Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2004 Avensis 1Cd-Ftv D4D Engine Noise

avensisd4d786

What do you think, its like a rumbling sound.only when started in morning/cold.

Dmf.....? As mine got worse it sounded like I had a hole in the exhaust. ....then finally a scrapping metal noise...i still had drive etc....but no confidence in the car....so out it came.....

it was worse when cold and got better when things warmed up.

doubt its flywheel noise does not go away when clutch is depressed. thanks

anyone else?

Remove the fan belts, if noise has gone check all pulley's such as A/C pump, alternator, idlers.

If its still there , then could be be timing belt tensioner, or water pump bearing failure, or if the belt hasn't been changed for a while it may have become slack/stretched causing a slapping/rattle noise.

If the noise is more central to the engine /gearbox have your clutch/flywheel checked as the flywheel can become noisy.

Did you fit a new flywheel when you did the clutch?

These engines do seem very noisy even when warmed up?

Yes I fitted new flywheel when clutch was fitted- this noise has was there before too.

I have had new alternator and power steering belt fitted, both genuine. there are two belts on this engine.

AC has already been by passed due to rattling, 100% not ac.

Timing belt was changed around 20k ago.

if it was all the above why would the noise go away after a few minutes.

this noise is only heard when engine is cold, after a few minutes the noise disappears. maybe when the oil reaches the top.

its like a very small cough, I cannot describe hence making a video. by the time I take it to a garage the noise has gone.

Its done 6k from last service so I will service on my next day off along with fuel filter.

I can't really hear anything untoward on the vids to be honest.....mine sounds like a bag of old nails when cold.....There not the quietest diesels around.

update on noise - its coming from passenger side of engine- I'm pretty sure its the airbox rattling, I'm going to remove the airbox and see if its goes away and maybe cushion it,

I dont know whether you know but there are detailed posts about the airbox rattle. IF it is the airbox rattle then there is a foam insulation which hardens or wears over time. If you search for it you will find it in this forum. Sometimes this drone or vibrating sound is caused by the pipe which goes into the airbox, where the insulation on the pipe has hardened or worn off.

I cant listen to youtube videos at work so dont know what the sound is like but only posting this in case it is the airbox.

Good luck.

Regards,

Waqar

• Like 2

Thank you Waqar, I have read about the airbox rattle, hopefully its just the airbox. will update over the weekend.

• Like 1

I didnt know about this :disgust: ...I will check mine to just incase......is this just on the Avensis? does the Rav4 have the same air box and mountings?

I've had an air filter box rattle that was easy to resolve i also had a noise caused by the top engine cover a cpl of cable ties resolved that

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links