Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bulbs : Hir2 = 9012 ?

bilmuche

I'm going to try a quick translation but it will have to be checked "seriously"

that would be useful thankyou.

Well there fitted and working a treat.

The only thing I would say thou is that the ballast box could do with some fixing brackets rather than elying on a sticky pad and cable ties.

Translation of bilmuche’s DIY

DON'T USE IT FOR NOW IT IS NOT ACCURATE

TUTO en Français :P

French DIY :P

post-85393-1260977430_thumb.jpgpost-85393-1260977471_thumb.jpg

il y aura bien qqun pour en faire une bonne traduction :rolleyes:

Hoping ther will be someone to o a right translation :rolleyes:

Acheter un kit Xénon 9006

Buy a 9006 xenon kit

Commencer par le phare gauche (du côté droit c’est un peu plus difficile à cause du réservoir de lave glace).

Begin with the left headlight (more difficult to do the righ one because there is less space to work

Enlever le cache du porte fusible.

Take off the fuse box cover

Enlever le cache noir d’environ 12cms de diamètre en le faisant tourner dans le sens des aiguilles d’une montre.

Take off the headlight black plastic cover by turning it counterclockwisely

Enlever l’ampoule en la faisant tourner d’environ 30° dans le sens contraire des aiguilles. Je crois qu’il ne faut pas salir le verre de ces ampoules en les touchant avec les doigts.

Take off the bulb turning it counterclockwisely DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS WITH YOUR FINGERS (use a clean towel/tissue)

Regarder les trois ergots de l’ampoule d’origine et les trois de l’ampoule 9006. Placer la 9006 comme sur les deux photos mises en ligne (dscn833&834). Le petit ergot de la 9006 va à la place de l’ergot placé en face de la prise d’alimentation 12V.

Look at the three 9006 bulb pins. Install 9006 bulb as seen on pics (dsnc833&834). The small 9006 pin goes in front of 12v electric connector

Faire un essai de pose sur le phare. Ça passe juste. Pour verrouiller l’ampoule, tourner d’environ 10/15° dans le sens des aiguilles (c’est moins que les 30° de la HIR2). Si on enlève un peu de matière à l’ergot du « bas à droite » (sur photo dscn834), il peut y avoir possibilité de tourner de 30° pour un meilleur verrouillage.

Now try to install the bulb as the genuine HIR2. you shouldn’t be able to turn 9006 bulb as far as HIR2 bulb. You will need to cut a little the “right bottom pin” of 9006 bulb to be able to lock it completly

Déposer l’ampoule et percer à un diamètre d’environ 24/25mm le cache noir en plastique pour faire passer les fils. Regarder avant l’endroit le meilleur pour percer ce cache en considérant qu’il faudra pouvoir reposer et verrouiller le cache de porte fusible après…

Now you checked the HID bulb can be well installed, take a pen and prepare to drill a 25mm hole on the black plastic protection to make a way for electrical wires. TAKE CARE THAT THE HOLE PLACE & WIRES WILL FIT WELL WITH THE FUSE BOX’S COVER. Now you can drill the hole...

Passer les fils dans le trou, ajuster la protection souple (contre les entrées d’eau) sur le trou, placer l’ampoule en place comme indiqué plus haut et la verrouiller, connecter l’arrivée de courant sur la prise du kit (le fil rouge du kit sur le rose de l’alimentation du phare cad le +), fermer le cache noir, relier l’extrémité des câbles au ballast. Bien vérifier la polarité : rouge=+ (car il n’y a pas de détrompeur sur le ballast).

Put the wires through the hole and install the “seal/smooth plastic protection against water” on the hole. Installe the 9006 bulb as you already did before to drill the hole and connect the electrical supply (connect red wire to pink connector) NEED A PICTURE FOR THIS STEP PLEASE (not sure about what you meant in french) !!!

Fixer le ballast à l’abri des projections d’eau (à la base du pare brise, il y a sous la plaque plastique qui fait toute la largeur du véhicule une traverse métallique déjà trouée. Il n’y a donc que le plastique à percer au bon endroit)

Tourner le commodo !!

then install the ballast under the “front window” under the plastic part to protect from rain. There are some holes in the car so you will juste need to drill the ballast’s ballast support PLEASE ALSO NEED A PICTURE HERE !!!

Faire de même de l’autre côté en enlevant la fixation du tuyau de réservoir de lave glace.

Do the same thing on the other side...

Kit acheté sur eBay chez mzdz2009 pour moins de 40€.

