Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Egr Valve

janus

Hi,

I have a 2003 d4d avensis with 32,000 miles on it. Engine management light appeared on dash board. Had it checked out by independant garage and was informed that the EGR valve needs replacing. Contacted local toyota dealership and was told that the part was over £200 just to buy. Can anyone tell me what the valve actualy does? Also having problems with my heater in that it takes an age to heat up. Has the valve got anything to do with this?

Hi,

I have a 2003 d4d avensis with 32,000 miles on it. Engine management light appeared on dash board. Had it checked out by independant garage and was informed that the EGR valve needs replacing. Contacted local toyota dealership and was told that the part was over £200 just to buy. Can anyone tell me what the valve actualy does? Also having problems with my heater in that it takes an age to heat up. Has the valve got anything to do with this?

hello Janus

the EGR vallve is responsible for emission amount and directs gases either to combustion chamber thru intake maniforl or directly to cat and then to an exhaust. Normally it might be serviced and cleaned from carbon deposits inside. Cheers/Igor

To janus,

As igormus points out, EGR valve redirects exhaust gases back through the combustion cycle to help lower emissions. The valve is electronically controlled via singles from your ECM (Engine Control Module) in many cases valve will require a good clean to remove carbon deposits & should work perfectly after that. You may well have electronic problem that would require you to have valve renewed, but i would return too your independent garage to have valve cleaned first just to see if this helps with running of car. All or most D4D engines take quite a while to fully warm up 15/20 minutes in some cases, nothing to worry about. Do keep an eye on your engine coolant level via your exspansion tank when engine is cold.

Regards, Beagh.

To janus,

As igormus points out, EGR valve redirects exhaust gases back through the combustion cycle to help lower emissions. The valve is electronically controlled via singles from your ECM (Engine Control Module) in many cases valve will require a good clean to remove carbon deposits & should work perfectly after that. You may well have electronic problem that would require you to have valve renewed, but i would return too your independent garage to have valve cleaned first just to see if this helps with running of car. All or most D4D engines take quite a while to fully warm up 15/20 minutes in some cases, nothing to worry about. Do keep an eye on your engine coolant level via your exspansion tank when engine is cold.

Regards, Beagh.

addedon that note

the 2003 avensis egr valve came with

and electronic part and a mechanical valve.

itdepends what part of the valve has failed

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links