Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Does The Aygo Has A Speed Limiter?

aygo vvti

I was trying to see ho w fast the aygo could go (not on the road :rolleyes: obviously ) and in 3rd gear it goes up to 90mph then i put 4th gear and it goes up to 95mph and stops there at 5,000rpm i had plenty of road in front of me but the needle didnt move from 5,000rpm and all the car would do was 95mph in 4th gear :censor: is there something wrong with my car or there is some sort of restriction somewhere (gearbox /ecu ?)

I've always used 97 RON from new and I have after market filter and OEM springs but wouldn't expect an increase from any of these ?

I've always used 97 RON from new and I have after market filter and OEM springs but wouldn't expect an increase from any of these ?

Its not these things ! I wouldnt expect a 5 speed car to arrive only on the 5,000rpm mark on the 4th gear ! at least do all 4th gear and maybe on 5th get stuck at 5,000rpm as there would be lack of power! All that 4th gear is there is fo 5 mph as thats what im getting from it (90mph in 3rd - 95mph in 4th ) so 5th is a real xtra for me :unsure: as you dont run out of 4th let alone 5th!

It's a SMALL 3 cylinder... I think the 5000rpm is revv-limited...

Like you can revv it up to 6000 for an instant without

any load, but under load it will only go up to 5000rpm.

I haven't got a revv-counter on my aygo, but with Google I'm finding

pics with redline at 5000rpm and ones that go into red at 6500rpm...

aygo__06.jpgAygo.jpg

Maybe 5000rpm is for the Diesel?

In this movie on youtube they revv it up to 6500rpm while stationnary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZweRxkB1aCg

Try going up to 5000rpm and then de-clutching

and see if you can revv it up while coasting...

4th is usually direct drive and 5th an overdrive, so only

good for cruising, not for acceleration by lack of torque.

on a test track/runway thing that there is near me i put mine flat out i got the neddle to pretty much the limit on the speedo its about 110mph took ages to get up. but i know the revs were up proper high.. my red line is oni think it 6000 and the revounter goes up to 8000. i think it limits to about 6000/7000 (that one on you tube has been tuned up)

The max speed quoted by Toyota is ~98mph is it not? Manufacturers do not under publish the top speed of cars.

I certainly do not fancy travelling at that speed in the Aygo, a gust of wind from the side could be tricky to deal with :help:

On the rev counter going only to 5k revs, surely that is a picture of a diesel? Red line in the petrol is 6k or so.

Anything past 115 in my yaris puts speedo out by about 5mph GPS tested, so could have been that some of you were going down hill or speedo was out.

there is a rev limiter at 6.000 rpm so no standardAygo can rev over that! but it should be able to go to 6.000rpm in all gears not the first 3 only! maybe not in 5th but 4th!!!!!!!! :censor: :censor: :censor:

• 6 months later...

I've got the diesel one and can confirm that the 5000 redline is the diesel version.

I have the same rev issue. When travelling at speed in 5th gear the revs will not rise over 3000 rpm unless there's a downhill gradient. This is because this is the limit of the POWER BAND. The powerband is usually defined as the engine rpm range where at least 75% of the maximum torque is available.

The drag from the wind increases greatly when travelling over 60mph. Also, the law of diminishing returns drains the power available at the crankshaft on a engine as the revs increase.

In short, there is not enough torque to overcome the increased load. The gear ratios on both the petrol and diesel version are specifically designed to get the most out of the engine's powerband. Naturally, staying in the powerband for your vehicle will give better fuel ecomony too.

There is a rev limiter, but because of the modest engine power, the gearing is matched to keep the revs down in a more natural way. The speed limiter is the load. The rev limiter is ECU based

since i put the turbo on there is no problem going over the 110mph so it must have been lack of power!

since i put the turbo on there is no problem going over the 110mph so it must have been lack of power!

I have managed 110mph on a private road too. I found I could never really get anymore than 100mph when using the cheaper fuel. Optimax is the way forward.

I've done 112,5 mph in mine on the german autobahn. It's measured on a GPS. But it was downhill.... It is definately not a comftable car at that speed!!!

I've done 112,5 mph in mine on the german autobahn. It's measured on a GPS. But it was downhill.... It is definately not a comftable car at that speed!!!

I know what you mean. I felt a little nervous especialy when passing trucks and vans.

I got 107mph on the Autobahn, slipstreaming my mate Tony in his Lambo, on the way to the Nordschleife, a couple of weeks ago. I think my fat wheel and tyre combo was slowing me down :unsure:

Either that or the fact that i was 18" off the back of a very expensive car :blink:

All I could see was his big grin in his rear view mirror. He then accellerated away, like a missile. Tony said he was in second gear at 6000 revs and just put his foot down :drool:

He only managed an average 12 mpg for the trip though

• 2 weeks later...

I have reach 187km/h=117mph in my gps but with a high downhill

the car is stock and have a petrol engine

• 13 years later...

That's the top speed Lmao... 

It has very tall gearing to enhance fuel economy 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links