Je trouve ce kit un peu long à démarrer. Il lui faut deux ou trois seconder pour être en température et donc pour obtenir l’éclairage maximum. Je ne sais pas si ça vient du ballast ou du fait que ce sont des 55W. J’avais acheté du xénon 35W il y a un an en H1 & H4 et je n’avais pas ce petit défaut. Il y avait aussi des détrompeurs pour éviter les erreurs de polarité.

Bought this HID kit on eBay to mzdz2009 for less than 40€

I thought it is a bit long to start when you switch it on, it take 3 seconds to get full power light. I don’t know if it comes from ballast or if it is because they are 55w bulbs. I had bought 35W H1 and H4 HID kits one year ago and hadn’t this problem. NOT SURE ABOUT YOU YOU MEANT je vois pas le rapport avec les détrompeurs… ça marchera pas si l’alimentation est inversée

Translation of bilmuche’s DIY

Enlever le cache noir d’environ 12cms de diamètre en le faisant tourner dans le sens des aiguilles d’une montre.

Take off the headlight black plastic cover by turning it counterclockwisely

Enlever l’ampoule en la faisant tourner d’environ 30° dans le sens contraire des aiguilles. Je crois qu’il ne faut pas salir le verre de ces ampoules en les touchant avec les doigts.

Take off the bulb turning it counterclockwisely DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS WITH YOUR FINGERS (use a clean towel/tissue)

seems to be a translation error clockwise (plastic cover) and anticlockwise (bulb)

Faire un essai de pose sur le phare. Ça passe juste. Pour verrouiller l’ampoule, tourner d’environ 10/15° dans le sens des aiguilles (c’est moins que les 30° de la HIR2). Si on enlève un peu de matière à l’ergot du « bas à droite » (sur photo dscn834), il peut y avoir possibilité de tourner de 30° pour un meilleur verrouillage.

Now try to install the bulb as the genuine HIR2. you shouldn’t be able to turn 9006 bulb as far as HIR2 bulb. You will need to cut a little the “right bottom pin” of 9006 bulb to be able to lock it completly

I've not tried to cut the pin. you can install the bulb without doing it. locking is not complete but it's not a problem.

Passer les fils dans le trou, ajuster la protection souple (contre les entrées d’eau) sur le trou, placer l’ampoule en place comme indiqué plus haut et la verrouiller, connecter l’arrivée de courant sur la prise du kit (le fil rouge du kit sur le rose de l’alimentation du phare cad le +), fermer le cache noir, relier l’extrémité des câbles au ballast. Bien vérifier la polarité : rouge=+ (car il n’y a pas de détrompeur sur le ballast).

Put the wires through the hole and install the “seal/smooth plastic protection against water” on the hole. Installe the 9006 bulb as you already did before to drill the hole and connect the electrical supply (connect red wire to pink connector) NEED A PICTURE FOR THIS STEP PLEASE (not sure about what you meant in french) !!!

connect red wire of Hid to pink wire of the original HIR2 (+ connection) and also the other wire (black, not sure)

Fixer le ballast à l’abri des projections d’eau (à la base du pare brise, il y a sous la plaque plastique qui fait toute la largeur du véhicule une traverse métallique déjà trouée. Il n’y a donc que le plastique à percer au bon endroit)

Tourner le commodo !!

then install the ballast under the “front window” under the plastic part to protect from rain. There are some holes in the car so you will juste need to drill the ballast’s ballast support PLEASE ALSO NEED A PICTURE HERE !!!

you have already a picture in the topic

if you drill in the right position, you have to make a hole only in plastic part of car (no need to hole the metallic part under plastic part because you can find a hole)

no need to drill the ballast

tourner le commodo = switch on the lights at dashboard

Il y avait aussi des détrompeurs pour éviter les erreurs de polarité.

avec ce kit il faut s'assurer de la polarité : + avec + et - avec -

sur le kit acheté l'an dernier il n'était pas possible de se tromper : il était impossible de connecter le + sur le -

GRAND MERCI POUR TA TRADUCTION

Dam, all worked a treat last night but it appears a Balast has failed today. Both bulbs work fine.

Check wiring and polarity ;)

Dam, all worked a treat last night but it appears a Balast has failed today. Both bulbs work fine.

Check wiring and polarity ;)

Hi,

Yes done that. It worked fine last night.

Then again this morning then once at work I went to show someone and only one bulb came on.

Tried the bulb on the other ballast and it was fine. 12v going into ballast as well.

Just emailed them to see how they will deal with this faulty unit.

Hi MccLtd

Sorry for you.

no problemw withg mine.

Do you have ordered 35W or 55W?

I have the 55watt. They were good whilst they worked.

