Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brakes Squeaks

mela

Hi

I've noticed that when I drive my Yaris and stop the brakes squeaks. What can it be? brakes or wheels??? The car has only 9 000 km. :unsure:

Could be:

Lack of use: rust on disks.. lots of short journeys.

Sticking caliper.

Brake pads need cooper grease on rear..

If you don't brake hard very often, the pads can glaze and squeal.. a few hard stops on an empty road MIGHT solve it.

Otherwise it's a stripdown job. imo.

It's common on loads of new cars, particularly Japanese ones. All to do with the material the pads are made with now that asbestos is outlawed. It's so hard you'll often hear a squeak on the final few revoultions as wheel comes to a stop.

Of course if you're worried then take it to a garage for an opinion but that's all it seems to be.

It's been said that WD 40 is the man for squeaks in brakes.......That may certainly be true but........

Anyway, it's been hotly debated and apparently it does not affect braking that much:http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hypermiling-ruined-my-brakes-toast-after-only-25k-9127.html

It's a bit of a read but there is interesting info to be had. Personally i'd try it....in a field...then on a road.

Having said all that, it's probably a lack of anti squeal compound or those shims they fit behing the pads. It's just a vibration that has to be stopped, just needs some thought.

It's been said that WD 40 is the man for squeaks in brakes.......That may certainly be true but........

Anyway, it's been hotly debated and apparently it does not affect braking that much:http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hypermiling-ruined-my-brakes-toast-after-only-25k-9127.html

It's a bit of a read but there is interesting info to be had. Personally i'd try it....in a field...then on a road.

Having said all that, it's probably a lack of anti squeal compound or those shims they fit behing the pads. It's just a vibration that has to be stopped, just needs some thought.

WD40 on brakes?? :o

I wouldn't put wd40 anywhere near my brakes!!

As said before, copper grease is the stuff to use i apply mine all over the rear of the pad with an old small paintbrush.

You could also rub the disc with some fine wet & dry paper and de-greaser to get any contaminats off, leaving it silky smooth and perfectly clean.

Rub the pad faces aswell, i've done this for years on various cars & bikes and never had any squeel,squeek or complain from the brakes. ;)

My brakes squeel like anything, have done since day one. Been into toyota twice and they say there's nothing they can do.

My brakes squeel like anything, have done since day one. Been into toyota twice and they say there's nothing they can do.

Do as i do and take the wheels off, give everything a proper clean ect...

Doing this yourself means your not pushed for time like a dealer technician would be, so you can have a good fiddle about :D

• 2 weeks later...

yes and it also means that someone who dosnt know what they are doing is working on the car. the brake pads tend to have a anti squeal shim on the outer backs, this tends to either rust or seperate from the pads causing a vibration (squealing). also the brake discs could be glazed along with the pads ( 2 shiny surfaces contacting) again causing squealing, i would advise a tchnique called a disc skim which takes the top surface off the disc ( like new) and ask for pads to be de-glazed that should sort the problem out.

Hi, When you say you've been to toyota twice have they done anything? Have you tried any troubleshooting yourself? Is it the front or back brakes?

• 1 month later...
the brake pads tend to have a anti squeal shim on the outer backs, this tends to either rust or seperate from the pads causing a vibration (squealing).

Also my experience with my brakes... New squeal shims often solves the problem.... :)

WD-40 on brakes is stupid!!! I've never heard anything like it before... Jeeeeesus!

I had this problem with my Yaris, I mentioned it when I had my last MOT, and the mechanic tightened the brakes up slightly, which hasn't got rid of the squeak totally (it only seemed to happen when the speed was 20mph or less) but it's a lot less noticeable. He did explain that it can be just how the pads are made, & some squeak more than others. Originally I wasn't sure if the pads were waring but there was plenty of thickness left on them.

Brake squeal is relatively easy to fix: dissassemble everything, clean copperease as appropriate and reassemble properly.

It takes about 20-69 minutes per side..(Really bad ones on some cars take an hour to strip due to rusts- see Saxos).

Talk of WD40 is by ignorant and stupid people who should not be allowed anywhere near a set of brakes: get brakes wrong and you can kill or injure yourself - or worse - others.

I suspect dealers with busy and short staffed service departments are reluctant to do anything as the job can be a pia due to rust, and squealing brakes are often 100% safe.

I as a DIY owner with several decades of experience has never suffered from squealing brakes as they are easy to fix: given time.

Of course, some cars may have been mis-serviced and anti squeal bits lost! Or wrongly assembled..

(Son had a Peugeot 106 where the retaining springs were assembled incorrectly and then rusted and broke... Surprisingly enough the brakes were good enough to pass an MOT.)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links