Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Using Oil

tommyc17

I have a 2010 Prius and done 99,000 miles.

Recent triangle lamp comming on in the dash, took it for service about 3 weeks and the light stopped

A few week s later the same light flashed on mainly when I braked or turned right? The light came on more frequently and my son said a warning came in the dash as well 'Low oil pressure'

I checked the oil level. Not a drop in the engine, had to add 4 ltr.

Took it in to get the brakes checked about a week later and the oil level had dropped to half way down the dipstick.

Toyota service topped it up and asked me to check after 900 miles, When I did the level had dropped to about half way.

Toyota service advised bringing the car in imediatlly to check over.

Now the phone call today from Toyota is what I don't believe:

They say the car needed 1.3 ltrs of oil to top it up, but wait for it, this is within specification. The engine may use this amount in 900 miles.

Is this a green car?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

There is NO WAY that is within specification. Get a second opinion.

Have you owned the car from new? Has it just started using oil?

Is it under the 5 year warranty?

Hi I had a problem with an oil leek after a service. it turned out that the oil filter had been fitted incorrectly causing a hair line crack which leaked oil when put under pressure. Toyota dealer was marvellous in the way their corrected the problem.

Get them to check it.

regards

Mick

Our family has owned nine toyota cars over the years. Never had any of them use oil. Who did the last oil change did they use the correct oil? (OW20)

If Toyota has regularly serviced your car I find it hard to believe that it should be using the amount of oil you have stated.

Search the web and you'll find a small number of high mileage, 100K miles, Prius that burn a US Quart of oil every 1000 miles. It seems that hard driving is the primary cause suggested/blamed for the engine being knackered at 100K miles.

To answer all posts.

Yes I have owned since new and it has been serviced by Toyota every 10k.

No oil leaks at all, had it checked.

I think the cause is the M40 morning and night at 70+.

Don't think the Prius was built for this, more for popping to the local Tesco's.

Mind you my wife got a speeding ticket in the Prius, much to the amusment of the kids!

100K shouldn't be any problem at all to a properly maintained 1.8ltr motor, as yours obviously has been. Suggest you get a second opinion from a different Toyota dealer.

Failing any positive news then contact Toyota Customer Services direct, assuming your Service History booklet is fully stamped up.

I think the cause is the M40 morning and night at 70+.

Don't think the Prius was built for this, more for popping to the local Tesco's.

Mind you my wife got a speeding ticket in the Prius, much to the amusment of the kids!

The Prius has no problems doing 70+ up the M40.

100K in a gen3 prius already is going some but there those in the USA which have reached this and they don't have oil problems. Have a look over on Prius Chat and maybe post your question there for more feedback.

http://priuschat.com/categories/gen-iii-2010-toyota-prius-forums.93/

Hmmmm.....

A new member posts a report about oil consumption that is far higher than any other member has experienced.

Then he gets a totally ridiculous response from Toyota.

Then he suggests the problem could be that he is travelling at a speed that many members exceed without any problems.

And that avatar looks vaguely familiar.

Could it be that tommyc17 is having a little joke?

Yes full of fun!!!

Not a problem to me the car is a company lease, going back in 2 weeks.

Pity the person who buys it from some garage forecourt!

Just thought it would be of interest.

• 3 years later...

My wife's car (a 2010 Prius) has about 103,000 miles.   Based on these postings, she has experienced a similar issue.  Recently driving in town and turned corner.  Engine Oil pressure indicator light illuminated.   Never had a problem with engine before and (I admit!) never checked the oil level in vehicle. Changed oil reguarly based on engine oil monitor indicator in dashboard. Last oil change at 99,000 miles.  Checked the oil level and there was no reading on the oil dipstick...geesh!  Per owners manual, I added 0W-20 oil...2 1/2 quarts.   The was no oil drops in our garage so no signs of leaks.  It sounds like this is a common problem with Prius models.   I'll be checking oil weekly, if not more frequently from now on to determine amount of oil being consumed.  

"Engine oil monitor indicator" on the Prius ?

You should change the oil every 10,000 miles or 12 months.

every post I've seen on here or priuschat regarding high oil consumption is people with 2010s...

I'm guessing once its run low it only makes consumption worse

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links