They made such a difference I have ordered some from the UK whilst I wait for a replacment balast.

I had the same problem with 2 different hid kits on my yaris (100€ each kit...) so i gave up LOL

New kit in place now. Bit more expensive but was from UK this time. Also it had proper mounting positions and brackets with it. I will pop up a couple of pictures later.

• 1 month later...
was from UK

from UK but made in RPC ???? :naughty:

They are yes, but easier on warranty front.

If i could make a suggestion . i think this topic should change title to be more enlightening and to be fwdas a sticky subject since it has everything (pictures - theory- romance and suspence )

thanks to all

If i could make a suggestion . i think this topic should change title to be more enlightening and to be fwdas a sticky subject since it has everything (pictures - theory- romance and suspence )

thanks to all

:yes:

thanks to all

:yes:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Installed a HID light too!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

toc_103521_dsc_9842.jpg

(picture taken with highbeams)

I'm sure you noticed the HID light is installed on the left headlight.

This is a 9006 4300K 35W HID. You see it's already bright enough, do not buy a 55W kit or it will be too bright! (blinding bright for those on the other side of the road...)

I took 4300K because it's blue enough for me, and it's the brightest color for 35W. Also, hotter colors help seeing further away, and are easier on the eyes.

I was looking for efficiency and security, not for the look (but still, the look is much cooler (pun intended) than with the HIR2 bulbs!!!)

The kit was bought on eBay but I had shipping issues with the seller so I'm not going to recommend him.

As for the wiring polarity, on the left side there were two wires for the bulb: gray was the ground, and pink was the +12V (I recommend you still check, but this is how it was wired for me). I don't know what is on the right side yet.

I bought a "fat" ballast (not a slim one). It takes a few seconds to warm up; it's not a problem for me because I always drive with the headlights on, but think about it (maybe other ballasts are different).

A word of caution: I have the feeling that the headlight with the 9006 HID has a different beam pattern than the one with the HIR2, the main difference being that light is projected higher with the HID bulb. As a result I recommend being very careful with the headlight level settings (I am not using the 0, I always use 1 when I'm alone in the car, and I adjust it if there is someone else and/or luggages...).

Always check the law before doing such a modification to your car, it might be illegal where you live (some countries require extra equipment for HID lights)

I have a question... how do you remove the windscreen washer refill pipe?

I don't understand how it's attached and I need to remove it to access the headlight bulb on the right side!

Hope you find this useful :)

The washer refill pipe was held on with one clip near the top of it. This pulled out of the metal holder and then about 4" of the pipe just pulled of the rest of it. It was very simple.

One question for you, where do you adjust the beam height?

The washer refill pipe was held on with one clip near the top of it. This pulled out of the metal holder and then about 4" of the pipe just pulled of the rest of it. It was very simple.

I can't find how to remove that clip! It's made of two pins, I tried pushing them downwards, separating them, or pinching them.... no way! Maybe I didn't try hard enough? I don't want to break them :(

toc_103531_dsc_9845.jpg

[EDIT] I actually found how to remove it... it's written in the user manual of the car, as the headlight bulb is a user-serviceable part. You simply have to push the pins together, and then remove the cover from the metal holder by pulling it away vertically. It was quite hard to do, so do not hesitate to apply some force.

One question for you, where do you adjust the beam height?

I have a rotary button for it in the dashboard, right next to the exterior rearview mirrors control buttons.

toc_103531_dsc_9843.jpg

If I'm correct there are 5 levels, 0 is supposed to be used when you're alone in the car, and the more weight there is, the higher setting you are supposed to use. It's easy, I just look at the level of my lights relative to the rearview mirrors of the other cars and I adjust it so that it is right below the rearview mirrors. The only time I use the 0 setting is when I drive in the highway at highspeed (>120km/h) for visiblity and security reasons.

If you don't have that button it would mean that your iQ has an automatic level? If so it would be very interesting! Let me know :)

Just seen the button. Shows how observative I am didn't even realise I had level adjustment.

Just seen the button. Shows how observative I am didn't even realise I had level adjustment.

I can't overstate how level adjustment is important - you really need to adjust it each time you take the car, depending on what is in the car

I did a test drive with my new HID bulbs and man, wow! What a difference... it's really a shame that Toyota did not give us HID bulbs right from the start. I mean, we're in 2010... halogen bulbs is for 20th century car! :D

I'm going to post a few pictures of my setup. Stay tuned guys!

Uski,

totally agree the hids make a huge difference.

I've always had zenon/hids before and didn't even think about them when buying the Iq. Thought that it was standard nowadays.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links