Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2.2 D4d Overheating

Jaap57

Driving the highway I noticed high water temperatures ranging from just below mid dial till max dial.

At lower speeds the temperature dropped to normal values.

Checking with the dealer I was told that the whole engine had to be removed from the car due to a known problem with the head gasket.

Does anybody heard or experienced this as well?

Toyota does cover the cost under warranty 9Car is from mid 2006 and has 96.000 km on the clock.

Jaap

Driving the highway I noticed high water temperatures ranging from just below mid dial till max dial.

At lower speeds the temperature dropped to normal values.

Checking with the dealer I was told that the whole engine had to be removed from the car due to a known problem with the head gasket.

Does anybody heard or experienced this as well?

Toyota does cover the cost under warranty 9Car is from mid 2006 and has 96.000 km on the clock.

Jaap

my parents uk registered 2.2 diesel 2005 just had a warped head and cracked head gasket replaced, looking like its getting to be a common problem...There are other posters on this message board that have had similar things around the 80k miles

You guys have got me worried as i havent had any problems with my car but it has done 73,000 miles.

Hi guys. I have the same problem. My car has 63,200 miles on the clock and is overheating and using more water and coolant than the water board. I took it to Toyota last Friday and the earliest they can get it in is next Monday. They gave me 5 litres of coolant to keep topping it up and told me to try and keep extra mileage to a minimum, but to be fair it has been doing it for a few months now. I tow a caravan with it also which hasn't helped. lol. They said they're going to keep the car for a week, strip it down, send it off to Toyota and evaluate the situation from there. They're providing me with a courtesy car for the duration it takes.

I have read that it is a common problem and Toyota have extended the warranty to 100,000 miles to cover the head gasket. Is this true? I hope so as i don't have £3,000 to foot the bill if it is not. My car does have full main dealer service history and is maintained to an extremely high standard. It is also in for M.O.T. tomorrow.

I can't fault Toyota though, their service has been fantastic. They replaced my wheels under warranty as they were corroding without any quams what so ever.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Although not French, I live in France and the meaning warranty differs from the rest of the world in many cases.

However, the Toyota service in general is top.

I do not mind to go through issues with my car as long as the manufacturer takes its responsibility.

Hi guys. I have the same problem. My car has 63,200 miles on the clock and is overheating and using more water and coolant than the water board. I took it to Toyota last Friday and the earliest they can get it in is next Monday. They gave me 5 litres of coolant to keep topping it up and told me to try and keep extra mileage to a minimum, but to be fair it has been doing it for a few months now. I tow a caravan with it also which hasn't helped. lol. They said they're going to keep the car for a week, strip it down, send it off to Toyota and evaluate the situation from there. They're providing me with a courtesy car for the duration it takes.

I have read that it is a common problem and Toyota have extended the warranty to 100,000 miles to cover the head gasket. Is this true? I hope so as i don't have £3,000 to foot the bill if it is not. My car does have full main dealer service history and is maintained to an extremely high standard. It is also in for M.O.T. tomorrow.

I can't fault Toyota though, their service has been fantastic. They replaced my wheels under warranty as they were corroding without any quams what so ever.

Please let me know your thoughts.

My parents car was out of traditional warranty at nealy 4 years old, yet after investigation at Toyota and them sending off a report to head office, they came through although i think there is just a payment of around £300 for something my dad has to pay (which personally I wouldve kicked off about!). Personally I would think you have a strong case full dealer warranty, my dads had full bar the last service and they covered it, but it took ten nervous days of waiting after being told it would be £5k to sort!!. Get them to check the head is not warped if the head gasket has gone as this is common apparently. But good luck!

Just stumbled across this. When I was last in my local dealer there was one of Derbyshire's Police RAVs and it had cooked the head. Apparently the gasket allows tiny pockets of coolant to boil which degrades the gasket still further until failure indicated by the fluid being pushed out as indicated above.

I think there will be no trouble getting the 5 year 100k fix and it is a modified gasket to prevent recurrence.

Common problem for the diesles im afraid. Engine has to be removed due to the position of the turbo set up. Headgasket goes on number 2 or 3 :(

Nothing to do with the turbo setup. The engine needs to be removed to be stripped as there isnt any room to remove the timing chain cover with the chassis legs being so tight to the engine :).

Mart.

Toyota have put an extension on these cars for this fault. As long as you dont have to foot the bill then bear with the dealerships if they ask to have the car for a few days. Its quite an indepth job and i'm sure they want the job to be right and not rush through it. Depending on the model of toyota, some require engines to be removed completely, others it can be done with the engine left in. It really depends on the Technician i suppose. Either way it is a big job and of all the ones we've done, they havent faultered with the new gasket fitted so future problems shouldnt be a prob.

Toyota have put an extension on these cars for this fault. As long as you dont have to foot the bill then bear with the dealerships if they ask to have the car for a few days. Its quite an indepth job and i'm sure they want the job to be right and not rush through it. Depending on the model of toyota, some require engines to be removed completely, others it can be done with the engine left in. It really depends on the Technician i suppose. Either way it is a big job and of all the ones we've done, they havent faultered with the new gasket fitted so future problems shouldnt be a prob.

Which can you do with the engine in situ? Id like to see that done without alot of ballache lol.

Only takes an hour to drop the diesel engine/box if you are on form.

Mart.

Mart, personally i prefer to drop the whole lot and do it on the engine stand with lots of space but one of the other lads will do the lot in situ. It is possible and doesnt cause to many head aches to be honest.

So are you doing many down your way? Dont think we are doing as many as you lot down there but have had a few. Keeping us ticking away through the day when there's not alot else coming in through the door.

