Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why Is It Illegal To Use Fog Lights?

badboyts

Well I drive with mine on usually, as I'm 18 and think it makes me look cool. They dazzle less than main beams so I can't see a problem, in fact having them in dull weather with sidelights is far better than having main beams on dipped.

Hmmmmm 18......."cool".....nuff said

Whats wrong with dipped lights in dull weather, fog lights in fog, maybe even sidelights at dusk.........but fogs wiv sidelights?.... :eek::eek::eek:

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T600

• DellaRed

• Pompey Gaz

• Captain Weirdbeard

The Highway code used to recommend that the safest thing is to concentrate harder on keeping your vehicle in control rather than fixate on the other driver blinding you.

It says to slow down and stop doesn’t it? Same thing I guess… It also says not to use them if visibility is good wink.gif

Dunno! Haven't read an edition since I was an observer for advanced motorcycle training.

I thought most/all modern bikes/mopeds had the dipped headlights wired in to stay on Volvo style? Manufacturers aren’t allowed to rely on riders/drivers having common sense any more sad.gif

What made you think that?

As for driving lights, Driving lights are wired to come on with your full beam, so shouldn't make any different to oncomming drivers anyway! I see no problem at all with having the fog lights on if there is no one about - if if improves visibilty on country lanes etc...

Agree... if only there weren't so many cars with parking damage that makes a spot light (or two) point permanently into oncoming traffic. In well lit areas like towns and cities, these can potentially go unfixed for up to three years in the case of brand new cars.

Bottom line is; people should wind their necks in, stop interferring and mind their own buisiness.

Mat, people are only responding to the posts others have made. The thread started with a question about the law, and people have posted their opinion, which as far as I'm aware they're free to do on this public forum. Those who avoid the illegal use of fogs have their necks wound out no further than those who are in favour of it.

I have to throw another hand grenade in here....................

If I do put my fog lamps on in a country lane..........I can hardly ruddy tell. They seem to be only any good for errr well fog really.

So if you do run around with them on "To look cool" fine, your choice but don't lets confuse it with "I need the extra light" to see where I'm going. If you think it looks chavtastic then fine, just don't be heading down my lane with them burnin me eyeballs out!

Fog lights do not look cool.

Whenever I see one I just think "What a saddo" - and to be honest anyone over the age of 21 probably feels the same - understandably its a peer pressure thing for the 18 year olds to "look cool" in front of their mates....

There are plenty of other ways to "look cool", such as a handlebar moustache and hawaiian shirts.... I'd much recommend you try those and ditch the over-eager fog lights.... unless it's foggy, in which case they then become cool! ;)

By the by people - keep it clean and try not to insult each other, else I'll have to resort to my tanktop and flares (also known as closing the thread)

Fog lights do not look cool.

<snip>

There are plenty of other ways to "look cool", such as a handlebar moustache and hawaiian shirts.... I'd much recommend you try those and ditch the over-eager fog lights.... unless it's foggy, in which case they then become cool! ;)

By the by people - keep it clean and try not to insult each other, else I'll have to resort to my tanktop and flares (also known as closing the thread)

[biting carpet]Handlebar 'stache? Good one. I nearly became incontinent with laughter.

I can't stand it when people drive with fogs on and there isn't even the slightest bit of fog going! I just think they are stupid and should understand basic rules of the road..but then that also applies for middle lane hoggers, people that never indicate etc....and if those lights were meant to be used daily (or whatever) then they should be renamed!! :lol:

some people are acting like they see people/cars with fogs on all the time ... i go out every evening between the hours of 11:00 and 1:30 in the morning, there are lots of cars around at that time but i cant remember the last time i saw someone with their fogs on without it being foggy! ... do they all come out earlier or something? maybe im missing something! ... now full beam is something different! ... fog lights are just a couple of extra lights, they arent blinding or anything ... maybe those people that dont like driving at night/seeing fog lights should invest in some night driving glasses ... they might help as they find the lights offensive :)

I once stopped at the traffice lights, in fog, with both my front and rear fog lights on. Plod pulled up alongside and we both rolled down the electric windows, "Nice to see you have your fog lights on sir" err "Thank you officer"........."Just lower your speed a little, you should be travelling less than 30mph in a 30 limit in these foggy conditions" WTF I knew he was behind me, I thought I better stick to the limit and not go too slow in case I got pulled........You cant win...lol :eek::eek::eek:

some police are human at the end of the day ... i know a copper that will wave a motorbike on, even though its doing the speed limit, simply because he knows the biker is itching to get past him and the bike is capable of doing some ridiculous mph! ...

Bottom line is; people should wind their necks in, stop interferring and mind their own buisiness.

Mat, people are only responding to the posts others have made. The thread started with a question about the law, and people have posted their opinion, which as far as I'm aware they're free to do on this public forum. Those who avoid the illegal use of fogs have their necks wound out no further than those who are in favour of it.

I can understand alot of people not wanting their fog lights on, and answering the question; it's more insulting people who do have them on, telling them they shouldn't do it just because they don't want to do it. If they understand they could be pulled over, and they aren't affecting anyone besides themselves, where is the problem? Why should it 'annoy' people?

