Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Economy

stuartgr

Hi

I have an Auris TR 1.6 and think that the Fuel Economy is pretty poor.

I put £40 in the tank the other day and the Digital Trip advised approx

280 Mile Range.

I do not drive fast e.t.c

Is anyone else finding poor economy....

I would like to hear back from you

Stuart :P

Don't bother with the range funtion as they are notoriously inaccurate. Even when mine is filled to brim it only shows 330 miles and it should show about 450.

What average are you achieving? Type of driving etc. Cold days and short distances will destroy all economy.

I don't have your model but my T180 averaged 39 mpg for 10,000 miles.

I can get 50 mpg driving long distances at legal road speeds but this drops to 33 mpg pushing it around the Borders.

Hi

To be honest I do mostly short journeys... I work onlt 4 or 5 miles from home,

i do not think i'm even getting near 40Mpg

Although on a recent trip to Blackpool ( 450 miles round trip the consumption wasn't bad )

But i just feel that the economy is very poor in general

Stuart

:o

Don't bother with the range funtion as they are notoriously inaccurate. Even when mine is filled to brim it only shows 330 miles and it should show about 450.

What average are you achieving? Type of driving etc. Cold days and short distances will destroy all economy.

I don't have your model but my T180 averaged 39 mpg for 10,000 miles.

I can get 50 mpg driving long distances at legal road speeds but this drops to 33 mpg pushing it around the Borders.

I have 1.6 and average I get is 35mpg, but mainly in town (trips to work). The milage is quite low so maybe I will see some improvement later on...

40-42mpg avergae in t180 - about 430 miles to a full tank. 450 if i ran v.low on fuel.

range is totally pointless. If anything when it hits 0 i know i have a comfortable 60 miles left in the tank.

Never let it go too low on fuel though as this isn't great for diesel cars. I always reset the trip a computer every fill up and make sure i refuel by about 430miles.

42mpg on my 2.0 D-4d but I am constantly stuck in traffic commuting. My dad does 57 on his 2.0 D-4d Avensis but I think he labers the engine too much to be healthy so I would expect 50mpg driving normally. Think my dad improved it by 7mpg just from inflating the tires to the correct level.

I saw something about this... I think it was that even if you can but 60litres or something in the gas tank, the range meter calculate the kilometres as if you only have 47,52 litres of gas in the tank... Some safety margin....

I have the 1.6 TR - I also do similar journeys - at this time of year I would see we average 32-33 mpg and in summer 36-38 mpg

Guys we can not compare diesels to petrol engines on fuel consumption. I have choosen petrol as I drive about 12k/year and the return from a diesel would take about 15 years (fuel prices stay unchanged) as the fuel, service, parts and cars with diesel cost more. If you hevy driver however the diesel is for you. You can find calculators that include every aspect like fuel mpg, insurance, tax etc..etc.. and will tell you what is better option for you.

Hi, this is an interesting topic. I recently bought an Auris 2.0 D4D, (3000 miles) and in mostly town driving, i'm getting only 36mpg! This seems very low for a diesel and i'm not a hard driver.

Has anyone else experienced similarly poor economy?

40-42mpg avergae in t180 - about 430 miles to a full tank. 450 if i ran v.low on fuel.

range is totally pointless. If anything when it hits 0 i know i have a comfortable 60 miles left in the tank.

Never let it go too low on fuel though as this isn't great for diesel cars. I always reset the trip a computer every fill up and make sure i refuel by about 430miles.

Sorry to butt in, but why is it bad to let diesel cars run low on fuel?

One of the reasons is that tank may get corroded faster and then all the "pieces" fail to the bottom. If they get into the fuel system they may destroy it as it is very delicate.

Also if you run out of fuel in diesel it is much more difficult to get it running again (than a petrol engine). All the air must be removed from the pump first. In some models pump is lubricated by the fuel and if it runs for a long time without fuel it will be damaged.

I recently bought an Auris 2.0 D4D, (3000 miles) and in mostly town driving, i'm getting only 36mpg!
Check your tire pressures are correct.

One of the reasons is that tank may get corroded faster and then all the "pieces" fail to the bottom. If they get into the fuel system they may destroy it as it is very delicate.

Also if you run out of fuel in diesel it is much more difficult to get it running again (than a petrol engine). All the air must be removed from the pump first. In some models pump is lubricated by the fuel and if it runs for a long time without fuel it will be damaged.