Hi Phil and others, do you know when Toyota started fitting the modified gasket or whatever else they did to stop it happening at the factory. My car a 2.2 d4d 150 was built late 2006 and registered Jan 2007 and has done 40k miles without problems as yet. It has recently had a service 40k(at 38k) at Toyota but does not full service history before a bought it. :o

Slightly worried .... Pete.

Mart, personally i prefer to drop the whole lot and do it on the engine stand with lots of space but one of the other lads will do the lot in situ. It is possible and doesnt cause to many head aches to be honest.

So are you doing many down your way? Dont think we are doing as many as you lot down there but have had a few. Keeping us ticking away through the day when there's not alot else coming in through the door.

I dont fancy trying to work in such a tight space myself (car wise that is! lol) I just dont think there is enough space to get the chain cover off, clean the surfaces properly and then get the cover back in without sealant everywhere. But if it works for him.

Done quite a few - alot of the engines usually come out for the timing chain covers leaking oil at the rear. We do have the occasional headgasket/short motor to do on them but not a huge amount.

We are very busy with new sales/used sales prep and service work at the minute so all is good here :)

Not really had a quiet time for years and they still keep employing techs so no free ramps anymore.

Mart.

Hi Pete, to be honest this issue has only been seen by us in the last six months and alot of the cars have been high miler's driven by rep's etc. Seems like its only a prob when they are driven quite hard. We see more cars running ok than we do with headgasket problems. You've still got a little warranty left and as above, toyota have extended the warranty for this fault. Personally i would just keep it in mind, keep a check on the coolant level ( always check from cold ), coolant temp guage and check the oil regular and if you are at all in doubt, go to your local garage and ask for them to have a look over.

Mart, i'll be honest, i dont take the motor out for the re-seals. It is a little tight but is do-able. Again, never had any come-backs once done. Every-ones different i suppose.

We've been selling loads of new/used which has helped us alot. I think our location/size is probably due to us being quieter. We'll see what the next few months bring!

Hi Pete, to be honest this issue has only been seen by us in the last six months and alot of the cars have been high miler's driven by rep's etc. Seems like its only a prob when they are driven quite hard. We see more cars running ok than we do with headgasket problems. You've still got a little warranty left and as above, toyota have extended the warranty for this fault. Personally i would just keep it in mind, keep a check on the coolant level ( always check from cold ), coolant temp guage and check the oil regular and if you are at all in doubt, go to your local garage and ask for them to have a look over.

Thanks for the quick reply Phil, i have been in the motor trade all my life on trucks, cars etc until a recent brush with the big C! I'm ok with my cars but I still worry about stuff like this and the possible financial implications never mind the agro of it all. Just been on the "Honest John" website forum and it seems cars built well after mine have given trouble usually at around 70-80k miles. I don't thrash mine so i'm hoping it will not give me trouble and i do check all the levels at least once a week. :thumbsup:

Thanks again mate .... Pete.

Common problem for the diesles im afraid. Engine has to be removed due to the position of the turbo set up. Headgasket goes on number 2 or 3 :(

nothing to do with the turbo set up......... the 2.2 is chain driven their for has a timing chain cover which is one piece and thats why you need to remove the enginge.

heard it can be done in place but it would be very tight and it doesn't take long to remove the engine!

i've rebuilt a few of these not a nice engine to rebuild. :(

phil have they extended the warranty?? i'm about to do an other gasket and the note i've got says their is no add on and its still 3 years or 60k??

Only mentioned the turbo setup coz on TOTTS it says to get that off,you have to drop the engine anyway. We're doing them all the time now, 99% are all rep cars and the mileage is getting high. How many peole have had a re-program crash on the IT2 ? Thats a fun game, they've sorted the firmware for it now though lol.

Only mentioned the turbo setup coz on TOTTS it says to get that off,you have to drop the engine anyway. We're doing them all the time now, 99% are all rep cars and the mileage is getting high. How many peole have had a re-program crash on the IT2 ? Thats a fun game, they've sorted the firmware for it now though lol.

Oh right, you dont have to remove engine for turbo removal. you can definately do it with engine in situ :)

Mart.

Drooped the car off at my local dealer today. I told the dealer that i had read on the internet on several different sites including the toyota owners club forum that because this was a common fault with the engines, Toyota have increased the warranty to 100k miles for the gasket. The service manager said he had no knowledge of this and it would be done as a good will gesture from Toyota if a replacement was OK'd by them. This worried me as so many people have mentioned this on here and a few other sites but he had heard nothing from Toyota... :huh:

Anyway... I now have a Yaris TR outside my house for a week or until it has been sorted.

Got the car back on thursday. All sorted. New cylinder head, head gasket, new oil and new oil filter. All F.O.C. :) Top service from Ron Brooks Toyota in Mansfield. :)

Got the car back on thursday. All sorted. New cylinder head, head gasket, new oil and new oil filter. All F.O.C. :) Top service from Ron Brooks Toyota in Mansfield. :)

What a result for you and Toyota! Show me another manufacturer that would do that :P .... top class mate, 3 cheers for Ron Brooks Toyota Mansfield. :toast:

Best of luck with your 180 in the future .... Pete.

I went into my local toyota dealership and the manager said that he would chase up toyota on my behalf if i wanted him to but couldnt promise anything... I rang toyota GB who denied all knowledge it was a common problem and that no extended warranty or goodwill would be offered. So i sent toyota GB a snotty letter and within 2 days I had a phonecall offering a repair FOC. I have a 2.2 avensis T-spirit by the way

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links