Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

We Need More Debating On Toc! So I'll Start One..

Leeky

Question-

Has the Fast and the Furious damaged or bettered the Jap Performance Car community/culture?

My personal opinion is - damaged.

I think that it has helped bring the whole 'jap scene' to the masses but i think it has tarnished it with a 'ricer' or 'chav' image.

Unfortunatly too many idiots now buying Supra's and Skylines and 'max'ing them up :crybaby:

What does everyone else think?

Yes it has, i think its been turned into something american aswell, toomuch of their style and not enough of any other. Doesnt help with mags like max power showing chavs how to do things!

Good good :D Anyone care to disagree? thought we could get a bit of friendly banta going :D

I think it's a good thing as it's bringing different styles and influences to the fold (that we can all point at and laugh).

I think it's opened up a LOT of UK tuning/styling companies, which is a good thing as getting all your parts direct from Japan is very costly.

So we have MORE choice and CHEAPER parts .. either that or we'd all still be modding minis and beatles.

(Just a shame there is the chrome/neon tat that comes with it).

I think its had an effect on all modified cars, not just jap...

Talk to any teenager about modified cars and they will respond...

Naaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwssssssssss

They know no other word... and think as long as it has stickers and a big wing its fast...

and although, there are still some very nice modified jap cars, it does seem the majoirty are aiming to replicate that style, which is a shame, as it would be nice to see more creativity and originalality...

But as Ben says, if you want to modify, its better now than it ever has been with products and events...

Thats the thing, its all chrome and neons, its tacky and its thanks to the chavs who buy them that make the moddding scene have a bad name

I agree that its damaged the image but the market for parts etc has opened up greatly so you now have a lot more choice and the price of parts is coming down as competition increases between businesses!

CB :thumbsup:

It's the people putting wings on hatchbacks, neons cable tied to undertrays and oversized wheels that do nothing for performance that get's my goat.

If you have a car, and you wanna add styling and performance fine, but start somewhere good instead of throwing money at a Saxo. And do it with quality parts, not tat (expensive) tat from Ripspeed.

The Mona Lisa wasn't created with crayons on a torn sheet glued to a bit of MDF.

Talk to any teenager about modified cars and they will respond...

Naaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwssssssssss

They know no other word... and think as long as it has stickers and a big wing its fast...

LMFAO! So !Removed! true. :D

MaxW**k and other similar mags have a lot to answer for. !Removed! for cowards.

My wife teaches secondary sprogs and the lads are always drawing their "dream machines" in the backs of their books. To the point that when she is doing her marking in the evenings, she'll pass 'em over to me and we take it in turns to mark their doodles and comment on them... "Overall, not bad, but your alloys don't match, your arches need rolling and while having a picnic table attached to the rear of your car means you can picnic anywhere you want, surely the position of the table restricts your view!"

I think it's a good thing as it's bringing different styles and influences to the fold

I think it's opened up a LOT of UK tuning/styling companies, which is a good thing as getting all your parts direct from Japan is very costly.

So we have MORE choice and CHEAPER parts .. either that or we'd all still be modding minis and beatles.

and although, there are still some very nice modified jap cars, it does seem the majoirty are aiming to replicate that style, which is a shame, as it would be nice to see more creativity and originalality...

These are my thoughts aswell (sorry to be lazy and use your quotes i know it annoys some people but didn't see any point duplicating it - topic for another debate maybe!)

As said, I think it has opened up the whole modifying scene and put it within reach of everyone. This is probably what annoys some people but it helps draw out the creativity and originality from people who otherwise may not have got involved.

Thats the thing, its all chrome and neons, its tacky and its thanks to the chavs who buy them that make the moddding scene have a bad name

I think the chrome, and bizarre modifications have 'pimp my ride' more to blame than F&F - although the latter should take resonsibility for the completley standard fiesta's driving around with Neon tube's hanging off the underside of the car...

It's the people putting wings on hatchbacks, neons cable tied to undertrays and oversized wheels that do nothing for performance that get's my goat.

If you have a car, and you wanna add styling and performance fine, but start somewhere good instead of throwing money at a Saxo. And do it with quality parts, not tat (expensive) tat from Ripspeed.

The Mona Lisa wasn't created with crayons on a torn sheet glued to a bit of MDF.

I agree with the first bit, I actually saw the Mona Lisa on Sunday, its a lot smaller than you'd expect, and quite an anti-climax... ;)

i enjoy my jap motor , but there are way too many kicking about now.mainly st202's though , also alot of youngsters in supras with ( YUK ) veilside kits fitted. i prefer to leave the body stock and tweek under the bonnet , also alot of powerfull motors are now in the hands of inexperienced drivers and so called boy racers , they are bad enough in corsas and saxos without being let loose in a 200+ bhp monster . just my opinion of course.which usually goes un heard. :P :lol::lol:

I agree with the first bit, I actually saw the Mona Lisa on Sunday, its a lot smaller than you'd expect, and quite an anti-climax... ;)

Much like the Evo bonnet vents, 4" exhaust and 20" chome wheels .. you get close and it's a Nova ..

