Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Well I Bought One!

jaybeerex

Well i purchased myself an 04 plate facelift t-sport and quite frankly i am in luuuurve!

I'm made up with the car, going from a selespeed alfa romeo 147 which as aesthetically pleasing as it was, just wasn't an involved driving experience, to this, is quite simply staggering. It's an 04 plate with 28k on the clock and i paid a lot more than my initial budget but either way i'm happy!!!

I of course have a few questions though that hopefully others can assist with.

1. i appear to have parking sensors on the rear bumper which i assume is why the car beeps in reverse, however no matter how close i get to things the beeps remain constant so i assume they aren't working?

2. In first gear on set off it seems to have a high pitched whirring noise now this is very similar to a friends swift sport that has a very short cut first gear and the sound is a characteristic of that, do other owners experience this? failing that it sounds like a possible clutch release bearing....

3. Before JAE it's having tracking and 4 wheel laser alignment done, along with a full service, gear box oil, engine oil, filters and plugs/ leads etc. Where doe's everybody source their parts from? and any specific engine and g/box oil recommendations?

thanks everyone!!!

Very happy T-sport owner!!!!

Well i purchased myself an 04 plate facelift t-sport and quite frankly i am in luuuurve!

I'm made up with the car, going from a selespeed alfa romeo 147 which as aesthetically pleasing as it was, just wasn't an involved driving experience, to this, is quite simply staggering. It's an 04 plate with 28k on the clock and i paid a lot more than my initial budget but either way i'm happy!!!

1. i appear to have parking sensors on the rear bumper which i assume is why the car beeps in reverse, however no matter how close i get to things the beeps remain constant so i assume they aren't working?

2. In first gear on set off it seems to have a high pitched whirring noise now this is very similar to a friends swift sport that has a very short cut first gear and the sound is a characteristic of that, do other owners experience this? failing that it sounds like a possible clutch release bearing....

3. Before JAE it's having tracking and 4 wheel laser alignment done, along with a full service, gear box oil, engine oil, filters and plugs/ leads etc. Where doe's everybody source their parts from? and any specific engine and g/box oil recommendations?

thanks everyone!!!

the beeping is so that you know its in reverse, 1st and reverse are far to close as its a close ratio gearbox,

i find toyota are reasonable for service parts, or ANDREW PAGE or FENSPORT for some higher rated parts!!

cant help bought the noise though,

You can get parts from a few places;

Europerformance

Very good people who are very helpful and phone to check orders.

FENSPORT

Some good parts with high quality but cannot order online. Has to be done either by phone or e-mail as opposed to the site.

Eurocarparts

They provide replacement parts at very low prices, so ideal if you are doing a service yourself.

Hope this helps and have fun with your new car!

thanks everyone!!!

the beeping is so that you know its in reverse, 1st and reverse are far to close as its a close ratio gearbox,

i find toyota are reasonable for service parts, or ANDREW PAGE or FENSPORT for some higher rated parts!!

cant help bought the noise though,

lol..... 'close ratio' ? errrrrrrrm no..... being a close ratio and having a close gate pattern are totally totally different.

Close Ratio means the gearing itself is closer together allowing the engine to be kept in a very small powerband. Were talking Rally cars, Touring cars, Race cars etc.

The CTS has a very close gate. This is why it beeps when its in reverse. Its essentially to top you launching it into the front of what ever is behind you at a set of lights, parking and generally not going backwards unexpectedly.

Plugs and leads?! hmmm plugs maybe... good luck with the leads. lol. Also the recommended is 60k ish for plugs.

Oil is a mixed bag, some people use Toyota semi synth which is adequate, some people use fully synth Mobil 1.

Never had a whine from 1st gear. Reverse yes as its essentially straight cut compared to the forward gears. Are you talking a whine under load or on the over run?

the whine is under load up to around 3k, i'm aware of how close the gate is, and the beeping im aware happens on all t-sports in reverse, but wondered if anyone else has parking sensors on the rear bumper and could shed light on how they are activated etc?

I'm keen to give it as complete a service as possible, call it overkill but you never know how well a previous owner has looked after their car, and i like to start as i mean to go on!

