Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Overide Sat Nav - T180

harleymlb

Does anyone have an idea how i can over ride the sensor for the Sat Nav. You cannot change to another destination whilst on the move. All seems a bit daft really, my previous Sat Nav on my Aventura Pick Up allowed full access.

Some might think its a safety feature to prevent the driver adjusting it, but why can't the passenger?

Does anyone have an idea how i can over ride the sensor for the Sat Nav. You cannot change to another destination whilst on the move. All seems a bit daft really, my previous Sat Nav on my Aventura Pick Up allowed full access.

Some might think its a safety feature to prevent the driver adjusting it, but why can't the passenger?

Hi and welcome to TOC.

This problem has arrisen before in a different guise. On that occassion it was operation of the bluetooth phone by the passenger that was the problem. One of our regular contributors, SYSW, who is an expert ( read "professional" ) in auto electronics came up with a work around that involves puting a switch in the speed sensor connection to the radio/cd/satnav unit. I've done this very unobtrusively with a switch that I bought from Maplin and it works fine. The only difficulty it causes is that the satnav looses a degree of accuracy when travelling through tunnels or areas where it has poor sattelite access. There is an article on the forum about bluetooth phones that shows the connection point etc. Any problems in finding it - just post again.

The info is here if you follow the link to this post.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94218

As Duncs says there, I understand they have changed it in software for later map disks, but I expect he may advise, if he sees this. If you want the hardware mod info, just follow the link in my last post, or use this:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...mp;#entry693234

The info is here if you follow the link to this post.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94218

As Duncs says there, I understand they have changed it in software for later map disks, but I expect he may advise, if he sees this. If you want the hardware mod info, just follow the link in my last post, or use this:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...mp;#entry693234

Ooooops! Abject apologies SCHM, I got the wrong author for the article on fitting the switch in the speed sensor circuit :!Removed!:

Ooooops! Abject apologies SCHM, I got the wrong author for the article on fitting the switch in the speed sensor circuit :shutit:

Chris, no worries, apology completely unnecessary, I take very little notice. :thumbsup:.

...and I wouldn't take credit for the speed signal switch idea, it has been all over the place, long before it was suggested here.

Mind you, I was unsure who SYSW was? :unsure: Can't find them in the member's list. I was wondering if you were trying to morph me with "sywy"? :lol: I don't think either of us would want that! :(

Then again, who is "schm"? :unsure: Easy finger trouble :yes: I've noticed it always seems more natural for most people to type "schm" rather than "shcm", (probably something to do with then nature of written english), but again, it bothers me not :thumbsup:..............don't know why I mentioned it really. I'm rambling (and off topic) as usual :yes:

Cheers :thumbsup:

Ooooops! Abject apologies SCHM, I got the wrong author for the article on fitting the switch in the speed sensor circuit :!Removed!:

Chris, no worries, apology completely unnecessary, I take very little notice. :thumbsup:.

...and I wouldn't take credit for the speed signal switch idea, it has been all over the place, long before it was suggested here.

Mind you, I was unsure who SYSW was? :unsure: Can't find them in the member's list. I was wondering if you were trying to morph me with "sywy"? :lol: I don't think either of us would want that! :(

Then again, who is "schm"? :unsure: Easy finger trouble :yes: I've noticed it always seems more natural for most people to type "schm" rather than "shcm", (probably something to do with then nature of written english), but again, it bothers me not :thumbsup:..............don't know why I mentioned it really. I'm rambling (and off topic) as usual :yes:

Thanks for you forebearance gents, I'm very reliant on a spell checker as my brain goes ( marginally ) faster than my fingers. Don't think the one on here is very sophisticated.

Funny story: Years ago when word processing first became available in our office ( mainframe system ), I used to email a guy called David. Very sound character, you could trust him to hold your wallet, but a little short in the sense of humour department. The spell checker always rejected his name and wanted to substitute "devoid"! More recently I have had correspondence with another guy whose surname is Gaulty. The MS Office spellchecker wants to call him "guilty". Do the programmers who write these have a competition to see who can get away with the most outrageous substitution?

Thanks for you forebearance gents, I'm very reliant on a spell checker as my brain goes ( marginally ) faster than my fingers. Don't think the one on here is very sophisticated.

Funny story: Years ago when word processing first became available in our office ( mainframe system ), I used to email a guy called David. Very sound character, you could trust him to hold your wallet, but a little short in the sense of humour department. The spell checker always rejected his name and wanted to substitute "devoid"! More recently I have had correspondence with another guy whose surname is Gaulty. The MS Office spellchecker wants to call him "guilty". Do the programmers who write these have a competition to see who can get away with the most outrageous substitution?

We had to be very careful with auto spell check when contacting one of our technicians called Angus!!!

We had to be very careful with auto spell check when contacting one of our technicians called Angus!!!

I ubikume that's the worst one yet? - OK I'll get my coat as well! ;)

I was wondering if you were trying to morph me with "sywy"? :lol: I don't think either of us would want that! :(

:eek:

Someone was trying to extract the relevent firmware updates from the new disk recently? Anyone know if he was successful?

EDIT: Looks like it was Raverboy. here. Any luck getting the files Raverboy?

I ubikume that's the worst one yet? - OK I'll get my coat as well! ;)

_42478587_fatherjack.jpg

Someone was trying to extract the relevent firmware updates from the new disk recently? Anyone know if he was successful?

EDIT: Looks like it was Raverboy. here. Any luck getting the files Raverboy?

There's a fair bit of info elsewhere on the web about people swapping the "loading.kwi" file on the DVDs, for use of copied disks.

loading.kwi would appear to be the firmware file for the unit.

If I've understood correctly, in summary:

The E11 firmware release (current release) would appear to allow the use of all (or most) functions on the move, but detects copied disks.

The E10 (previous release) firmware doesn't allow use of everything on the move, but doesn't have the "pirate" detection.

So, it would appear to get the latest maps for "free", it is common to copy the E10 firmware (loading.kwi), to a DVD along with the E11 (latest) map data. That gets around the copying of the latest maps, but you can't then use it on the move without at least a speed signal wire hack.

It would also appear that the Toyota unit firmware is lost when the permanent Battery supply is removed (not really "firmware" then is it?), which is possibly useful if you are mucking around swapping files from disk to disk, but not really sure what you are doing. Possibly reduces the chances of "bricking" the unit.

The "firmware" would appear to get reloaded when the unit is re-powered. That has certainly seemed to happened when I've had the unit disconnected.

I've often thought it would be nice to be able to add your own POIs to the disk (speed cameras and the like). The map format is an open standard and some reverse engineering has been done elsewhere. I've thought about having a go, but to be honest, at the moment I can think of other things I'd rather be doing. Possibly, some decompiling of software would also be involved and that is not my idea of fun. I'm sure somebody who does more software than me will figure it out eventually - if they haven't already.

shcm

Slightly off topic but nothing new for me!!!

Your fuel consumption seems to mimic the seasons which nicely illustrates the affects of the cold weather or do you think there is another reason?

shcm

Slightly off topic but nothing new for me!!!

Your fuel consumption seems to mimic the seasons which nicely illustrates the affects of the cold weather or do you think there is another reason?

No, I believe Y'am right and usage pattern is fairly consistent, apart from a few long distance trips.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links