Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

TPMS question

bluerav4

Hi

does anyone know what the cost is for Toyota to replace and reprogram a new TPMS sensor? I’ve just recently had the Rav serviced and since this morning the light flashes for about 30 seconds and then stays on. I’m assuming it’s one of the sensors or is there a way I can reprogram them myself as I’m sure a local tyre fitter would be able to fit a new valve. I’ve been around to a few local places but unfortunately no one has the program software to reprogram the new sensors. 
 Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

Might be the Battery in the sensor has died; They're rated for about 10 years so if these are still the original sensors that'd be about right.

If so, budget for 4 new ones as the others won't be far behind!

You'll need to get a quote but hopefully the ones for yours aren't too expensive...

The ones for my Yaris Mk4 were £72 each! :eek:  But Mazda sell a pack of 4 for just over a hundred for the same car :laugh: 

Any half-decent mechanic with an proper ODB2 tool should be able to code them to the car.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd be looking on Ali Express for some fakes or something, just to shut the car up. Anyone with a driving licence is perfectly capable of knowing when their tyre is flat without some smart-alec computer telling them!

• Like 2

There are third-party 'compatible' ones out there but you need to do a lot more research on what works as a lot of them, esp the cheapo chinese ones, can be very glitchy, and that's assuming you can even get them to code in!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ThomasL said:

I'd be looking on Ali Express for some fakes or something, just to shut the car up. Anyone with a driving licence is perfectly capable of knowing when their tyre is flat without some smart-alec computer telling them!

While it's certainly true that "anyone with a driving licence should be perfectly capable of knowing when their tyre is flat", i is an MoT requirement that cars fitted with TPMS sensors have working TPMS sensors.

@bluerav4

Genuine Toyota parts are £142.28 a set - I'm assuming that is a set of 4 but you'd need to check.

Third-party replacements come at £45.60 each (just an example)

"Programming" is a rather grandiose term for what needs to be done - the ECU in the car simply needs to know the identity of the TMPS valves fitted to the car. There are two approaches - updating the ECU via the OBD port with the new TPMS identities or cloning the original values into the new TPMS valves. Either approach requires an appropriate tool and I'm a little surprised that the national tyre chains aren't able to offer the service.

How much is your dealer quoting for the job?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, philip42h said:

While it's certainly true that "anyone with a driving licence should be perfectly capable of knowing when their tyre is flat", i is an MoT requirement that cars fitted with TPMS sensors have working TPMS sensors.

@bluerav4

Genuine Toyota parts are £142.28 a set - I'm assuming that is a set of 4 but you'd need to check.

Third-party replacements come at £45.60 each (just an example)

"Programming" is a rather grandiose term for what needs to be done - the ECU in the car simply needs to know the identity of the TMPS valves fitted to the car. There are two approaches - updating the ECU via the OBD port with the new TPMS identities or cloning the original values into the new TPMS valves. Either approach requires an appropriate tool and I'm a little surprised that the national tyre chains aren't able to offer the service.

How much is your dealer quoting for the job?

Hi,

thanks for your reply my local dealer quoted me £95 that’s just for the valve and I didn’t ask for the fitting price. The link you provided just ordered them and he confirmed it’s a set of 4 which is a fantastic price as I was a bit confused by it. Ended up buying a set of discs and pads from them too which was cheaper than buying separate. Not sure why other dealers can’t have similar prices as it looks like they are main dealer down south according to the invoice. Thank you for that saved me quite a bit of money there now just need to find someone that can fit them. 

• Like 2

I have a 2013 Rav and my sensors are playing up too.

Vantage quoted me £500 to replace all four.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, philip42h said:

is an MoT requirement that cars fitted with TPMS sensors have working TPMS sensors

But they don't work properly! 😜 Example: a chilly winter morning they complain just because the air in the tyre is cold, and then are happy after five minutes!

Isn't there also some law that all new cars must have them fitted too?

I can understand requiring abs or even reversing camera and the like, but not a flashing light to tell you that tyre pressure changed for some unknown reason!

Were these laws paid for by the motoring execs? Did a lord get a cushy job on the board of Halfords? 😁

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, ThomasL said:

Isn't there also some law that all new cars must have them fitted too?

Tyre pressure monitoring systems became a mandatory fitment on all new cars sold within the EU from November 2014.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well found an easy solution. My partner just reminded me about a year ago I bought an OBD reader to check for a fault. Just plugged into the OBD reader na dots showing an error on one of them and you can reprogram a new sensor into it. Only paid £30 for it so not complaining. Just need to find out which valve it is now and can do that by releasing the air in each tyre one by one. So chuffed as it would’ve worked out very expensive to replace all of them. Attached a screenshot of what the OBD was showing IMG_0194.thumb.png.0a3317d5dabe1096585306c4fb548192.png

• Like 4

I used to think they're kinda stupid, but now that they've tied them into the car's computer and you can actually SEE the pressures now I'm a convert :biggrin: 

It's saved me the faff of checking them every couple weeks and trying to attach the stupid hose without letting all the air out, failing, then having to pump them up again.

If they'd made them display the pressures from the start I think people would like them better - On older cars they're just rubbish as they don't show any pressures, just a warning, and the warning doesn't even show you which wheel has the problem, so you still have to go round checking them all as it doesn't even tell you if it's just one tyre or more! Considering all that data was available from the start, it's ridiculous it's taken this long for manufacturers to show it to the driver.

As for the cold weather thing, if that happens you've probably set it too high - When you get that warning next time, just do the reset/recalibrate procedure on the sensors for that lower pressure and it won't bug you any more. Mine have never gone off in winter.

6 hours ago, bluerav4 said:

Well found an easy solution. My partner just reminded me about a year ago I bought an OBD reader to check for a fault. Just plugged into the OBD reader na dots showing an error on one of them and you can reprogram a new sensor into it. Only paid £30 for it so not complaining. Just need to find out which valve it is now and can do that by releasing the air in each tyre one by one. So chuffed as it would’ve worked out very expensive to replace all of them. Attached a screenshot of what the OBD was showing IMG_0194.thumb.png.0a3317d5dabe1096585306c4fb548192.png

Yeah that's why I was surprised the OP said no local places could do it - Any half-descent ODB2 tool can do it!

• Like 2

Stating the obvious I know, but I suppose you have checked your tyre pressures  ?

I really didn’t know you could use a half decent OBD reader to reprogram as over the years have paid Toyota stupid money to supply and fit new ones. Anyway will update once it’s all done. I

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

Stating the obvious I know, but I suppose you have checked your tyre pressures  ?

Yes, pressures are all good it’s defo a sensor as the TPMS light flashes. Easy fix now I know I can do it myself with my OBD reader 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bluerav4 said:

Yes, pressures are all good it’s defo a sensor as the TPMS light flashes. Easy fix now I know I can do it myself with my OBD reader 

Sensors arrived today so hopefully will get them fitted this weekend 

• Like 1

One of my valve sheared off completely while topping up, cost me £180 for a new valve, TPMS sensor and programming to the car. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Shootgun said:

One of my valve sheared off completely while topping up, cost me £180 for a new valve, TPMS sensor and programming to the car. 

I paid £148 including P&P for all 4 from the link Philip kindly posted. Bought 2 sets one for the Yaris and it cost me nothing to program it as used my old OBD reader with an app on my phone

absolutely ridiculous how we’re being ripped off 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links