Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq2 Brake Pedal Creep

bink

Do all IQs brake pedal creep while stopped on hill: I noticed in stop start traffic on a slight hill that the brakes on my IQ would only hold the car still for approx 20 seconds, making me push the brake pedal further until car stops. This process continues until the pedal hits the floor (It then holds the car).

I would be interested to know if your IQ DOES or DOESN'T do this.

Thanks in advance.

The car went into a Toyota dealer and they said that they all do that. Toyota uk also agree. I am not so sure, thats why I would like to hear from people who have not got this problem!!!

Could any IQ2 owners please try this on their car. Stop on a hill using your foot brake. Hold your foot in the same position for 60 seconds. Does your car start to roll (without depressing your foot any further)

Please let me know what your car does.

Thanks

I am not an expert but it makes me thinks about air bubbles in brake liquid or something like this...

I have a question... why haven't you gone to toyota to check this yet ?

Do all IQs brake pedal creep while stopped on hill: I noticed in stop start traffic on a slight hill that the brakes on my IQ would only hold the car still for approx 20 seconds, making me push the brake pedal further until car stops. This process continues until the pedal hits the floor (It then holds the car).

Thanks in advance.

If the symptoms are exactly as you say then there must be a fault in the system.

Brake pedals should never "hit the floor" under any conditions (unless it is an old Citroen, but that is another story).

I would suggest another visit to Mr T, and if you do find out what the reason is, please let us all know!

Thanks in advance.

I have been To Mr T and they have said "They all do it".

This process continues until the pedal hits the floor (It then holds the car).

:eek: Major brake issue if the pedal touches the floor! Not good :(

Thanks in advance.

I have been To Mr T and they have said "They all do it".

Shame on you Mr T! :censor: :help:

Go see a dealer who knows what he is talking about instead of this dangerous person! :eek: unbelievable.

Mr T: a big NONO.

This process continues until the pedal hits the floor (It then holds the car).

:eek: Major brake issue if the pedal touches the floor! Not good :(

I agree brake pedals DO NOT hit the floor when pressed unless there is a major problem with the braking system. If that was my car it would be in the Toyota garage wanting some answers and I would not be driving it around GET IT LOOKED AT.

Thanks in advance.

The car went into a Toyota dealer and they said that they all do that. Toyota uk also agree. I am not so sure, thats why I would like to hear from people who have not got this problem!!!

Could any IQ2 owners please try this on their car. Stop on a hill using your foot brake. Hold your foot in the same position for 60 seconds. Does your car start to roll (without depressing your foot any further)

Thanks

If the discs are hot when you stop on a hill holding the car on the footbrake, after a while they will contract a little due to them cooling off and you will have to press the pedal a bit more to compensate.

They would have to be quite hot to start with for it to make any difference, I would have thought.

However the pedal would never get anywhere near the floor unless there is a problem with the braking system.

Did MrT take the car out to emulate the situation in practice, or was it the old shaking of the head, standing behind the desk for safety, making sweeping wrong statements type of frustrating encounter?

The car was taken on a RAC loader to Toyota (RAC man said that there was a fault, has written brake fault on his paperwork).

The garage had the car for one day. When I rang them they said that no fault was found and that the car was safe (even though I had shown them the fault when I picked the car up). I requested a report of what they had found and am still waiting. They have also refused to confirm in writing that my car is safe to drive.

The car was taken on a RAC loader to Toyota (RAC man said that there was a fault, has written brake fault on his paperwork).

The garage had the car for one day. When I rang them they said that no fault was found and that the car was safe (even though I had shown them the fault when I picked the car up). I requested a report of what they had found and am still waiting. They have also refused to confirm in writing that my car is safe to drive.

Let me write you the only confirm you need :

"GO TO ANOTHER TOYOTA DEALER AND WRITE TO TOYOTA UK TO DESCRIBE WHAT HAPPENNED !!!"

Let me write you the only confirm you need :

"GO TO ANOTHER TOYOTA DEALER AND WRITE TO TOYOTA UK TO DESCRIBE WHAT HAPPENNED !!!"

I think the garage wants to be reported to Toyota tey clearly dont know what they are doing

My iQ2 does not do that.

What you have described is exactly what happens when the seals in the brake master cylinder are leaking. In fact what you are doing (sitting stationary with your foot on the brake) is exactly how you test for damaged master cylinder seals. It can also be a leak on one of the brake poie joints but I'm sure you'd have noticed brake fluid on the ground or elsewhere. You'd also see the fluid level falling over time.

http://www.brakesint.co.uk/technical.html#techNote201

It's not safe to drive.

They have also refused to confirm in writing that my car is safe to drive.

That’s your warning sign that they are talking out their backsides!

