Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Surface Rust On 'running Gear'

instantdiver

I posted this as part of another question (with no response) so as I'm interested, thought I'd try again.

I pick up our 3 year old RAV4 next week. Of all the cars I viewed, I noticed that they seem to have a fair bit of surface rust on the 'running gear' etc. under the car. What's the best way to both protect this and make it look better i.e the suspension 'bits' etc. (I'm not fully car savvy) visible from above?

Did start to reply to your earlier query but couldn't remember the product name so cancelled it.

Here goes again !

I have the same on my '97 3dr a few years back and all I did was wash it all off and spray the suspension area etc with clear Waxoyl spray (put load of newspaper down as it seems to go everywhere - including my hair as it was a windy day !!).

I also sprayed some of the exposed bodywork but did not do it all as I did not off-road much.

Used Waxoyl as it stays tacky - the other treatments available all seemed to be the setting type and I did not want and stone chipping of rusting under the coating.

It eventually got a layer of raod grime stuck to it but in my mind it was better than being rusty.

Hope that helps.

Andy.

Thanks. I've heard of waxoyl but never looked to apply it. Do you need special equipment to spray it or is it in a pressurised container?

You can buy it in aerosols....... Nearly spelt that wrong :lol: Or you can buy a 5 litre can with a pump up thing and several different applicators. The latter is ideal if you want to spray inside box sections and hard to get to areas. The aerosols are good if you only have small easy to get to areas. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yup - used the small cans - it got a bad name a few years back for cars rusting after treatment - caused by users spraying too much into doors and panels and blocking the drainage holes !!

Easy but surprisingly messy to use - worth it in the long run on the exposed parts but have never used it for any internal protection.

Just keep any over-spray / wind-drift off your brakes B)

Comma, also make a wax spray, i use it on all my cars when i first get them, it keeps out the rust and keeps the suspension looking new ( well newish ):yes: .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links