#1 right-on

right-on

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Toyota Model: -

Posted 28 December 2005 - 12:03 PM

Yaris D4D - Registered March 2004, now 27,500 miles on clock.
Has anyone else had a problem with a D4D cutting out?

The problem started about 2000 miles ago. The engine cuts out when starting to accellerate after (for example) descending a hill, turning a corner etc. The engine can be restarted after removing the key from the ignition, then re-inserting it but the engine malfunction light remains lit. After four or five restarts the light stays out.

Also, occasionally the engine seems to 'cough' - same circumstances as above.

It has been back to the dealer three or four times but each time the computer says that the engine 'stalled'. Their best suggestion was to stop using supermarket fuel - now been using 'Shell' for last 1500 miles and problem recurred yesterday.

Also, the problem appears worse when the car is driven gently. (No cracks please - better to drive it gently in current snow and ice!)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jaxx

jaxx

Top Rank Poster!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,966 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Clio RS 200 (well... Toyota should stop building crap!)

Posted 28 December 2005 - 12:07 PM

sounds like a duff ECU to me, take it back to Turd... i mean Toyota and give them an ear full, theres obviously something wrong somewhere other than 'stalling'

#3 b1ackb1rd

b1ackb1rd

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Toyota Model: 95hp Yaris D-4D

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:31 PM

I think I'd try a new air/fuel filters and a healthy squirt of Redex diesel inj cleaner before paying Mr T's labour charges.

#4 right-on

right-on

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:43 PM

I think I'd try a new air/fuel filters and a healthy squirt of Redex diesel inj cleaner before paying Mr T's labour charges.

Thanks for the suggestions.

A letter will be in the post tomorrow to Toyota GB asking for their help.

Just had new air filter at 30k service (Mr T dealer) and been using Redex for past 1500 miles. Dealer has not suggested fuel filter though, but I'll see if the letter provokes any suggestions from Mr T first. The car is still under warranty so labour should not be a problem.

#5 Woody27

Woody27

Top Rank Poster!

• Advanced Members
  • 2,278 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris 1.3 SR[red P1]

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:51 PM

Good luck with a response from MR.T as you may need it!

#6 Viper_7

Viper_7

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Toyota Model: Volvo S60 D5 SE / Ex Yaris TS /Wife has Yaris 07 TR

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:03 PM

may sound daft..but do you having any other electronic gizmo's on your keyring?
They can interfere with the transponser in the key and activate the immobiliser.

however... this wouldn't make the Eninge management light come on.... well wouldn't think so.

Mr T are taking the mic about not using supermarket fuel. Even if the Engine Management light has extinguished..the error codes will still be in memory..and easily readable.

#7 right-on

right-on

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:49 PM

Good luck with a response from MR.T as you may need it!

Woody - It looks like you could be right - no reply yet from Toyota.

may sound daft..but do you having any other electronic gizmo's on your keyring?
They can interfere with the transponser in the key and activate the immobiliser.

however... this wouldn't make the Eninge management light come on.... well wouldn't think so.

Mr T are taking the mic about not using supermarket fuel. Even if the Engine Management light has extinguished..the error codes will still be in memory..and easily readable.

The problem has occurred using both keys - the only 'extra' on he key-rings is the alarm control - only active when buttons pressed. (no immobilizer other than standard Toyota one).

I thought that about the Tesco fuel, but used to have a Punto that didn't seem to like a diet of Total!

#8 alanbradley

alanbradley

Cool, calm & collected!

• Advanced Members
  • 4,394 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris Turbo (diesel!)

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:55 PM

Hmmm... The only time either of mine have cut out was once when I ran out of diesel.

Speaking of which, if its any consolation my diesels have both run on an almost exclusive diet of Tesco. In fact, I can't remember the last time I filled up with anything else (actually, I can't remember the last time I actually put anything in it!)

Hth and good luck...

A

#9 right-on

right-on

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:02 PM

At Last!

The dealer has done something. Took it in last Monday and they replaced the Injection Pump. I pick it up tomorrow.

Pity it's taken so long.

#10 b1ackb1rd

b1ackb1rd

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Toyota Model: 95hp Yaris D-4D

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:27 PM

Have you drained the fuel pump of water recently?

Ours has an exclusive diet of cacky cheap diesel and runs with a tdi tuning box on max setting with no problems. It gets a squirt of Redex when I remember and I drain the pump twice a year.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users