Thanks for the explanation! Not an Auris driver, but a Yaris diesel driver. I'll probably fill up as soon as the low fuel light comes on so won't let it run empty.

This is not much case in UK but in some European countries (and diesel in USA and Russia) you can buy fuel very different quality (lack of it). All the "extras" stay on the bottom so if you running low on fuel you car engine may lose power. Sometimes the tank has to be removed and cleaned up.

Guys we can not compare diesels to petrol engines on fuel consumption. I have choosen petrol as I drive about 12k/year and the return from a diesel would take about 15 years (fuel prices stay unchanged) as the fuel, service, parts and cars with diesel cost more. If you hevy driver however the diesel is for you. You can find calculators that include every aspect like fuel mpg, insurance, tax etc..etc.. and will tell you what is better option for you.

Ha ha... this sounds like a "lets brag about how great my diesel fuel economy is " topic.. so here goes.... 40 - 44 mpg, 450 - 500miles on full tank every two weeks !! average journey 10 - 15min each way to work in urban and extra urban traffic....

Ok mine is the 1.4 diesel but i may i point out its the MMT !!! yes a (not) Auto (Seq auto) car getting this, my Avensis petrol used to do 28mpg on the same journey, saving me i average about £60 to £70 a month in fuel...... £115 for a years tax too... it all adds up and im saving the planet !!

Ha ha... this sounds like a "lets brag about how great my diesel fuel economy is " topic.. so here goes.... 40 - 44 mpg, 450 - 500miles on full tank every two weeks !! average journey 10 - 15min each way to work in urban and extra urban traffic....

Ok mine is the 1.4 diesel but i may i point out its the MMT !!! yes a (not) Auto (Seq auto) car getting this, my Avensis petrol used to do 28mpg on the same journey, saving me i average about £60 to £70 a month in fuel...... £115 for a years tax too... it all adds up and im saving the planet !!

I have a 1.6TR and I am getting 38mpg at present. In the better weather it was 42 mpg. About the same as I was getting from a RAV4 with a 2.2 diesel engine.

I have the 1.6 T-Spirit, i get about 33.5mpg

OK. to save Ł60-70 on a fuel you would have to drive 1300 miles a month and you drive in a city (compared to your Avensis). I do about 9k miles a year so the saving compared to your diesel is Ł220 a year (mpg for 1.4 engine as per your post 44mpg and 34mpg my 1.6 petrol, unleded 1.01 and diesel 1.06-Shell prices). Tax is cheaper Ł40 but insurance for 2.0 diesel (1.4 diesel is not available with my trim) would cost me 35 more. TR with 2.0 diesel costs 1500 more so the return is 6 years but the diesel service is more expensive (ie. turbo replacement).

Which is greener it is really hard to say as COx emmision for diesel is lower but NOx is much higher...

If i paid as much attention to costs i'd go crazy :)

I never think too hard about them; i drive 15k a year and i bought the t180 because i wanted to. I got it at a v good price but it was still A LOT more than the petrol. Maybe i'll loose out a lot if i work it out but all i know is my spare income that goes into high interest savings is way way above what i loose on my car... as i paid for it outright. I dont spend my spare income on anything else so as long as i can save 20k in 3 years it doesnt bother me how much i loose.

I just buy something i like and the bonus is... cheaper tax, insurance and half the fuel bills on the compressor yet its still nice and quick and even more comfortable.

You are right, but all that mpg is about money spend at the pump- otherwise why bother to mesure it ;) Diesel engines are now like hot cakes mainly because the money saving. My point was that this saving sometimes can be lower that expected.

My/ My wife's other car is Golf GTI 2.0 liter charged petrol engine so the cost of fuel is not my concern either- sorry Planet Earth ;) I just can't imagine this car with diesel engine :lol:

The fuel is a bonus to me; money on the car you save is gone instantly - i dont care about that. Like you said the monthly costs matter and right now i love spending less on fuel each month. In a sad way its great to have an extra £20 or £30 a month even if you dont need it or it just goes on the morgage with the interest rates going up :rolleyes:

a nice bonus to me - like you GTI, great turbo charged petrol engine, does 330miles to a tank and 33mpg avg; similar to my old compressor and then you get a diesel and save £30 a month. Your right not a great saving when you take it all into account. Just how i am, that lump has gone and its nice to save a bit in ongoing costs :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links