great when you'v been told that your engine has had it after 28,000 miles. My second one went after 8000 miles!!! I'm just hoping that this one has been done correctly. Saying that, mine is booked back in for tomorrow because it looks like its lost some pink coolant! Oh happy days :censor:

Putting in new pistons is a complicated job in my book, and it has to be done properly, by a qualified mechanic, not the donkeys you find in some dealerships....A strip down of this magnatude needs to be done correctly, nothing has to be forgoten.

Are the techs in Toyota up to the job??? They are certainly not in other dealerships belive me.... Its amazing just how rubbish they actually are....

I had try wear problems on a golf once, It took 2 weeks (for which they gave me a hire car) and 5 dealerships to find the problem........

left rear had to much toe in.... There 10k wheel alignment machines could not spot this why?.........Because no one knew how to use it properly.........and this is rife in dealership......pure and utter incompetance...........The lies I was told in this 2 weeks was unbelivable.

Also just been looking on the Auris forum, these engines also suffer from failed injectors and water pump leaks with are common.....

They might as well scrap these engines.........made in china were they?

• Like 1

And the 2.2d Verso

Yep - the main dealers defo know there is a problem - as soon as the girl on service reception saw EGR fault on the AA sheet, she knew there was gonna be grief. Had lost some coolant too, so hoping that the rebuild sorts it all - need to sort what warranty is given after, as I don't fancy a bill in 8000 miles

You say "I told Anchorman about this well before the first person posted about this...and has it been sorted yet??ive seen no change"

This to thick old me implies that you dont know if this problem has been sorted yet, because you have seen no change in parts (the head gasket). I presume you work for Toyota and repair these vehicles.

Then in your next post you say there is a modified head Gasket? So there is a change??

WTF????????

read things before you start typing you just look silly/stupid i never once said i saw no change in parts!!......i have seen no change to the amount coming in for a rebuild regardles of age/milage(not had any 10 plates in though) but the ones we rebuild dont come back due to being fitted with the modified gaskets...

to sum up.........once you have the new gasket and engine rebuild done you should see no more problems but i have seen no change in the amount coming in for rebuilds..

and yes i work for toyota i have rebuilt more of these engines 2.2 and 2.0 than i care to remember

• Like 2

And the 2.2d Verso

Putting in new pistons is a complicated job in my book, and it has to be done properly, by a qualified mechanic, not the donkeys you find in some dealerships....A strip down of this magnatude needs to be done correctly, nothing has to be forgoten.

Are the techs in Toyota up to the job??? They are certainly not in other dealerships belive me.... Its amazing just how rubbish they actually are....

I had try wear problems on a golf once, It took 2 weeks (for which they gave me a hire car) and 5 dealerships to find the problem........

left rear had to much toe in.... There 10k wheel alignment machines could not spot this why?.........Because no one knew how to use it properly.........and this is rife in dealership......pure and utter incompetance...........The lies I was told in this 2 weeks was unbelivable.

Also just been looking on the Auris forum, these engines also suffer from failed injectors and water pump leaks with are common.....

Made in Poland! But might just have been made in China :blink: I only bought the car because it was what I needed for the family and that it had a new engine fitted in it some 6000 miles befor I purchased it. So I thought what could go wrong?!... I think you could well be right about some dealerships an all. You would have thought that if they had a 10k piece of kit that someone would know how to use it!!!

I believe that Toyota Cardiff have done a good job on this second "New engine" it just that the coolant in mine has dropped a little (About 4mm) that mine is going back in tomorrow to let the tech who built it have a look see. But I'll see what they have to say tomorrow morning...

And the 2.2d Verso

Well, after Toyota denied all the problems with quality over last couple of years, I don't hold out much hope. I know this is the place where you find all the problems, but Google 'RAV4 EGR' and there are pages devoted to it. I'll definitely be having a long talk about an extended warranty on the engine, which I won't be paying for...

And the 2.2d Verso

Yep - the main dealers defo know there is a problem - as soon as the girl on service reception saw EGR fault on the AA sheet, she knew there was gonna be grief. Had lost some coolant too, so hoping that the rebuild sorts it all - need to sort what warranty is given after, as I don't fancy a bill in 8000 miles

The extended warranty for the head gasket issue is 112k or 7 years old if I'm corrrect. The best guy to confirm this is Ormi on here. Your car will prob be with them for about a week as mine was. But hopefully then you'll have no more probs with the motor :thumbsup:

And the 2.2d Verso

The warranty for the head gasket is 112k or 7 years old if I'm corrrect. The best guy to confirm this is Ormi on here. Your car will prob be wiyh them for about a week as mine was. But hopefully then you'll have no more probs with the motor :thumbsup:

Cheers - they said 10 days, just read Ormi's post about modded gaskets, and this sorting the problem. 28,000 miles - still can't get head round it

the reason it takes so long is you have to strip to find out Shell numbers etc but ten days is a bit long...hand it in on the monday VOR the parts needed monday night the parts will arrive on tues morning then it should be done and running for thurs its approx a 32 hour rebuild

• Like 2

WTF????????

read things before you start typing you just look silly/stupid i never once said i saw no change in parts!!......i have seen no change to the amount coming in for a rebuild regardles of age/milage(not had any 10 plates in though) but the ones we rebuild dont come back due to being fitted with the modified gaskets...

to sum up.........once you have the new gasket and engine rebuild done you should see no more problems but i have seen no change in the amount coming in for rebuilds..

and yes i work for toyota i have rebuilt more of these engines 2.2 and 2.0 than i care to remember

I always look silly and stupid, thats just me :afro:

I read you post numerous times but could not understand it, so i asked you to explain and you did I think :thumbsup: what did you mean by " Has it been sorted yet"?

