Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Air-Con Problem

Doosan

I have a problem with my A/C it started about 3 weeks ago when I start my car and go for a drive the A/C works fine however when I stop and turn the engine off and then restart it the A/C doesn't work and won't work again until left overnight. I booked it into Mr. Toyoya and they had it for a day and had the same problem so decided to replace a pressure switch and the ECU at a later date. My car went in again last Tuesday as the parts had come in. They had the car for 3 days and said all is working fine, yesterday (while out) the A/C works fine but again when I stop and then come back to the car the A/C doesn't work BUT after about 5 min's of driving it suddenly comes back on. Has anybody had this problem or heard of this kind of fault? Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.   

48 minutes ago, Doosan said:

I have a problem with my A/C it started about 3 weeks ago when I start my car and go for a drive the A/C works fine however when I stop and turn the engine off and then restart it the A/C doesn't work and won't work again until left overnight. I booked it into Mr. Toyoya and they had it for a day and had the same problem so decided to replace a pressure switch and the ECU at a later date. My car went in again last Tuesday as the parts had come in. They had the car for 3 days and said all is working fine, yesterday (while out) the A/C works fine but again when I stop and then come back to the car the A/C doesn't work BUT after about 5 min's of driving it suddenly comes back on. Has anybody had this problem or heard of this kind of fault? Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.   

I believe the system has a temperature sensor, or sensors, to inform the ECU of the A/C system and outside ambient temperature. I wonder if a loose sensor connector or malfunction is the issue.

Hi David, when this started 3 weeks ago and the weather was very warm and I did wonder if it was connected but thought Mr Toyota would of found that out but they seemed baffled and just said see how it goes with the 2 things that they changed. Thanks for your suggestion, I will give Toyota a call tomorrow.

Mine used to do the same and I got a very experienced air con guy to take a look he sorted in a few minutes, mine was a shim on the clutch on the end of the compressor, when started from cold worked ok but once turned off and on again would not work as shim was worn and the clutch wouldn't engage properly when hot. He replaced just the worn shim on the clutch where most places tell you , you have to replace the whole compressor but not the case. I have told a few people this on here and should be a drawing somewhere on here showing the shim, do a search. Hope this may help , worth a try mate. Mine cost me £40 to get sorted.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/168388-42-ac-issue-diagnosisclutch-control-relay-location/

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links