Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Ok Or Not?

Notebook

Hi

Just about to get new tyres, mot up this week also, just wondered if this tyre is a fail or not - still getting new ones, but have always wondered whats correct etc.

tracking off also by the looks of things ..... the other tyre on the front is fine in its wear, but has lots more tread on it as one was replaced mid way through the life of the other due to a puncture by the previouse owner.

post-51679-1250950651_thumb.jpg

post-51679-1250950700_thumb.jpg

post-51679-1250950717_thumb.jpg

post-51679-1250950736_thumb.jpg

hi notebook

looks to me as though section i have 'drawn around' is pretty bald,if rest of tyre is like this all way round,i reckon it needs a new one.

i never allow mine to get as bad as this,but i do take mine off road....so need the grip.

rambler

post-70926-1250952543_thumb.jpg

hi notebook

looks to me as though section i have 'drawn around' is pretty bald,if rest of tyre is like this all way round,i reckon it needs a new one.

i never allow mine to get as bad as this,but i do take mine off road....so need the grip.

rambler

]

Nice doodling - such a word?

Thanks

this is what i have fitted on mine

geolandar-at-s.jpg

very quiet on roads, much better off road

this is what i have fitted on mine

geolandar-at-s.jpg

very quiet on roads, much better off road

As the other front tyre is ok, I will put that as the spare, and buy a new tyre to go with the new existing spare to go on the front. Its a toyo a11.

Reading reviews, not my choice, but saves buying 2 tyres.... So not much choise really

this is what i am considering next time

geolandar-mt.jpg

if i still have rav in about 2 years time,these will allow much more fun :D :D :D

rambler

1.6mm minimum over 75% of the tread, the remaining 25% must have visible tread.

Even if your tyre is within the legal limit, I would suggest a new tyre anyway as it looks like it won't have long to go.

Even if your tyre is within the legal limit, I would suggest a new tyre anyway as it looks like it won't have long to go.

Thanks

this is what i am considering next time

geolandar-mt.jpg

if i still have rav in about 2 years time,these will allow much more fun :D :D :D

rambler

Where do I get me some of those??? And how much are they???

Those tyres definatly need changing, you will find also with a tread that low you will start picking up a lot more puntures, I know from experience, It was cheaper to buy new tyres then to keep getting punture`s fixed, wheel re-balanced and new valve fitted every time I ran over a small stone. ;)

As pointed out earlierthe legal limit is 1.6 over 75% of the tyre (from the center)

In my experience, below 3 mm, you start getting serious aquaplaning.

The tyre is safe at the limit but best using it in dry weather.

From your pics it looks you have alignment problems (most probable toe in).

My 4.2 came with Toyo A14's & I can't praise them enough. After trying a couple of other brands, I've gone back to them as they work best on this car.

They are probably just legal but i'm glad you said you are changing them.

I was a passenger in a hire car recently that was supplied with 2 rear tyres that were like this, slightly worse actually as there was practically no tread on the outer edges but it hadn't met the spacing block yet.

Resulting in a 70mph crash on the M6 toll road where the car was written off. Luckily as it was the toll nothing else was involved and we ended up off the caridgeway after doing 5 full spins. The wheel was ripped off and the back end was gone but it was purely because the tyres were so close to being illegal, not too dissimilar to yours and it had just rained.

The car was going practically straight when the rear end just went left, into a flat spin, absolutely nothing you could do. The factors were speed, water and the catalyst was the truely terrible tyres supplied on this hire car. Yes the driver should have checked, but he didn't. If the tyres had more tread, it wouldn't have happened so the crash factors play off each other.

I can't emphasize how important it is to have very good tyres on the rear to clear the water to maintain full contact with the road. At speed and in the rain, on the limit tyres can mean life or death. I knew this before so i find it very surreal to be in a high speed crash from that very thing. I cringe when i see that people like to put their partially worn fronts on the rear / swap to get more life out of them.

wrong,1.6mm over central 3/4 of the tyre,the rest can be bald,nowhere in the MOT manual does it state the rest has to have visible tread,all a tyre needs is 1.6mm over the central 3/4 of the tyre.I agree the tyre needs changing but it would pass an MOT as it is and would/should get an advisory stating "close to the legal limit"

OldSko. Very sorry to hear abou your misfortune but glad you came out in one piece despite the 5 spins to tell the tales.

On a general note, I would like to add few comments about tyre condition.

The legal limit is there to provide a cut off point for the law. As I mentioned, below 3mm the wet weather performance is compromised.

A tyre that is near or on the limit is not unsafe; what determines this is the driver.

A good & safe driver should be aware of the condition of the vehicle & the road & ADAPT to it.

In fact the dry grip & handling improves with less tread depth.

By the time you get your licence you should know all about tyre tread depth & road conditions & the affect they have on the safety of the vehicles.

Swapping front & back tyres is a common task specially on 4x4. I have done it for over 30 years.

In my view a good driver ought to be capable of a reasonable car control. This unfortunately is a disappearing essential skill.

All true but there is some evidence that you should have good tyres on the rear;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5YsQ_a_ijA

No serious bends on the M40 though!

Exactly what happened to me as a passenger in a hire car - but at 70mph not 30mph and on the m6 toll.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links