Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid Driving. Handbrake Or Foot Brake At The Lights?

rrockettman

Hi all.

I'm used to using the handbrake when stationary in traffic but have noticed today that if I keep my foot on the brake is stops power to the wheels when stopped.

Which is best practice in the hybrid?

I can't find any tips on here or in the handbook.

Thanks in advance.

Russ.

Hi all.

I'm used to using the handbrake when stationary in traffic but have noticed today that if I keep my foot on the brake is stops power to the wheels when stopped.

Which is best practice in the hybrid?

Definitely don’t use just the handbrake at the lights. It’s a disaster! The car will pull away when you take your foot off the footbrake. If you put on the handbrake the control system doesn’t know you want to be stopped and still pumps power into the motor. You have already seen this on your gauges. Using the footbrake the control system realises you want to be stationary and cuts power to the motor. You will (effectively) burn fuel by using just the handbrake.

Put it in P if you like on slow traffic lights to save wear and tear on your knee.

Thanks Leslie. That's just what I needed to know.

Russ.

Let me back up my qualitative considerations with some hard evidence, just measured.

Using Torque Pro I had around 16V per Bank on the traction Battery, so about 224V overall.

Just sitting in the garage in P mode takes 1.0A (224W).

Putting it into D and holding on the footbrake is still 1.0A.

Using the handbrake in D with no footbrake 2.2A, an extra 270W.

While I was at it I also did headlights 1.6A (an extra 134W).

Aircon (no headlights) 4.9A (an extra 874W)

• Like 3

Interesting. I thought the AC would use more. Must be very efficient indeed.

Sent from my iPhone

Interesting. I thought the AC would use more. Must be very efficient indeed.

I should have mentioned that the car was in ECO mode. They say the aircon power is reduced in that mode. Another test is needed.

Also I need to compare Torque Pro's aircon PID with the raw power reading because I seem to recall the aircon PID giving a very much lower value.

I would prefer you use P; I !Removed! hate it when people sit at the lights for ages with their brake lights blinding me at night.

However, since in an entire column of stationary traffic, I am usually the only one who actually does this (In my case, handbrake+neutral rather than handbrake+P), I feel this is a bit of a lost cause... :unsure:

NB: If you do use P, it is recommended the handbrake is applied first; P-mode doesn't actually activate any brakes and the only thing stopping you from moving is a little pawl, which I suspect can't actually take much force without risking damage!

I would prefer you use P; I !Removed! hate it when people sit at the lights for ages with their brake lights blinding me at night.

However, since in an entire column of stationary traffic, I am usually the only one who actually does this (In my case, handbrake+neutral rather than handbrake+P), I feel this is a bit of a lost cause... :unsure:

NB: If you do use P, it is recommended the handbrake is applied first; P-mode doesn't actually activate any brakes and the only thing stopping you from moving is a little pawl, which I suspect can't actually take much force without risking damage!

Good point. (Us HSD types shouldn't use Neutral of course)

Interestingly, the manual says to not use the handbrake in Winter because it will freeze up, parking soley using the P function. I have yet to establish what the P function does exactly in terms of the mechanics.

I put my hybrid in P when stationary - N is a lost cause as it'll flatten the HV Battery if still for an extended period of time, so P it is.

• Like 1

Some interesting replies.

I don't usually travel in rush hour traffic but this week is one of the few when I have to.

On the way in this morning, the slow tailback into Hereford from the south meant it took 20 mins to cover a mile.

Nice to do this without the engine, I hated my old Civic diesel in traffic like this!

I used P and handbrake when stationary for long periods and the foot brake for the shorter stops. I agree with the comment about sitting with the brake lights on and I'm sure that also uses power.

For once, I arrived at work quite relaxed after sitting in traffic.

Thanks again.

Russ.

• Like 2

I searched the web and found some detailed Toyota training course notes, :clap:

the HSD training course being “course 071”.

Prius P-mode Mechanism

post-146713-0-87219000-1436306661_thumb.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links