Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Spares

daveh_rav4

Hi...

I wish to purchase some brake parts (front discs and pads) for my 4.1 Rav4... rather than use a local Toyota supplier I though I would use 'Kingo' as he supports us on the TOC. As I have not used this facility before, could someone kindly give me the drop on how I contact him please so I can place an order?

I must admit I amazed that my MOT guy has suggested that I need a new pair of front discs so soon (57K)... he seems to think that you should replace them every time you replace the disc pads! If I brake hard (I seldom do as I don't drive aggressivly) I do get a very slight 'wobble' through the steering wheel... I assume the disc(s) has a small amount of run out or pad matarial build up. My previous car, a Ford XR2 did 130K on one set of discs!!! I know the Rav is a heavier vehicle, but I would have expected a set of discs to last longer than 57k! I know Bothy has messed around with high spec racing discs/pads... so any opinions on an alternative to genuine Toyota brake parts would be very welcome? Also a guide to prices would be useful (two fronts discs & set of pads)? As an ex mechanic (ok, thirty five years ago) I should be able to change them myself :)

Any advice is much appreciated....

DaveH

replacing brake discs has become a profitable way of garages making a quick buck.

The wear can be measured using a micrometer or such and the minimum thickness is normally cast into the inside of the bell.

If the brakes are pulsating, then yes, it may be that the pads have left some material on the disc. This can be removed through light skimming if the disc material is thick enough. the other thing to look at is corrosion on the disc.

The Toyota pads are as ancs argues, one of the best about so stick with them. The discs can be bought on places like eBay or after market suppliers at a fair saving. A disc is a disc pretty much, until you start playing with race kit.

If the pad material is transferring, give the calipers a good check to make sure they are not dragging/sticking on. A good clean is worth doing. I've found the problems happen when the caliper is sticking on.

Hi DaveH

I recently received genuine Toy pads at a discount from Kingo. First class service. A simple PM to him will sort you out. Don't forget your chassis/VIN no in the PM

Hi DaveH

I recently received genuine Toy pads at a discount from Kingo. First class service. A simple PM to him will sort you out. Don't forget your chassis/VIN no in the PM

I got pads for all round from my local motor factors. Can't think how much but not at all expensive.

I've done just over 80k and only had to change the pads once. AND I tow a caravan. I do have a slight wobble but haven't yet got round to checking the disks. Car is due a service though so will be done soon.

Thanks for all the replys guys. I have just placed an order with Kingo, I could have saved a few bob by buying non genuine spares locally but decided on the genuine Toyota spares in the end.

DaveH

Hi DaveH

I got pads for all round from my local motor factors. Can't think how much but not at all expensive.

I've done just over 80k and only had to change the pads once. AND I tow a caravan. I do have a slight wobble but haven't yet got round to checking the disks. Car is due a service though so will be done soon.

Thanks for all the replys guys. I have just placed an order with Kingo, I could have saved a few bob by buying non genuine spares locally but decided on the genuine Toyota spares in the end.

DaveH

Hi DaveH

Your Discs and pads are winging their way via DHL as we speak Dave :)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links