Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4.1 Crunch

ravman666

HI

I got a 1996 4.1 with 84000 miles on the clock, and it seems to be a bit rough when changing gear from first to second, but when pulled across slowly its fine and also when its done some long journey seems to get better. Anyone have any ideas what it is. I have been told clutch and gearbox but surley not on somthing this low a mileage.

One of the 4.1 guys will be here shortly to tell you what is normal.

However, I can tel you the it is normal on 4.2s and 4.3s.

Oh and welcome to the club!!!

Suppose it depends what your used to - and it may be that the gearbox has been abused and the synchro slightly damaged. Have you tried changing the oil?

This gearbox is good for 350bhp+ - which is 3 times the power of your engine -

ie they are built very strong.

One of my 1994 RAVs is still on its original box having done 175,000 miles and pushing 350bhp+ thru the box. I use the car at 1/4 drag starts and the gear change is ok.

Its just had a service so i think it will have been checked and topped up. its weird as also when i not used car for a few hours when i first set off ther is like a clutch judder but from the back wheels but drive a few yards and its fine.

The RAV gearbox is a little notchy, it was not without it's problems, mainly jumping out of 5th gear. Being a little notch does not mean it is going to fail on you right away, as Bothy said, this gearbox can quite a beating!

Kingo :thumbsup:

At that mileage, I'd guess the clutch is worn, if it hasn't already been replaced. However, I'd keep running it til something worse happens..... like perhaps its the actual clutch rather than the plate. Then again, you'd probably get the notchyness in all gear changes. Sure its not the suspension bushes or diff mount starting to wear as these wear at around 80,000 miles. Ask whoever did the service if they changed the oil.

it does judder when i first set off at the rear, it sounds like someone banging under the boot floor, but one i have traveled a few yards it stops.

it does judder when i first set off at the rear, it sounds like someone banging under the boot floor, but one i have traveled a few yards it stops.

check the rear diff mounting - if its soft, it will allow the diff to rock causing a thump - if you start off more carefully you won't notice it too much.

Can be stiffened by using silicon filler stuff, or replace it if you feel rich. After that, try the rear suspension bushes.

check the rear diff mounting - if its soft, it will allow the diff to rock causing a thump - if you start off more carefully you won't notice it too much.

Can be stiffened by using silicon filler stuff, or replace it if you feel rich. After that, try the rear suspension bushes.

Bothy,

did you manage to get those polyurethane diff mounting bushes you were after? I had a ride in a ( avert your eyes everyone else ) LR 90 TD5 the other evening that had these bushes fitted to improve the handling. It was pushing out about 220BHP! The bushes came from a company in the south west. Can find out where if you need the info.

Bothy,

did you manage to get those polyurethane diff mounting bushes you were after? I had a ride in a ( avert your eyes everyone else ) LR 90 TD5 the other evening that had these bushes fitted to improve the handling. It was pushing out about 220BHP! The bushes came from a company in the south west. Can find out where if you need the info.

The USA company I ordered from never sent them and never responded to emails, and had their phone line disconnected. I got my money back from the credit card co. I think Energy Suspension in the USA have them, but it seems daft that they are not available here!Nothing lost by asking the folk down south.

Bushes are available for landrovers cos theres so many of them - not such a big call for RAV bushes here.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links