Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Updating Sat Nav (2015 Aygo)

spospe

Ha. I got the exact same email this morning.

Does anyone else have a issue with the journey time being wrong?

£400 for that Sat Nav, think you have all been had!!!!!! The screen is already there so costs should be a lot lower.

The price for the x-nav includes update to x-touch firmware, SD maps, external antenna, wiring and a gps module…. The fact the screen is “already there” is irrelevant.

I don’t particularly think I've been “had”. Manufacturers’ fitted Sat Nav upgrade will ALWAYS be more expensive than getting something in the sale at Halfords.

At the end of the day if it isn't what we expected, how many of us can honestly say we tried the Sat Nav on our test drive or asked for a demo? I watched a video on You Tube and it seemed to work fine before ticking the options box on the order form. Maybe that was a foolish assumption.

If it turns out it is fundamentally flawed and isn’t fit for purpose that’s something different and I don’t quite know what my next move would be. But I haven’t used it enough yet to establish that.

I know they can be a bit more but the ones from Halfords have to include a screen so a £300 mark up without needing a screen is a little steep. I guess you knew you would never get your money back on it which is ok if you keep the car for 10 years. Otherwise was you not tempted to not get it and buy one for £100?

To be fair, £400 is a bit steep. If you are haggling on a deal then you wont notice the price too much. £400 just gives room to manouver.

its not a bad unit. It just seems to have some unexpected rookie mistakes in it that could/should have been picked up before release.

Not everyone wants to have a stand alone sat nav - with the bother of dismounting the unit when they leave the car, cable trailing over the dash, etc. Its a personal choice .....

• Like 1

Not everyone wants to have a stand alone sat nav - with the bother of dismounting the unit when they leave the car, cable trailing over the dash, etc. Its a personal choice .....

I hate the built in one that much, I have removed the micro SD card from it so it won't work.

If the unit has a removable micro SD card, is it possible to install the card from a stand-alone TomTom and get both the functionality and the updates of the separate unit?

If the unit has a removable micro SD card, is it possible to install the card from a stand-alone TomTom and get both the functionality and the updates of the separate unit?

I thought about doing that so I explored the content of the SD card but found no map on it just a bunch of things like POI,s and Speed Cameras. So I guess the map is on the units internal memory.

Actually I might remove the hardware from the car and see if I can connect it to the computer and have a play about with it. I have the dealer install manual for it that I found on the net and it look fairly easy, it will mean stripping down some of the dash but as I am a mechanic for a living that makes the job easy.

I hate the built in one that much, I have removed the micro SD card from it so it won't work.

wow - that's quite an admission!

I agree with the first post that having it built in with no wires trailing and nothing stuck to the windscreen is the main reason I went for the built in unit.

In a 21st century car like the Aygo having a pole stuck to the windscreen with a tiny screen and speaker seems as odd as having a cassette player to me - but again that's personal opinion.

It seems to work well enough for me so I'm not about to disable it just yet.

I've just spent my entire day navigating around with the X-Nav. a mix of city , open roads , country lanes even a bit off road.

With the greatest of respect to everyone who is less than happy - I really don't know what the issue is.

Fast accurate and a good clear easily reachable touch screen display. Clear spoken, timely, instructions boom from the Speakers whilst momentarily muting the music ( would a Tom Tom do that ?)

At no point during the day did I think the Battery was about to die and have to scrabble about for curly wires.

The fact it doesn't speak the road name is a minor irritation. (90% of the time when a Nav says "turn left into (comically mispronounced ) road" you can't see the road name anyway. It's written on the screen don't forget!

Maybe I'm getting too ahead of myself and it's yet to show it's failings. But on today's evidence it is money very well spent

Well for the money it has cost I just think it's a bit too basic. The convenience of a built in unit has to be good but it certainly is lacking behind in terms of specification for what it costs.

Money?

Cost?

I got a sizeable discount on the price of the car.

So maybe I should look upon it as a freebie LOL.

• Like 1

Mine was thrown in as part of the deal when I bought my Xcite... so no complaints there. No waiting 5 mins for it to find a gps signal... no nasty wires and no taking it off the screen and hiding it every time you park up...bonus

The speed it finds signal is amazing. Our last aygo used to take up to 15 mins sometimes. The sound quality is much better in the new models too.

We have just got our new Aygo, minus the Sat Nav, as it was missed off the order! All is not lost, as it is an easy retro fit and the car goes into the dealer for the update on Thursday. After all the discussion, I am getting quite exited to finally see what it is really like.

One bit of definite news is on the cost of updates, which works out to £91-00 including VAT.

My satnav froze several time on a trip to and around the Lake District las week so I have booked it in with my Toyota dealer who say it probably needs a software update so it's going in soon so I will report back if the software is indeed updated, glad I had my trusty tomtom as a back up with me.

Got the sat nav and it works fine.

Two things which irritate me are, 1) the screen that needs to be acknowledged to say that I will drive responsibly and not be distracted by the sat nav. I cannot see a way of turning this wretched warning off and am asking if anyone knows of a way to do this?

and 2) the sat nav switching itself off if it is programmed before the engine is started (Smart Start MMT vehicle). This means having to set it again. Is there a way round this (it should be possible to program a route the night before and have the device ready to go in the morning?)

Yeah, the message is a bit annoying but I can’t see a way to turn it off i.e. no “don’t show this again” tick box. This may be a legal requirement more than poor design as if I recall correctly my Garmin and Tom Tom has the same message every time it boots up.

It is however amusing I can fiddle with all other aspects of the X-touch including, if I wish, reading and sending texts on the move without such a warning!!!!

I'm not sure I understand about your point 2 – are you saying if you set a route but don’t start the engine the route is not saved? It seems odd if that is true – I’ll have to have a play with my Sat Nav – but frankly the apparent lack of user testing this appears to have had I would believe anything!

OK I've just tried this.

Engine off Nav powered up and set a route.

Turn power off.

Start engine and power up sat nav.

It remembers the route and asks if I want to resume via pop up.

IMAG1162_zpss0yrkxlk.jpg

Seems normal to me.

Dark Matter, what I am complaining about is not what you have described, but rather that the sat nav 'forgets' that it has been selected and the system reverts to the radio on start-up. I then have to select the sat nav again and go through the process of promising not to be distracted etc.....

Ok

I understand.

By "ready to go" you mean already up and running at x- touch boot because it was the last option selected.

It would be kind of neat but equally annoying if you wanted to change the music source but had to exit the. NAV application in order to do it.

Displaying the splash info screen and requiring you to accept the terms takes maybe a couple of seconds and may be a pain but at least it allows the Nav to boot and acquire satellite lock before the map is displayed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update on Nav performance.Today I did the longest trip I have done since getting the car (300miles) on unfamiliar roads and motorways so a good test.

Aside from the car performing well despite not really being a long distance cruiser it was the Nav that proved very capable. I know some have reservations and it is far from perfect with annoying little quirks, but overall I thought it performed well

Satellite acquisition less than 10 Seconds, sensible route options, fast recalculation when I misread an instruction and took a wrong roundabout exit and calculated arrival times spot on.

The only hiccup was a message "error calculating route" when I stopped off in a supermarket and I was driving around the car park.

Normal service resumed the instant I hit the main road.

So all in all I think it's a good option for the X-touch

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links