Afterthough: Kingo, the reason I like fogs with side lights in dull weather is because I find main beams dipped dazzle more, and sidelights cannot be seen as they are too dim. Fogs are perfectly suited to the job, they dont dazzle but are highly visible.

what a load of crap this is! whats the matter with everyone these days? there is worse things to worry and moan about surely

what a load of crap this is! whats the matter with everyone these days? there is worse things to worry and moan about surely

Such as moaning about people moaning? ;)

oh yes.... i see now. Using fog lights makes people and their cars so much cooler. I was wrong.... they're so.... so..... specfkintacular! Positively orgasmic in their sublime effect on the shape form and colour of the world around them. Please continue. :thumbsup:

Such as moaning about people moaning? ;)

yeah its much worse than worring about a dam fog light

my mate has a fiesta ST and he never is cool enough to have his fogs on, tbh being 21 i dunno if its cause am boring but i don't find people with fog lights on cool, it doesn't do me any harm though but i think they are divs. if their friends think its cool then they must play up to their friends no? what is it our place to tell people their friends are idiots or wrong? if they wanna do it is upto them

Why are people getting so wound up lol?

Just remember, its the intornet

and they aren't affecting anyone besides themselves, where is the problem? Why should it 'annoy' people?

I am sorry but you are clearly mentally deficient if after the countless references that have been made about them dazzling other road users, you are still unable to grasp the concept as to why "other people are affected".

Do you not consider other drivers discomfort as "affecting" them? What part do you not understand?

Truckr Jack/Cpt Weirdbeard - A biker told me.

Maybe its a Yaris thing... After all the Yaris is the sort of car where fog lights are an optional extra..... So Mat for example wants to show off that his "T sport" economy shopping car is a superior model to the inferior, non T sport, none fog light equipped economy shopping vehicles, this is easily done by "showing off" his optional fog lights, with the side effect of "looking cool"

fog lights are !Removed!. Its annoying though cos i have seen people in fog not using fog lights :|.

However id rather see more police time enforcing lane disapline

Maybe its a Yaris thing... After all the Yaris is the sort of car where fog lights are an optional extra..... So Mat for example wants to show off that his "T sport" economy shopping car is a superior model to the inferior, non T sport, none fog light equipped economy shopping vehicles, this is easily done by "showing off" his optional fog lights, with the side effect of "looking cool"

:D

Then my objection to them must be a Carlos Sainz thing; it hasn't got any!

I think someone decided that his car looked better without them, so they wouldn't fit them to the road car; which is all very well if you're a WRC champion and can look cool without putting your fog lights on.

I can understand alot of people not wanting their fog lights on, and answering the question; it's more insulting people who do have them on, telling them they shouldn't do it just because they don't want to do it. If they understand they could be pulled over, and they aren't affecting anyone besides themselves, where is the problem? Why should it 'annoy' people?

Afterthough: Kingo, the reason I like fogs with side lights in dull weather is because I find main beams dipped dazzle more, and sidelights cannot be seen as they are too dim. Fogs are perfectly suited to the job, they dont dazzle but are highly visible.

HERE HERE :) ... think we might be on the same wavelength! ... its not like the lights are even dazzling! ... you know what could get to me though Mat? people that drive around in big tanks of cars, using lots of fuel/energy to carry one bum about in ... selfish people they are! :)

i go out every evening between the hours of 11:00 and 1:30 in the morning,

Your car doesn't have a red light hanging in it does it?.......lol

Well that's news to this 'biker and I have only been off of two wheels for three years!

If it's true as you quote it, then manufacturers are dumbing down all categories of vehicles. Come to think of it, I started to go off 'bikes a bit when the first ABS BMWs went on the road because I felt more comfortable about being in control rather than letting a complex system decide whether to apply the brake pressure I asked for or not. I was consistently able to out-brake all of the earlier ABS equipped 'bikes at the training pit just by knowing how to use balanced cadence braking between front and rear brakes. I'd like to think that the systems have improved to at least match the braking proficiency of an experienced rider or car driver nowadays.

This is waaaaay off-topic, thanks for indulging me. Back to the thread please...

i go out every evening between the hours of 11:00 and 1:30 in the morning,

Your car doesn't have a red light hanging in it does it?.......lol

HHAHA

and they aren't affecting anyone besides themselves, where is the problem? Why should it 'annoy' people?

I am sorry but you are clearly mentally deficient if after the countless references that have been made about them dazzling other road users, you are still unable to grasp the concept as to why "other people are affected".

Do you not consider other drivers discomfort as "affecting" them? What part do you not understand?

I have told you, before, and I'll tell you again, they dazzle LESS than main beams. I have switched them on, I have went round the front and looked at different levels from around 5-10 metres away and at no point are the fogs brighter, at least on my car anyway. Maybe you should try it yourself rather than 'assume' that they are &#33;Removed&#33; 20 million candlepower floodlights.

Mentally deficient though? You are the one who can't have a proper argument without bringing in pathetic insults about other cars.

Also, many of the Yari have fogs, and you can't even see what car it is at night, so that clearly isn't the reason is it now...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links