Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Auris Sr180 Engine Swap - Please Advise

NSilva

Hi guys,

My toyota agent told me that my Auris engine is dying because it starts white smoke and there is a water leak as we.. They told me that it is still under warrenty and I will be getting a brand new engine. Therefore I agreed and my car was given to them for this engine swap.

After three days i received my car. I checked under the bonnet but couldn't see a "NEW" engine but most of my engine parts. So I asked the technician what is the reason.

I was told that only certain major parts were replaced in the engine but they kept the original sump, injectors, starter motor etc. But certain parts inside of the engine were changed.

I was under the impression that my whole old engine will be swapped by a brand new engine.

Can somebody please explain me is this what you called as getting a brand new engine.

If any of you had this incident for Auris, was this is the way your toyota service centre changed your engine.

Or is this me and my stupid feeling about engine change (I know nothing about this technical thing)

Many thanks for your comments.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

Hi Nelum

The above post may not be your actual car but the basic principle is the same.

What i think you need to ask your dealer is was it a dealer garage rebuild OR a new 3/4 or full engine from Japan neither of which include all the extra ancillaries which you mention which would not of been changed in any case.

Regards Mike.

Under warranty Toyota will only allow the fitment of a reconditioned 3/4 engine. This will have been a used engine returned to Toyota as part of another warranty repair.

A 3/4 engine in Toyota speak is an assembled engine from sump to rocker cover and including intake manifold, excluding exhaust manifold, injectors, injector pump , ac pump, alternator, DPNR, Turbo etc

The reconditioned engine will have been sent back to the factory that manufactured the AD series of engines, stripped and inspected with any worn or damaged parts replaced along with all the modifications required to fix the oil consumption/headgasket issue. As it is a reconditioned unit anything that does not need replacement will be reused meaning that it is most likely the engine will not appear "as new"

Under warranty Toyota will only allow the fitment of a reconditioned 3/4 engine. This will have been a used engine returned to Toyota as part of another warranty repair.

A 3/4 engine in Toyota speak is an assembled engine from sump to rocker cover and including intake manifold, excluding exhaust manifold, injectors, injector pump , ac pump, alternator, DPNR, Turbo etc

The reconditioned engine will have been sent back to the factory that manufactured the AD series of engines, stripped and inspected with any worn or damaged parts replaced along with all the modifications required to fix the oil consumption/headgasket issue. As it is a reconditioned unit anything that does not need replacement will be reused meaning that it is most likely the engine will not appear "as new"

Hi, can I assume if the egr looks 'gunked up' it's likely the head gasket would eventually go?

I am trying to understand the reason why this happens - I read somewhere it's due to the shape of the piston, due to carbon deposit build up, due to head gasket, due to egr being clogged - is there 1 underlying design problem please.

See the link in post two, the issue has been extensively covered in that post

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links