How do you explain the people that have had 2 new engines/rebuilds? and I belive ones going back a 3rd time for coolant problems? Poor workmanship maybe? Donkey :horse: engineer?

I`m not having a go at you personaly just dealerships in general, Its good to hear from the guys that actually work on these vehicles. :kisss:

What has happened to liam the other Toyota techi? He promised pictures etc of what goes wrong. Has Toyota put a gagging order on him? :bangin:

i dont know whats happened to the fix on the other engine i know it went back to the dealers and they have said its a airlock??

i have already posted pics on what happens with the gasket and the damage it causes to the head and block mate on a rebuild i done..people recon after 2009 theyre ok......ive done a few rebuilds on the 2.2 after 09..

i've had a few pm's on why the block and head need to be changed when the gasket fails on the 2.2 diesel.....i have even managed to help a member get an engine replaced even though the garage told him their was no such fault......

the reason the head and block need changed is because the gasket shuffles on the head an block wearing groves rendering them scrap....skimmimg the block and head isnt allowed....anyway heres a few pics of a rebuild i've just done so people can understand the damage thats done...

the head

img3085fo.jpg

close up

img3086ho.jpg

and the block

img3087j.jpg

hopes this sheds some light....

• Like 2

HI all,its a pity that the short engine/block or what ever you like to call it,is not how they used to be.

take vauxhalls years ago, short engines were all brand new.the only thing you fitted from the original engine to the new block was sump and the cylinder head, though in some models the oil pump was reused.as ive said everything was brand new.i should imagine these days the cost to toyota would make it prohibitive to do this.

the toyota technicans/mechanics should be trained and skilled enough to rebuild an engine to an acceptable standard.

but you will always have individual who have the attetude 'near enough is good 'in every workshop.

i've had a few pm's on why the block and head need to be changed when the gasket fails on the 2.2 diesel.....i have even managed to help a member get an engine replaced even though the garage told him their was no such fault......

the reason the head and block need changed is because the gasket shuffles on the head an block wearing groves rendering them scrap....skimmimg the block and head isnt allowed....anyway heres a few pics of a rebuild i've just done so people can understand the damage thats done...

Great Thanks to you mate, running fine now, (fingers crossed) :thumbsup:

• Like 1

It amazes me how many people on this forum are complaining about the level of service they get regarding this problem.

YES, a head gasket failure is a massive inconveniance, and nobody wants this to happen to them, but i have yet to read a single article on any other car forum where the manufacturer have said that they would sort an issue of this size past the 3 year/60,000 mile point.

To everyone who thinks of leaving Toyota and going elsewhere, i wish you good luck, because if the same problem happens on another marque, there is a good chance that you will have the same inconveniance, but also be greeted wit a big bill.

IMO, Toyota deserve a lot of credit for extending the warranty by almost double to cover an expensive job.

It certainly hasn't put me off owning one 'just incase' i have this problem.

• Like 1

Well I've just got back from Toyota World Cardiff and the verdict on the engine (Coolant loss) is that everything is okay I'm pleased to say after the re-build :toast: I had topped up the level using Toyota's pink ready mix coolant to the correct level when I noticed it drop (Only about 3-4mm) but you kinda get a little paranoid after 2 new engines!...

I have to mirror whats been said on how well Toyota UK have taken the problem with the head gasket failure and extended the warranty to cover the issue. I've got the itemised invoice (Including part numbers) for the warranty work that has been carried out, which totals £6565.83 excluding VAT. I'm really pleased that I didn't have to find that kind of money for the repair!

Well done Toyota again for putting your customers 1st :yahoo:

• Like 1

Well done Toyota again for putting your customers 1st :yahoo:

Hear Hear ! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

It amazes me how many people on this forum are complaining about the level of service they get regarding this problem.

YES, a head gasket failure is a massive inconveniance, and nobody wants this to happen to them, but i have yet to read a single article on any other car forum where the manufacturer have said that they would sort an issue of this size past the 3 year/60,000 mile point.

To everyone who thinks of leaving Toyota and going elsewhere, i wish you good luck, because if the same problem happens on another marque, there is a good chance that you will have the same inconvenience, but also be greeted wit a big bill.

IMO, Toyota deserve a lot of credit for extending the warranty by almost double to cover an expensive job.

You're perfectly right, I can't put off Toyota now because I had a fault and it was repaired at their own expense even tough with an elapsed warranty. I'm very satisfied with their job and it's done very professional. Thanks again to our friend OMRI whom he was of great help for me, for the only problem I had is for my dealer to except it was a factory fault but when I forced them to contact UK for proofs I already had, they were convinced and job done. ;)

BTW I was given an extra 2year waranty. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

To everyone who thinks of leaving Toyota and going elsewhere, i wish you good luck, because if the same problem happens on another marque, there is a good chance that you will have the same inconvenience, but also be greeted wit a big bill.

You're perfectly right, I can't put off Toyota now because I had a fault and it was repaired at their own expense even tough with an elapsed warranty. I'm very satisfied with their job and it's done very professional. Thanks again to our friend OMRI whom he was of great help for me, for the only problem I had is for my dealer to except it was a factory fault but when I forced them to contact UK for proofs I already had, they were convinced and job done. ;)

BTW I was given an extra 2year waranty. :thumbsup:

I'm very please that Toyota repaired the car for you. What was the fault you had? And how did you manage to get a 2 year extra warranty out of Mr T? :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links