Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2005 Rav4 5door Xt3 2ltr

t2herby

Just bought a new RAV 4 5 door XT3 2.0 litre, when I change gear, come of the accelerator and press the clutch pedal to the floor, engage gear before I touch the accelerator,I can feel the engine revs thru the clutch pedal, it is more pronounced in 1st and second gear, Toyota technical department have told me that it is something to do with the eng man system, for emission control, and it is normal for this car, has any one else and similar problem

Hi Herby

Yes. I have experianced the same problem/issue when I bought my XT4 last June. I thought initially I was doing something wrong. when I changed gear and took my foot off the throttle to change gear the revs held/increased. It felt as though I still had my foot on the accelerator.

After looking on the internet and speaking to other owners it seems that this is a common feature of modern low emission engines. The engine management unit cannot suddenly switch of the accelerator if you are accelerating hard, as unburnt fuel will get through. I beleive its called throttle lag.

Anyway the good thing is that after a while your driving style sort of gets used to it and it hardly ever bothers me now.

Hope this helps

Ian

Hi Herby

Yes. I have experianced the same problem/issue when I bought my XT4 last June. I thought initially I was doing something wrong.  when I changed gear and took my foot off the throttle to change gear the revs held/increased.  It felt as though I still had my foot on the accelerator.

After looking on the internet and speaking to other owners it seems that this is a common feature of modern low emission engines.  The engine management unit cannot suddenly switch of the accelerator if you are accelerating hard, as unburnt fuel will get through.  I beleive its called throttle lag.

Anyway the good thing is that after a while your driving style sort of gets used to it and it hardly ever bothers me now.

Hope this helps

Ian

Thanks for the reply Ian, my local Toyota dealership have offered to get me a similar RAV to mine, to put my mind at rest that this problem/issue is not just a problem with my RAV. The silly things is my Wife does not notice it, perhaps she’s a better driver than me.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links