Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 200402 Steering Wheel Control -> Sony

ststofi

I installed a new sony headunit in my toyota corolla 2004.02. and bought a PAC SWI-PS interface to work with my factory steering wheel control (stalk).

pac-swi.jpg

My original factory radio was 86120-1A180 (toyota 58807) front and from the connector side back

I made everything to work except stalk...

I identified the steering wheel control as panasonic 86230-13010 four-wire talking and the 3rd connector I pulled out from 58807 should include stalk wires but the connector not looks like described the pac-swi manual and I lost.

The plug I pulled out from factory radio looks like: connector_1.jpg and connector_2.jpg instead of the excepted pac-swips_toyota.jpg

I googled internet for pinout but this plug isn't included in any toyota manual/description.

Please let me know how to assembly these parts... I feel no luck identifying wires as PAC suggested.

The original application guide is quiet simple if you have this plug but I haven't.

TIA

ststofi

ok, the problem (as always) it's for a facelift, but you can try to connect the wires as they told you in the manual

i will try to give you the numbers and wire's

6 - red

7 - grey

8 - green

11 - black and white

15 - purple

17 - black and brown?

19 - red with purple and brown?

sorry i'm not sure how to describe the color of 17 & 19 :D

manual says 6,7, 8

6 and 8 are there, but i'm not sure what 7 should be at the prefacelift

i hope i could help you a little bit

Thank you for your quick response.

I'm a little confused because of you said in this post it is not possible to use pre-facelift steering wheel control as the rewired new one. And there are'nt any grey wire (7) not as red and green.

from memory, the red, grey and green wires are the steering wheel controls (on a facelift) but i believe it is the same on a pre-facelift. but i guess we'll find out.

red is ground

grey does seek+, seek-, vol+ and vol-

green is mode

if you have a multimter, put one terminal across the red wire, and the other across the green/grey. Press a steering wheel button and measure the resistance. when you've done that post back and i can give you some further info. i think the "mode" switch on the pre-facelift has its own ground.

the problem is, that prefacelift uses an other typ of signal than the facelift, that's why the facelift interfaces don't work with prefacelift, but your interface is completly programable so just give it a try.

I've done some measuring. Unfortunately the only thing I could figure out is a dc voltage rise between these pins:

connector-onoff.jpg

when I pressed on/off button dc voltage rose from 2.28V to 2.32V

I think factory radio should give controller a DC or something back to make work other buttons.

Could you give me any further hint?

• 5 months later...

Any luck with making this work?

I have the same headunit in a 2003 Corolla and I'd like to buy a new one, but I'd also like to keep my steering wheel control...

I had no luck. I put the PAC on the shelf and use sony headunit without steering wheel control.

I have the same headunit in a 2003 Corolla and I'd like to buy a new one, but I'd also like to keep my steering wheel control...

• 2 weeks later...

The plug that is shown on the pictures above is NOT for steering wheel control. This is the plug for fuel and temperature information for the OEM head unit.

I don't know which plug the steering wheel controls are connected to, but I'm certain that this is not the one...

Check this for reference:

connector_641.gif

• 2 months later...
I had no luck. I put the PAC on the shelf and use sony headunit without steering wheel control.

Is the PAC still on the shelf or have you got it working.

I have the same old hu as in your car and I also wanted to replace it with a better one ... so I bought PAC SWI-PS and a new hu (Pioneer)

My car is RAV4 2005 and I have the same connector as you + 2 more that I don't understand how to interface ... BUT not the one shown in PAC documentation.

I don't understand how PAC can claim that SWI-PS is compatible with RAV4 2005 when they are talking about connector that can't be found in the car ... or have I missed something.

I installed a new sony headunit in my toyota corolla 2004.02. and bought a PAC SWI-PS interface to work with my factory steering wheel control (stalk).

pac-swi.jpg

My original factory radio was 86120-1A180 (toyota 58807) front and from the connector side back

I made everything to work except stalk...

I identified the steering wheel control as panasonic 86230-13010 four-wire talking and the 3rd connector I pulled out from 58807 should include stalk wires but the connector not looks like described the pac-swi manual and I lost.

The plug I pulled out from factory radio looks like: connector_1.jpg and connector_2.jpg instead of the excepted pac-swips_toyota.jpg

I googled internet for pinout but this plug isn't included in any toyota manual/description.

Please let me know how to assembly these parts... I feel no luck identifying wires as PAC suggested.

The original application guide is quiet simple if you have this plug but I haven't.

TIA

ststofi

As I mentioned earlier (pls check below in this thread) I had also problems finding the 2 x 10 pin connector ... have the same radio as you.

I followed the cables inside the dashboard and discovered a small package of grey foam rubber wrapped with tape close to the main cables. This package (not easyly seen) when unwrapped contained two connectors ... one of them was the 2 x 10 pin with pin 6,7,8 hooked to wires. That was on my RAV4 2005 but I hope it is the same at your Corolla.

• 2 months later...

I've done som research on this, and I can tell you tat you've been checking the wrong pins... furthermore the steering wheel controls are transmitting serial commands through AVC-LAN... fortunately the AVC-LAN is similar to Pioneers IE-BUS, and the commands might be the same, so they might be compatible to each other. Don't know about Sony though...

See the schematics for correct pin numbers for the steering wheel controls:

2002NON-NAVI.png

Another way to work around this might be to disassemble the steering wheel controls, and bypass the AVC-LAN controller. This way you'll access the resistor network which I believe is present... but I might be wrong. I haven't done this myself yet.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links