Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

97-petrol-manual Transfer Box Level -fill Plug?

tony.h57

Hello. This is probably an old chestnut but I have trawled thru old posts and cannot find a definite answer so.

I have a 1997 petrol / manual rav4.. And want to change oil throughout the transmission. As I see it the gearbox and transfer box each have their own drain plug.. But share the fill and level plug is this correct??? Or am I going mad, as I can’t locate plug to fill transfer box

:thumbsup:

I should know this!!

But I don't!

TBH I leave the crawling around cars to the guys at the garage now - too old and stiff - me not the car! Have a look on rav4world which may have the info.

Good news is that your gearbox and transfer box = drivetrain is pretty bomb proof.

I had number 1 RAV up at the 1/4 mile drag strip, running approaching 400bhp with the standard gearbox and transmission (the clutch is a competition up-rated clutch) and all stood up well. Thats compared to the RAV4 mk 4.1 engine output of 127bhp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those that drop in, my time was 13.6 secs for the quarter; a terminal speed of 100.2mph and a 0-60' launch time of 1.9secs. My main problem is eye/hand co-ordination when changing gear from 1st to 2nd.

Hello. This is probably an old chestnut but I have trawled thru old posts and cannot find a definite answer so.

I have a 1997 petrol / manual rav4.. And want to change oil throughout the transmission. As I see it the gearbox and transfer box each have their own drain plug.. But share the fill and level plug is this correct??? Or am I going mad, as I can’t locate plug to fill transfer box

no no no no no the gear box uses diff oil from the transfer box if you look up the back of the diff you will see the fill plug bugger to get to though.

good luck.if i see one on the ramp tomorrow i'll take a pic for you(i'm a tec for toyota)

no no no no no the gear box uses diff oil from the transfer box if you look up the back of the diff you will see the fill plug bugger to get to though.

good luck.if i see one on the ramp tomorrow i'll take a pic for you(i'm a tec for toyota)

a photo would be good.. i have had the car jacked up with front wheels off .. and crawled about for over a hour . as i say i can see 2 drain plugs but only a level plug for gear box.

hi

im sorry to correct you but that photo is from a rav 4.2 (2001-2005). the question was on about a 1997 which is a rav4.1 (1994-2001) these share the transfer case fluid from the gearbox on the manual cars but have seperate on the automatics.

i think its 75/90 fluid from the top of my head but check first

hi

im sorry to correct you but that photo is from a rav 4.2 (2001-2005). the question was on about a 1997 which is a rav4.1 (1994-2001) these share the transfer case fluid from the gearbox on the manual cars but have seperate on the automatics.

i think its 75/90 fluid from the top of my head but check first

thanx for that. that would make sense.. must be 100%.. dont want to drain the transfer box gearbox. only to find i can only only refill gearbox.. that would be a nightmare..

If i remember rightly, if you look down onto the top of the transfer box through the gaps in the inlet manifold tubing, you can see i plug. Not sure if thats a filler plug for the fluid?

Let me know if that makes sense and you can see what i'm talking about.

I've just serviced my son's 1996 petrol manual rav4 and came across the same problem. My 2004 rav has separate level plugs for the gearbox and transfer box.

To satisfy my self that the mark 1's are linked I first removed both drain plugs ,drained the oil and then refitted the gearbox plug. After replacing about 2 litres of oil it began to flow from the transfer box drainplug which I then replaced.The filler on the gearbox took a total of 5 litres before overflowing which is the capacity of gearbox and transfer box together.

Hope that helps, John.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links