Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2.2 D4d Overheating

Jaap57

Thanks pete. :)

It sounds like your dealer and whoever you spoke to at toyota gb was a bit off the mark. If this wasn't the case then why would so many have been replaced f.o.c. when labour is £77.50 out of warranty? It's a small fortune for the work they have to do. My dealer specified at least 18 hours for the work plus parts which included near on 6 litres of oil and a new oil filter along with a new head gasket and cylinder head... why would they do that if it was a one off problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Got my car back last week after the head gasket replacement.

However, had to pay for a waterpump and thermostat as well as the used liquids.

No problem to pay for the liquids because they were due anyway but have big question marks about the waterpump and thermostat.

I will not pay the bill until clarified by Toyota France. :angry:

....had to pay for a waterpump and thermostat as well as the used liquids. :angry:

A bit off topic, but:

These things seem to become common practice in France. :(

Specially with foreigners in distress.

I had an overheating problem with a Peugeot last summer.

Not with the engine, but inside the cabin because the airco stopped working at the beginning of my holiday.

I was quoted an astonishing € 3450 :censor: to replace the water pump, timing belt, airco compressor, condensor, drier, high pressure pipes, etc.

Because I don't like to be ripped off, a second opinion at "Roady's", the French Kwik Fit equivalent, revealed a leaking airco pipe, estimated by them at approx. €40 - 50 plus an airco refill of €77.

But because Peugeot refused to deliver the part to Roady's within the duration of my (long) holiday, my airco is still not working today.

BTW, my Peugeot is 11 years old and runs fine otherwise. :wacko:

I filed an official complaint with Peugeot, but actually I was so fed up with them that I ordered a brand new Avensis, to be delivered in Januari next year.

That will teach them. B)

I didn't have to pay for any liquids, and it was near on 6 litres of oil and a full tank of coolant. The dealership also gave me 5 litres of the coolant to use until they could get me booked in for the work to be carried out. My oil had been changed around 3000 miles before this happened but was still changed again along with a brand new oil filter.

Funny how 'Toyota' differs from country to country.

You got me VERY worried! I have a 2.2 T-Spirit 07 and have about 55k :o . Had no problem so far, and the car is going fine. I am doing quite a high milage, so will not take long to get there. I have currently a service plan with MrT, so the car is serviced by them (good deal when I bought the car). I thought of going to a good local garage after the plan will finish, but I am worried now that if I will do that they will not fix this when the time comes. I will have to think hard before doing that!

Also, it is quite disappointing to hear that, as I got the car because of reliability... and now that. Add the EGR valve spoken about in the forum, and I am not so sure it was a good buy. Are here any good reliabe cars around, or do I have to buy a new car every time I am running out of warenty.

What I am sure I am doing, is printing all the above, just in case...

Twot

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my 2.2 avensis has failed twice. A bulletin from Toyota says that the blocks are also prone to warping, so toyota say that if this is the case, the car may need a new entire engine.

Just going to add to the long list of replies...

Just got mine into RRG in macclesfield. Overheating on motorway. . . hmmmm so RAC came out looked at it, took it straight to dealer who LO AND BEHOLD within 45mins rang back and said Head gasket. Need it for a week..... ouch.

Is this the first T180 fail on here? 55K miles 57 plate (Nov) and yep i am a high mileage motorway muncher but I wouldnt say I drive it hard. I mean it IS a 180hp so it "should" cope with a bit of GO pedal right?

and for that matter it lives on the M6 now at an average camera safe 50mph (blooming roadworks!) so there is no hard driving going on there!!

Somewhat luckier for me its a company car and I aint paying for it (directly!). Sure I would be a mite more cross if I was! - although sounds like a common ish issue. hohum. Is there a modified gasket / improvement now?

Cant fault service from RRG so far. Is there anyone who had it done who can point a few things out and suggest stuff for me to check / keep an eye on when its done?

help much appreciated!

Cheerio!

Is there a modified gasket / improvement now?

Yep there is an improved head gasket, but as I've now had two of these, I don't trust them either.

Yes I do do high mileage, 175,000 on a 55 plate, but arn't these types of car supposed to take it.

I've had four gasket changes so far, all I get from TGB is 20% off :angry:

Hi all,

new to the toyota club living in ireland, i bought a t180 07 model in the uk in feb all going well until 3 weeks ago when i noticed the fan coming on and the loss of water, carried into toyota dealer here and was told the head gasket was gone. no warrenty as they say the milage was too high has 89,000 miles on it now. think i might chance my arm with TGB as TIRE wont take it as i didnt buy it here.

garage fixed it but now the engine management light is on, the detail is that the sensor for the 5th injector is gone, toyota are looking for €836 + vat for a new one. Does anyone know where i can get it cheaper. the garage tell me that the 5th injector is working correctly is just the sensor isnt.

not sure how to proceed

any comments appreciated

Reading all this 'Head Gasket' make me fill I am sitting on a time bomb :blowup:

What I was wandering, if anyone knows, if ALL 2.2 engins have the problem, or is there someone out there that managed to run the car to a high milage without this problem. I am asking that because most people will come to the forum if they have a problem which might distort the real picture.

Twot

57.5 and counting... :fear:

• 2 months later...

Same here can someone advise what models year exactly is this happening to? I was going to upgrade my 2.0d-4d to a 2.2 150bhp about an 2006 but am scared now because who has that sort of money to blow on cars if Mr T wont cover it also its not a nice feeling sat in something that your waiting to go wrong!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links