Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rust and warranty

Beti

My Yaris is only 2.5 years old, and I have noticed two small spots of rust near the wheels. Where should I start?  Should I try removing it with some chemical solution, or should I head directly to the warranty department for assistance?

20240506_172543.jpg

Looks like stone chip damage or similar. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Looks like stone chip damage or similar. 

Therefore it won't be covered by warranty.

A chip repair person will smarten it up a bit and stop it getting worse.

• Like 1

Those are so small and in an area that doesn't really notice that I would simply use the corner of a bit of folded wet and dry finishing paper (very fine sandpaper) and just rub the spot with the corner of the paper so you are down to metal but do not go into the surrounding paint area.

Clean off any dirt and I would use alcohol (like isopropanol) and give the area a clean with that. With it fully dry next dab a bit of touchup paint onto the spot using a matchstick. As the solvent evaporates the 'blob' will shrink down. Apply it very sparingly so it just fill the spot and does not spread onto the surrounding paint. Practice placing a bit of paint on an old tin can or something first so you can get a feel for how little to apply.

• Like 7

I strongly doubt that this damage would be covered by warranty - that only covers manufacturing defects in the paintwork that lead to corrosion. They would argue that you have driven over rough road surfaces and the wheels have thrown up stones which have chipped the paint and allowed corrosion to set in. That is where mudflaps would help if you could consider getting them fitted - they do prevent stone damage to lower doors and sills.

Either, as others have said, contact a mobile chip repair technician who will come to you and repair the damage, or simply go to Toyota parts department at your local dealers and get some touch up paint - better from the dealers than Halfords as you will get a better colour match. You will also then have the paint handy to cover any future paint chips before the rust sets in. Get some rust treatment such as Kurust and apply that first to prepare the damaged area for the touch up paint - do not apply touch up paint directly on top of rusty metal.

On 5/7/2024 at 10:59 AM, Mooly said:

I would simply use the corner of a bit of folded wet and dry finishing paper (very fine sandpaper) and just rub the spot

If I'm looking at the right place, in the picture, it looks like someone's already rubbed the area with something abrasive? Diagonal marks left to right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links