Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso 6 Speed Manual Gear Selection Or Lack Of!

steamboy

Hi

Can anyone help?! I bought a 2010 verso d4d manual 42k on the clock, now at 50k and during the winter in was difficult to get into reverse when cold & would occasionally crunch in 3rd on normal driving. I booked it in @ the local dealer as it was sold with 12 months Toyota exteneded warranty, they said it was a known problem with the clutch & would be a warranty job to fit a modified clutch. The engineer inspected the stripped clutch & said it hadn't failed so the claim went to appeal. In the meantime I spoke to customer relations @ Toyota & within an hour the repair was authorised. When the car came back reverse seemed fine BUT 1st and 2nd were horrible & even stiff across the gate, but only first thing when cold. I took it back they said there was nothing wrong with it but adjusted & lubed the linkage. also worth noting the clutch biting point was about an inch off the floor!. After a week the clutch seemed to bed in and the biting point got better but 1& 2 were horrible & sometime crunchy in 2nd. I took it back again they then said we have changed synchros & hubs on 1, 2 & 3! & its all fixed. I drove the car the first morning after return of the car to find.....NO DIFFERENT! When I rang I said it crunches in 2nd & is stiff 1 -2 & 3rd to 2nd, they said it was ok when they drove it & said I should take it in & drive it with them!. So I dropped the car off 3 days later on a Friday night & went back in Saturday first thing so the car was stone cold when we went out, admittedly the 2nd crunching was less frequent by Saturday am but it was still doing it & still very hard to get up into 2nd from first & from 3rd back into 2nd, also 1st can not be selected until the car is COMPLETELY STILL. We both got in the car & I showed him that when you start it it goes up & down all the gears fine but when we pulled away 2nd was very difficult & stiff & so was first, after a few miles the car gets better but if you jump in it & go into town using the low gears it is nearly undriveable!!!, causing much distress to the wife, the garage said they are a bit like that in 1st and 2nd & we should put some miles one it to see if it gets better!

I think its strange that the original problem was in Reverse but has now gone to 1st/2nd! could it be linkage or dodgy cables? which they may have disturbed doing the clutch? I just think they are fobbing me off! they say there's nothing wrong with it then they throw more bits at it!, i am getting bored of taking it back! i am a Toyota man through & through and cant believe it is normal, i am not convinced they know what they are doing with it! but they should have access to Toyota technical??

Any help much appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

Although it's does not really make much sense. My 07 verso gets clunky going down to 1st and occasionly struggles for reverse.

but it happened twice during my ownership and on both occasions its been nearly up on service interval & my toyota dealer has renewed the gearbox oil. it's all good then for a while.

It's done it twice in four services.

I think it could be oil too, they have changed the clutch, the 1st 2nd & 3rd synchros & now the linkage cables!!!!!!!, but the car drives perfectly when hot!. I think it probably needs a different grade of oil or a new box!!!!!. The oil might not be getting to the synchros quick enough (too thick) or staying in the synchros overnight!

I am currently waiting for what toyota are going to do next! am getting really fed up with the thing! the warranty runs out in july so if it aint fixed soon i will be demanding a new box or extended warranty FOC!!!

This subject has been covered before & is a fairly well-known issue. Most of these bigger diesel-engined Toyotas have a crunch potential (especially when cold). I had the gearbox oil changed on mine at the previous service & it did improve a little. But I still have to change to second very slowly when it's cold. Not everyone has the issue & it may even depend on the way the first owner drove it ...... I know mine was used in the central belt & as such probably did a lot of commuter crawling - meaning a lot of low gear stop/start use. Thankfully I don't have that problem (traffic jams) so once the gearbox is warm it's fine.

They have put new oil in when the done the gearbox work which made no difference.

This is what worries me!, i cant believe Toyota has come to this! they aint the cars they used to be! a lot of known/accepted problems i work with landrovers and their gearboxes are better than my toyota one!!!, maybe time for a change of brand,! My family have had Toyota's since the 70's but the newer stuff is just litter!.

I have heard that before, i will see what Toyota Technical comes up with next as its under warranty at the moment, its weird their gearboxes were perfect on the old Toyota's and they have got progressively worse on the newer models i have bought!. maybe toyotas lack of testing, rushing new models out & using the "customer product development" method like land rover do!!! let the customers find the flaws!

Also i see the new verso has steering wheel issues (falling off) is this also part of the problem that a lot of toyota's are not built in japan any more? and integrating bmw engines?

The Verso is build in Turkey

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links