Brother in law's CTS has rear park you get double beeping :lol: You cant miss the sensors they are horrible little round things cut into to the bumper.

I'm thinking there must be a sensor module etc, that's damaged resulting in the lack of double beeps....

try cleaning the earth around the sensors think it was in around the rear left light somewhere, as when i got mine the sensors didn't work and when i took it back that's what they did. touch wood its still working fine.

cheers fella i'll check it out.

On another note does everyones factory stereo cd player refuse to play copied cd's? mine just makes the whirring noise and spits them out after about 7 seconds.

We do not condone copying cd's on here :angry:

But mine plays them fine :lol:

Try using a lens cleaner... mine started spitting them out a while back ;)

Well that's ok then.... as so are mine :thumbsup:

Just ordered all my servicing parts for giving it a pampering this weekend!

Denso iridium's, 5w30 magnetec, oil filter, air filter, pollen filters, coolant came to around 90quid including VAT, not too bad for a full service when i'm doing all the labour myself.

Paintless dent removal bloke is out this afternoon, after 4 wheel laser alignment is done, and then in the valeters in the morning for a full interior shampoo vac and steam clean followed by full exterior buffing and engine steam clean, it'll be like a new car!

The previous owner was a smoker but my valeter has what is basically a smoke machine you see at concerts etc, but you fill it with a special oil and seal all the air vents on the outside of the car and it basically fills the entire car with fragranced smoke that gets behind the dashboard and everywere and will take away all the stale smokey smell and make it fresh as a daisy, cant wait!

If it was the clutch release bearing, you'd probably notice the noise when you were in neutral with the clutch out and when putting the clutch in - it would go away or be significantly quieter.

TS's do have noisey transmissions though, some nice thick gear box oil might help you out with that one.

But grats on the purchase! :) i'm very jealous of you faceliftee's.

well it needs a front left wheel bearing and rear axle bush to correct it pulling slightly to the left so its having a full box oil change at the same time, so i'll update back and finally take some piccies once its valeted up!

Well my progress so far is that all my servicing is done along with an ECU reset, so iridiums, air filter, MAF clean, resonator removal, 5w-30 magnetec and oil filter, strangely enough it now idles at 1200-1500 rpm until warms up which it didnt before so thats quite strange, once warm it sits happily at 900 as you'd expect.

But regardless i had a full interior shampoo and valet so its lovely and fresh inside again, im not in the garage for the box oil, wheel bearing and rear axle bush until thursday, and i needed to replace a few tyres on the original wheels, soooooooooo i used it as an excuse for some new wheels!!!

I wanted to stick with the original 16inch wheels so as not to compromise ride and handling too much, so i went for some nice lightweight oz superleggeras with toyo t1-r's picked them up on the bay for £300 which in my eyes is a bargain! they need a refurb mind but i have access to a bodyshop a friend owns and i used to work in so i'll be refurbing and repainting these probably the thursday before JAE, any thoughts on colours?

im leaning towards a lovely tin of te-37 bronze we have sat in the mixing room... :)

If you have found some OZ Superleggeras that fit for £300 well done, even if they do need a refurb :thumbsup: I think they really suit the CTS.

engine oil = Mobil 1, don't bother with anything else

gearbox oil = mobilube, Castrol TAF-X or Motul Techsynthese

plugs, you will have to get NGK or Denso. they are Iridium so a clean may be sufficient. If you've just bought your car make sure you change the pollen filter! its not part of a service and it gets clogged full of junk.

i've already done the engine oil, went for maufacturer recommendation of 5w-30 but got magnetec, already got replacement denso iridiums, didnt really need it so saved the old plugs, i have the pollen filter, but havent changed it yet, is there a guide for doing this? not sure of the location.

pollen filter is dead easy. just open the glovebox, remove the screw on the doorside and pull the glovebox out. pollen filter is behind and it will be mucky. give it a good hoover when you do it.

Whenever I've used anything other than Mobil, the cold temperature performance is not as good. You'll notice this especially in winter, if your car is parked outside.

have a look on here i posted a step by step guide on how to change the pollen filter on here for someone else, after in had done my own, if you don't want to look for the guide the filter is behind the glove box.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links