Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Roof Box For Rav4 Xtr 07

maplec

Hi guys

I am new to the forum, and we have recently purchased a Toyota Rav4 XTR D4D 07.

We are soon to go on a lengthy road trip and our dog will be travelling in the boot therefore we need a roof box to put on top of our Thule Aero bars.

No one I have spoken to knows whether the Karrite Odyssey 470 litre roofbox will fit our model, they said the smaller Karrite Odyssey 370 litre will - but not sure whether we are going to be able to fit all our gear into the 370 litre box. I think that there will be overhang if we went for the 470 litre box - and then there is the aerial to contend with.

Dimensions of 470 litre box: 165 x 95 x 41

Dimensions of 370 litre box: 150 x 90 x 40

Has anyone managed to fit a 470 litre luggage roof box onto their Rav? Or do you think the 370 litre would do the job.

There are the two of us and our 2 small children.

Thanks for your help.

I can't comment on the roof box but just wanted to welcome you to the club.

Hopefully somebody with experience of such things will look in soon!

Thanks Anchorman for the welcome, excellent forum, have been reading up on lots of posts, really helpful info to be had.

I think the solution is to head down to Halfords to check out the sizes then buy online through skidrive, was hoping to avoid doing that but would rather buy once buy right.

Thank you.

I can't comment on the roof box but just wanted to welcome you to the club.

Hopefully somebody with experience of such things will look in soon!

We have a genuine Toyota parts man who will give good discounts on parts. Try sending him a message to see if he can help.

Hi there, we've got the Thule Atlantis 780 which is 196cm x 78cm x 44cm and has 480 litre capacity. And - it fits! It also fits a Rav 4.2 and you can, if you offset it, put a bike carrier (just the one) alongside. Thoroughly tested and recommended. I'd say you'll be wanting the bigger one, too

Best regards

P8310252.jpg

P9020286.jpg

ROBERT!!!!!!

How the heck are you stranger?

When are you coming over for a stay in the Peak District?

Robert that is excellent!! Thanks so much for the photos too, love them, that's definitely how to go on a road trip. Okay so bigger will work in this case, that is great news.

Hi Anchorman, think I will go Thule for the roofbox but will keep the details of the partsman for other things without a doubt, that's brilliant info, thank you.

Hi there, we've got the Thule Atlantis 780 which is 196cm x 78cm x 44cm and has 480 litre capacity. And - it fits! It also fits a Rav 4.2 and you can, if you offset it, put a bike carrier (just the one) alongside. Thoroughly tested and recommended. I'd say you'll be wanting the bigger one, too

Best regards

P8310252.jpg

P9020286.jpg

Thanks once again Robert, have just placed an order for our box based on your photo, and yes I totally agree that the bigger box was definitely the better option, just needed someone's experience of it, thanks, you just saved me a trip to Halfords!!

Have a great weekend guys.

Thanks once again Robert, have just placed an order for our box based on your photo, and yes I totally agree that the bigger box was definitely the better option, just needed someone's experience of it, thanks, you just saved me a trip to Halfords!!

Have a great weekend guys.

maplec, my great pleasure!! You can see from the second image how much our dog likes the beach

ROBERT!!!!!!

How the heck are you stranger?

When are you coming over for a stay in the Peak District?

Anchorman, I am exceedingly well, thank you. I won't bore the whole community with the story of our house move in July :help: , the wait for Broadband in 21st century Ireland :ffs: , or the website policies of my employer which exclude forums :crybaby: . I will, however, bore you in a PM later today :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just wanted to say thanks Robert for outstanding roofbox advice, we extended our budget and went for Thule Atlantis 200 and it was worth the extra cost.

I'm not sure if you will see this post but I was hoping to ask you where you bought your boot liner from?

If anyone else has any suggestions on a good rubber boot liner I'd be grateful, it is to protect the boot from our GSD.

Thanks once again.

:yes::thumbsup:

Hi

Just wanted to say thanks Robert for outstanding roofbox advice, we extended our budget and went for Thule Atlantis 200 and it was worth the extra cost.

I'm not sure if you will see this post but I was hoping to ask you where you bought your boot liner from?

If anyone else has any suggestions on a good rubber boot liner I'd be grateful, it is to protect the boot from our GSD.

Thanks once again.

They pop up on fleebay quite a lot or you can try Kingo for a new one.

Hi

Thanks once again.

Toyota do a brilliant boot liner for the 4.3RAV. I had mine fitted when I got the car and don't regret the decision. In the past I've used heavy duty rubber mats that you can cut to size but IMHO they are not nearly as good as the Toyota one with ( 40mm ) raised edges. I take it out when cleaning the car and give it a good doing with a pressure washer and it keeps coming up like new. My brother also has one to preserve his :thumbsup: boot from his Labrador. I guess if you wanted a complete liner for the boot, rather than just the floor area, you could use a rug over the back seats and tuck it under the Toyota floor cover. You would have to check with Parts-King, but I suspect that the genuine article costs about £60. Well worth it!

Thanks guys for the advice, any ideas how I touchbase with Parts King?

Hi

Thanks once again.

Toyota do a brilliant boot liner for the 4.3RAV. I had mine fitted when I got the car and don't regret the decision. In the past I've used heavy duty rubber mats that you can cut to size but IMHO they are not nearly as good as the Toyota one with ( 40mm ) raised edges. I take it out when cleaning the car and give it a good doing with a pressure washer and it keeps coming up like new. My brother also has one to preserve his :thumbsup: boot from his Labrador. I guess if you wanted a complete liner for the boot, rather than just the floor area, you could use a rug over the back seats and tuck it under the Toyota floor cover. You would have to check with Parts-King, but I suspect that the genuine article costs about £60. Well worth it!

Best regards

P8310252.jpg

P9020286.jpg

I can't get over how small the roof box looks, we have a Karrite Oddesy 370litre for all our camping stuff and it made my last car look small in comparison. Think I'll be taking some ladders to get access to the roof box though as I'm quite short.

Boot liner ordered, thanks all - unfortunately it wasn't in stock with Parts King although they could order it in, however I found a toyota dealer on *bay which had some in stock so got one from them.

Thanks for the advice.

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

Hope nobody minds me bringing up this old post but I have just bought a 2010 RAV4 and took a look at the Atlantis 780 today. My only concern is the weight limitation that Toyota specify in the manual of 46.2 Kgs that the roof rails can hold, the Atlantis weighs in at about 18 Kgs so that doesn't leave a whole lot to pack into the Thule.

Robert, have you kept the weight limit in mind, if not, have you had any problems?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links