Much like the Evo bonnet vents, 4" exhaust and 20" chome wheels .. you get close and it's a Nova ..

No, id say it was more like seeing a hugely modified Supra, big wing, flames from the exhaust, graphics, and looking under the bonnet to find an unmodified N/A...

i enjoy my jap motor , but there are way too many kicking about now.mainly st202's though , also alot of youngsters in supras with ( YUK ) veilside kits fitted. i prefer to leave the body stock and tweek under the bonnet , also alot of powerfull motors are now in the hands of inexperienced drivers and so called boy racers  , they are bad enough in corsas and saxos without being let loose in a 200+ bhp monster . just my opinion of course.which usually goes un heard.  :P  :lol:  :lol:

It's cause they go from their Mum's shopping car to these RWD beasties.

They then wonder why they are in a forrest upsidedown.

I've been RWD for the last 5/6 years .. and rev1 MR2, rev2 Turbo and S2k are not know as widowmakers for no reason. They are "killer" cars, you have to treat it with respect. Not something a 18 year old 206 driver with a bit of cash will do.

Personally i enjoyed the F&F films just for the fun of it. They seemed to have opened many peoples eyes to the modified car scene. The problem is the cars they used... Jap Cars. Therefore little spotty children are now adding jap-inspired parts to very non-jap cars and it's this which annoys me.

It isn't necessarily the films which caused the damage to the jap-tuning scene, more the crappy companys like carcept and Ripspeed who (excuse pun) have ripped off the original designs of japanese car tuning firms.

It's also the people who have caused the problems today... it's Max Muppet inc. who have given every single car moddifier in Britain the title of being a Chav. Simply talk to anybody who doesn't really care about cars and tell them you've modified your car, or let them see your modifications and they change their image of you and you're instantly thought of as a boy-racer. Much like the skin-head thing of the early 90's... shave your head and you are dangerous.

Thankfully, most Jap cars hold their value well, so they are quite often out of the reach of Saxo drivers.

After all this though, im a driver of a modified shopping trolley... im hardly helping the situation...!

Without a doubt its damaged it... especially for supra drivers!!! I am just infinitely glad they the !Removed! orange monstrosity was not a Mkiii, at least I can diss associate my car beign related to that thing......

I feel sorry for hte guys with MkII Mr2s.. oen of the reason I wanted rid of my grey Mkii was that they were getting everywhere, and they are falling into the hands off to many max muppets!!!!!!

Most of these people ahve never drivena RWD car before, think they can "drift" stakc it and next thing the car is branded as having "bad handling"... My REv 2 was fantastic to drive, I could hold it sodeways all day, of keep it straight to "press on"...

Another aspect is the fact that Jap cars in general not have more of a boyracer/"ricer" image... It annoys me because I have two modified Jap cars, and they are about as far from "that end" of modifying as possible... yet in the eyes of the public, the police, and more worryingly the insurenace I ama fast and furious max muppet.....

This is also one of the reasons I sold my High Power wet shot nitrous system ;)

Thankfully, most Jap cars hold their value well, so they are quite often out of the reach of Saxo drivers.

After all this though, im a driver of a modified shopping trolley... im hardly helping the situation...!

Unfortunatly, MR2's are 2k now, Supra's can be got for 4k ..

FTO's are cheap. GTO's not much more. Hell, mint scumbarus are 4k ..

How much is a new Polo? 8/9k?

So that's a MR2 Turbo and 5k down Ripspeed on 19" wheels, sun strips and tacky plastic things to stick on your dash and LEDs in your mirrors, exhaust, valve caps, foot wells, door locks, gear stick etc etc.

And yes about the shopping trolley. They shouldn't be modded, buy one, rag it, crash it, write it off, forget about it, get a good car ;)

Too right....

Your not cool if you dont have all sorts of things sticking out of your body work and plenty of blinging chrome....

So I've been lead to believe anyway! :lol:

I think it has damaged the scene. Seem to see more cars (not just Japanese cars) with stupidly big alloys, poor body kits etc, etc.

Only got to hope they don't make anymore follow ups.

No, id say it was more like seeing a hugely modified Supra, big wing, flames from the exhaust, graphics, and looking under the bonnet to find an unmodified N/A...

:( I wish to modify the exterior of my car without touching the engine, does that make me a chav max muppet?!! :crybaby:

I hope not...

(mind you, i'm talking factory skirts and no more) :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links