Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

advise ref - injectors

mechmanuk

2006 avensis 2.2 d-4d t180 estate

hi guys, this car seems to be an ongoin saga but im not givin in quite yet. I need advise as to what may be goin on with mi car when shes cold.

She smokes like a good en from start up in a morning! (grey smoke) doesnt use oil or water (engine rebuild, head & gasket done) 

Once warmed up shes fine and later in the day after work shes fine, a little smoke but nothing like in the mornings.

Once warmed up shes fine, and she runs and picks up really well with no issues.

I have changed a few items as i have spares, maf sensor, egr, temp sensor. but still the same

A friend of mine says it may be the injectors, but i ask myself why would it start fine, runs superb if injectors were faulty? but it has to be fuel related as it dont use oil and water? I have noticed the tickover sticks at 1200 revs most times? but will run at 1000 revs most times.

If anyone can advise or give any ideas whats occuring as i dont really want to sell her as i really like this car, thanks.

how many miles on it?

Bluey grey smoke tends to be oil burning, whitish smoke could be moisture, DPF regenerating or unburnt fuel (injectors).

Idle from a truly cold start at this time of year normally is 1200rpm especially if you have additional load (headlights, a/c, demister etc.) on. Even when warmed up if you have additional load it may still idle at 1000rpm but warm idle without extra load should be ~800rpm.

• Like 1

Yes grey smoke will be unburnt diesel. Have you checked the glow plugs for electrical conductivity? Does it start cleanly in the morning?

not burning oil,  has to be unburnt fuel ide a thought but not sure. I have put a multimeter over the glow plugs to see if they have a pulse (read on other post 0.6v?) and they all check out on that score. Today it decided to stop start, then stop again, start and then was okay, no management lights on, think im just jinxed with this car, maybe sell spares or repair lol 

it sounds like your fuel injectors could have a tiny weep on one or more , due to the fact they are sat under very high pressure , as your leak is within the conbustion chamber as it smokes heavily from cold be it coolant / oil or fuel only a mechanic can tell you through smell and observation and testing . Perhaps you can upload a small video of the issue could help us . Also can you confirm the engine fires up instant and runs smooth or starts up a bit lumpy then smoothed out . 

Yes, when I said does it start cleanly I should have said does it start on all cylinders immediately, only on some cylinders, did it take some cranking before it starts?

hi guys, think i know what the problem is now. there was a problem with no 2 months ago, the chamber was cleaned and a new washer was fitted (aluminium from toyota) and ran really well since apart from smoke?

cars since cut out (today) and i can see fuel residue around no2 injector. 

My m8 told me (memory sucks) that someone who had car previously must have used a screwdriver on the chamber as there was bad score marks below where the seal sits? and suspects this is the reason for the leak past, he did say today to try copper seal 

Dont know how im gonna fix this if copper washer dont work, dont fancy taking engine out again. thanks fellas.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links