Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 D-4d T4 Bumpy Ride

Terry_r

Hi all,

I'm a new Toyota owner of 1 month having taken the plunge and buying family car! After a test drive I chose a 2nd hand 55 plate, 2.2 D-4D T4, 27k miles on the clock. All looked good to me. And I'm impressed with it so far however my wife is nagging me about the bumpy ride. I've searched around the forums and seen a few mentions of a firm ride, and the fact the ride may have been improved on the 2006 models onwards. :unsure:

Has anyone else experienced this bumpy ride? To me I do notice all the bumps in the local roads, but thought this was normal and I find motorway driving smooth. But as my wife sits in the back with my son she seems to notice all the bumps more so much so I've started to do some research. :eek:

Can I do anything. I've heard changing the tyre pressure could help. Do I increase it or decrease? More in the back or front? Or do I take it too the dealer after sales and ask for an opinion? :help:

Any help would be great.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Does the T4 have the 16" or 17" wheels??

If you have the 17" wheels, they will be fitted with a lower profile tyre to keep the rolling radius the same, my advice would be to buy a set of T3-S 16" wheels which have a larger profile tyre, making the ride smoother and more comfortable. the 17" wheels will be worth more money so you could have money in your pocket.

I would advise against altering the pressure in your tyres from the manufacturers recommendation, as this can lead to irregular and premature tyre wear, affect the road holding and in extreme circumstances, could cause a blowout!!! :-(

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I will check later on the size of the wheels. Maybe this could be an option.

Cheers

Hi Terry,

Does the T4 have the 16" or 17" wheels??

If you have the 17" wheels, they will be fitted with a lower profile tyre to keep the rolling radius the same, my advice would be to buy a set of T3-S 16" wheels which have a larger profile tyre, making the ride smoother and more comfortable. the 17" wheels will be worth more money so you could have money in your pocket.

I would advise against altering the pressure in your tyres from the manufacturers recommendation, as this can lead to irregular and premature tyre wear, affect the road holding and in extreme circumstances, could cause a blowout!!! :-(

I can confirm that. My 2005 was very rough over the bumps but when I got T3X wheels fitted it made a massive difference.

The 2007 car rides fine on 17" wheels though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links