Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squealing At Startup

Pritch

Hi all,

sure someone can give me a pointer here, when we start up in the mornings, we are getting a sort of squealing noise, which sounds like a belt, certainly something turning, engine sounds fine.

Doesn't happen when the engine is warm, but is pretty noisy.

Garage tell me that the cam belt has been replaced (its got 62.5k on the clock).

Only happened in the last week, could it be colder mornings, and any suggestions as to what to do ?

Anything to worry about ?

Thanks

A squealing serpentine belt is a common 'feature' of both petrol and diesel Ravs.

You can help by pouring a little warm water over the belt, this should remove the worst of the noise. You may have to do it quite often when it gets really cold :)

Could try some of THIS ;)

Used it a lot when I ran a workshop :thumbsup:

Les

Thanks Les,

will give this a go !

Having checked this afternoon its seems like the belt that is on the left of the engine (bet you can tell I'm not a mechanic can't you !), that is doing the sqealing, consistant with the need of a good bit of lubrication.....as we all could do with from time to time !!

Thanks again all............

Cheers

;)

belt lubrication isn't a pretty good idea (it only works for few startups) you'd better tight the belt of, if the belt is old, change it

belt lubrication isn't a pretty good idea (it only works for few startups) you'd better tight the belt of, if the belt is old, change it

Thanks - so I guess its back to the garage then ?

Yeh be careful, there is a difference between a creaking belt (which can be cured with the spray) and a squealing one which needs to be tightened.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links