As already suggested, take it to another dealer in your area and get a second/third opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

As requested in your original post, this morning I stopped on three different hills, held the car on the footbrake with the engine running and in none of these cases did the brake effect change or the pedal need to be pressed harder to prevent rearward motion after about a minute had passed.(I didn't think it would but I wanted to be sure!)

It does seem there is a fault in your car's braking system, but it is very unusual for an iQ to misbehave, touch wood.I have been scanning this forum since February this year and this is I think the first "bad" fault that has been reported (apart from the trim issues and stiff gearchanges etc).

A rogue brake cylinder can still get through quality control I suppose.

Certainly contact Toyota customer services and go to a different garage.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

As requested in your original post, this morning I stopped on three different hills, held the car on the footbrake with the engine running and in none of these cases did the brake effect change or the pedal need to be pressed harder to prevent rearward motion after about a minute had passed.(I didn't think it would but I wanted to be sure!)

It does seem there is a fault in your car's braking system, but it is very unusual for an iQ to misbehave, touch wood.I have been scanning this forum since February this year and this is I think the first "bad" fault that has been reported (apart from the trim issues and stiff gearchanges etc).

A rogue brake cylinder can still get through quality control I suppose.

Certainly contact Toyota customer services and go to a different garage.

Thanks for taking the time. It helps to confirm what I know to be correct and that the Toyota garage and Toyota UK are spinning me a yarn. I think I am going to have to get a report from the AA or RAC to give me backup as I seem to be banging my head against a brick wall.

Thanks again.

I hope you get satisfaction without too much further trouble.

When I had an Aygo with a strange squeak, the workshop controller came out with me in the car so I could point the noise out to him and he immediately knew what it was and was able to fix it very quickly (copaslip needed on rear of brake pads).

Would your MrT's people (ask to speak to the manager if the desk people are obstructive) not be willing to drive to the nearest hill with you, to see if the symptoms you describe can be reproduced?

On a safety matter like this, it the least they should do.

Please keep us informed of any outcomes.

Hi Bink,

Did you get anywhere with this issue?

I ask because I think I experienced the same, this morning...

Sat on a slight hill on the approach to a roundabout, and after about 20-25 seconds, the car started rolling back..

I'd also mention that I don't think the brakes are very good (for a new car) and there's often a lot of pedal travel and a spongy feel.

Thanks,

Just a quick point. Why are you you using the footbrake to hold the car stationary on a hill - surely this is what the handbrake is designed for?

I realise you need to use the footbrake to stop, but when stopped you should apply the handbrake?

I also realise that the problem listed in this thread is very unsafe & I would be kicking MrT where it hurts until they resolved or even acknowledged the problem.

Hi Bink,

Sat on a slight hill on the approach to a roundabout, and after about 20-25 seconds, the car started rolling back..

I'd also mention that I don't think the brakes are very good (for a new car) and there's often a lot of pedal travel and a spongy feel.

Thanks,

Return it tou your dealer ASAP and demand they fix it.............. :censor:

Hi Bink,

Thanks,

Toyota are going to take the car tonight to test it. Lets see what happens. I will keep you posted.

Hi Bink,

Thanks,

Toyota are going to take the car tonight to test it. Lets see what happens. I will keep you posted.

Car not picked up. They rang to tell me that they had made a mistake. Will pick it up tomorrow at 9.00am.

Car not picked up. They rang to tell me that they had made a mistake. Will pick it up tomorrow at 9.00am.

Unusual for anyone to admit to making a mistake these days!

What was their mistake, and have you had any satisfaction with regard to the iQ problem, from them yet?

Toyota UK rang me on Friday 23 OCT to say that they have now found the fault that I reported. I am now waiting for a report from Toyota. They also found that the handbrake had a fault (was out of Toyota's spec).

I am looking at taking legal action against Toyota. (rejecting car, safety, lack of customer service, and stating things that were not true)

I am still driving a hire car (paid for by Toyota UK)

If anyone has the same fault goto your dealer. IT IS A FAULT

Toyota UK rang me on Friday 23 OCT to say that they have now found the fault that I reported. I am now waiting for a report from Toyota. They also found that the handbrake had a fault (was out of Toyota's spec).

I am looking at taking legal action against Toyota. (rejecting car, safety, lack of customer service, and stating things that were not true)

I am still driving a hire car (paid for by Toyota UK)

If anyone has the same fault goto your dealer. IT IS A FAULT

Thanks for the update.

Well done in persisting, it is too easy for dealers to say "they all do that" without investigating what could be a serious fault.

I am keen to find what Toyota give as the cause in this case, maybe they may have to check over all iQs to make sure the same fault won't happen to others.(Probably they will just wait until the first service to give a check over, unless a problem is reported)

Please keep us informed, if you can be bothered!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links