Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Scrubbing Noise And High Speed Wobble

jas-E

Hey everyone,

Everytime i brake there is a scrubbing sound that comes from the front right of the car, which i can feel while pressing the brake pedal aswell. Its not there when driving the car from cold, but as everything heats up it tends to get louder and louder. My first guess was that its the brake pads, but i just checked those and they look brand new! The brake discs look a tad worn, but no where near the limit. Just have a very small lip on the edge, but when i feel across the braking surface with my finger i can feel ripples on it (hope that makes sense!) The next thing im thinking is that the brake discs are warped! Just need to know is there anything else in the system that could cause the scrubbing sound?

I also have a wobble in the steering when it gets to about 70mph. Im due new tyres and think that it might be the wheel balancing, but all the weights from when it was last balanced are still on so wondering why it would start wobbling all of a sudden! Just wondering whether the two might be related at all.

Thanks

Jas

Check those discs for run out. If it is bad it will be visible with the naked eye as you can eyeball the disc as it comes through the pads or caliper (be sure to run some wheel nuts up as the disc is free to float with the wheel off).

If it is running out and the there is a distinct "on-off" of the brake, this will transfer to the tyre in terms of wear and you will have your wheel wobble. It's a case of going through it bit by bit to see what you can find. The instructions are pinned at the top of the page.

Good luck

you have to correct the discs, if we were to repeat the phenomenon you have to change discs.

The brakes are sensitive, the Rav and discs are not good, when they are ready from the factory put the Brembo

Hello, I had the same thing. Took it to the nearest Toyota garage (we were on holiday when it got really bad) and they said the discs would be replaced under warranty but when we took it in a few days later it turned out that no replacement discs were available from Toyota so they skimmed the 'old' ones instead and that stopped the wobbling, but you can see quite clearly that the discs and/or pads are made from rather a poor grade of material because the discs are not shiny and clean but dull with some sort of gunge - presumably deposits from the pads.

It was good of the garage to help us out at very short notice but now of course I am simply waiting for the discs to warp again. I have looked around for aftermarket discs and pads but been unable to find any.

Apec do them Maria;

http://www.apec-braking.co.uk/search.php?cat=friction

Normally I would advise that the Toyota material is the best and usually that is the case. However, there have been a number of cases of brake judder and a more abrasive material might help with the cleaning/truing of the disc.

Apec do them Maria;

Normally I would advise that the Toyota material is the best and usually that is the case. However, there have been a number of cases of brake judder and a more abrasive material might help with the cleaning/truing of the disc.

Thanks for your replies. I got my wheels balanced and it has improved slightly but the wobble is definitely there at about 70mph. So guess the next thing to change is the discs. Hey Anchorman, and ideas how much the discs cost from Apec Braking?

Cheers

Jas

Apec do them Maria;

Thanks for your replies. I got my wheels balanced and it has improved slightly but the wobble is definitely there at about 70mph. So guess the next thing to change is the discs. Hey Anchorman, and ideas how much the discs cost from Apec Braking?

Cheers

Jas

Well I use a local motor factor and he charges me £21.71 + VAT.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links