Huge Range of Toyota Parts
    • Save Up To 15% Off For Members
      Save Up To 15% Off For Members
    • Get Your Club Gear!
      Get Your Club Gear!
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

nielshm

Is the hybrid engine too weak for the new CHR

13 posts in this topic

I found this clip on Youtube, showing acceleration fra 0-140.

It seems like the car is struggeling, 122 hp is not a lot for a car of this size. It's higher, heavier and fitted with wider tyres, than the Auris. I fear it could be a bit difficult driving at hign speeds, and still keeping revs low. After all, the car is 90 mm. higher and 170 kg. heavier.

Since the hybrid systen is similar to the one found in the Auris, a full acceleration seems a lot faster.

Have you tried the car yet, and what first impressions have you experienced?

In terms of size the C-HR isn't that different to the Auris (although the C-HR is not based on the Auris), and is lighter than the Auris.

Length - Auris 4330mm - C-HR 4360mm

Width - Auris 1760mm - C-HR 1795mm

Height - Auris 1475mm - C-HR 1555mm

Kerb weight - Auris 1415-1425kg - C-HR 1380-1420kg.

The danish specs is quite different. The CHR weighs 1525 kg as a Hybrid. The 1.2T is 50 kg lighter. 

The Auris weighs 1425 kg as a Hybrid and the 1.2T is 100 kg lighter. 

It looks like the UK driving experience of the C-HR will be different to that in the Netherlands, and the two versions of the C-HR hybrid won't be directly comparable.

Like all Hybrids it is a bit "Revvy" but drives and handles superbly. Once you get used to how the Hybrid system drives, you will get used to it.

1 person likes this

On 11/01/2017 at 4:30 PM, Parts-King said:

Like all Hybrids it is a bit "Revvy" but drives and handles superbly. Once you get used to how the Hybrid system drives, you will get used to it.

Today I drive the 1.2T Auris with CVT. I find the CVT less "revvy" than the Hybrid, due to the better torque from the turbo. Turbocharged engine and CVT works pretty well in the Auris. How ever, if I fill the car with passengers and suitcases in the back, the CVT is a lot harder drive with low revs. The extra weight clearly makes a difference.

So if the CHR is higher, heavier and with wider tires, that must be something that can be felt every day.

The CHR looks great, but it's a shame if the engine or drivetrain does'nt match the look. 

I drove one yesterday and power seemed adequate, might not be as powerful as some of the cars I have owned but as I currently have a Prius the hybrid C-HR seems a reasonable replacement for me.

I've come from a Prius to a C-HR, it has more power, directional stability through the bends is vastly superior. You don't realise how good it till you drive one. 

1 person likes this

I ordered mine as a company/leased car last week. A Hybrid,metal stream, dynamic. I am currently driving a Prius plus so really looking forward to driving the C-HR. I haven't had a test drive but I have no complaints about the Prius plus so even if the C-HR drive is the same, with the style that the C-HR brings  I will be happy enough.

On 10/01/2017 at 6:46 PM, nielshm said:

122 hp is not a lot for a car of this size

Having looked at the power of the cars I have owned I found that most of them had less than 122bhp which would suggest that the power is adequate for my needs especially as I never seem to do 0-60 as fast as possible

We have had our hybrid Excel 2 days now.  Can't comment on mid range acceleration yet, but from standing start it picks up really quickly with instant throttle response.  All aspects of handling are excellent too.  We are very pleased.  Our other Toyota is a GT86, fitted with a Cosworth supercharger.  Even against that, the C-HR is very satisfying.  Motorway driving coming soon!

Got mine today,only driven it back from the dealership and on a local shopping trip so never exceeded 40mph. No problem keeping up with other traffic - performance as expected.

120 mile trip on motorway. Acceleration was fine for overtaking and keeping up with traffic.