Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Diff Oil Leak

mic

Hi forum members!

I was checking the underneath of my RAV (as you do) and noticed what appears to be a slight oil leak coming from where the frontpost-26746-0-63775500-1314810989_thumb.j differential meets the prop shaft. The leak seems fairly minor at this stage but am worried that this might get worse. I know this has only started in the last 4 months as previous to this it was fine and I had the front diff oil replaced at the dealers. Not sure whether dealer has damaged something or just bad coincidence.

I am guessing there is some form of sealed bearing between the prop shaft and differential. Is this difficult to cure and what if I just left it?

Also, what exactly is that rectangular block of metal under the diff?

I have attached a couple of photos.

All help appreciated.

Cheers

post-26746-0-84903100-1314810894_thumb.j

Not even a sealed bearing but a plain and simple oil seal.

Mark up the rear flange and centre bearing and then remove the prop shaft. Tap off that extension dust tube from the back of the transfer box. Note the location of the seal (how far in the tail it is). Prize out the seal. Lightly oil the new seal (Kingo will post one to you) then use a flat piece of wood to tap it in flush. Find a large socket or suitable mandrel to tap the seal all the way home just past flush. Tap the dust cover back on and refit the prop shaft to the witness marks.

Make sure everything is clean and always lightly oil the surfaces including the seal lip.

You may lose some transfer box oil if the car is leaning back on ramps - if in doubt drain it first. Don't forget to refill it after!!!

The block is a noise and vibration damper.

Thanks for your prompt reply Anchorman. http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

Feel much happier that its not a major issue.

Will have another crawl underneath to see if I can can do this lying on my back under the ramps http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/eek.gif otherwise it will be a trip to the dealers.

cheers

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/yes.gif

I was always taught not to use wood for seals and bearing seating as this can leave debris in the bearing. Use an appropriatley sized socket Back end and tap gently or use a metal bar, usesually available from the scrapyard.

Its a good way of getting the seal in without twisting it. There is no doubt that steel tube or a proper machined mandrel is best though :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links