Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

On CHR Nextbase IQ 2K Draining battery and cut off.

DV21VSV

Auris Hybrid  CHR 1.8 Excel 2021 bought 30 March. A Nextbase Dashcam fitted 06 April by Halfords to obq port as in Nextbase instructions . 2 days later the car failed to start. AA were called in and with jump start I drove car to local Toyota dealers. Their Battery check showed Battery borderline to be replaced so they have agreed to retest. 

I disconnected the Dashcam and measured the voltage as 2.59 . Next morning , 18 hours later the voltage was 2.3.

1. Has anyone else experienced problems with this model of Dashcam using excess voltage?

2. Has anyone experienced Battery level issues with battery charge on this CHR model.

My previous car was hybrid Auris 1.8 2017. I went on holiday for 5 weeks and the car started first time on my return? With this model they are advising to keep it on trickle charge.

I am now wondering if the dashcam is compatible with the car.

More to follow I guess but the dealers are trying to help rectify the situation.

10 hours ago, DV21VSV said:

A NextBase dashcam fitted 06 April by Halfords to OBD port as in NextBase instructions ...

I don't have any particular knowledge of that specific Dashcam. Connecting via the OBD port will allow the camera to draw power / operate while the car is switched off - i.e. not in Ready mode. This might be useful if you want to operate in so called "parking mode" but will, potentially, 'kill' the auxiliary Battery in our hybrids in no time at all - which appears to be your experience.

When a Dashcam is fitted by a Toyota dealer it is not powered while the car is 'off'.

It's best to hardwired to acc or plug into 12v lighter socket on hybrid. This is my setup so it doesn't use the 12v Battery

11 hours ago, DV21VSV said:

My previous car was hybrid Auris 1.8 2017

Please edit your profile to include the C-HR.

The installation guide for that Dashcam states:

Should you use the OBD or Hardwire cable?

iQ comes with both an OBD power cable and a Hardwire Kit included in the box, for ease of installation, we recommend powering iQ using the OBD power cable when possible. 

Hardwiring the Dash Cam

If you're unable to power your iQ via the OBD cable or would prefer to wire it to your fuse box, it can be installed using the hardwire kit (supplied in the box). 

Important: The hardwire kit must be installed on a permanently live fuse (a fuse that's live when the ignition is off) in order to use the iQ's smart features. 

- i.e. it requests / requires to be connected to a permanent live. This, in turn, makes it the camera's responsibility to protect the [auxiliary] 12V Battery which it has failed to do.

So, to your wondering, I doubt that this model of Dashcam is compatible with a modern Toyota hybrid ...

If you were to install it on a switched live fuse (a fuse that's only live when the ignition is on) you would not be able to make use of the iQ's smart features making the smart Dashcam potentially a waste of money.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links