Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1997 Rav4 Gx - Engine Running Problem..!

leggyloo2

So after 3 days of tryin to get the diff lock off ive solved the problem + just took my rav out for a drive for the 1st time since the engine change + its not runnin right. Its a 97 gx, 2.0 ltre petrol, injection, manual g'box. When I start it up the engine is runnin as it shud + sounds great. I can drive 1/4 a mile + all is well. Then it starts missing. It feels just like it wud if it was running out of petrol. But when I put the accelorator down to the floor to get sum revs, it misses + splutters 4 a few seconds until the revs pick up then starts accelorating + running normal again. Its then ok until I take my foot off the accelorator + then the process starts again. when its parked in the drive runin in neutral, I can rev it with no problems. As anbody any ideas on whats happening or what I shud check 1st. Thanks laura

Im just wonderin if the choke cud be stuck on + if that wud cause this problem. Once its warm, if im in 2nd gear + take revs to 2000 rpm it judders + misses. If I continue to accelorate in 2nd + take

It to 4000 rpm it levels out + alls ok. Again in neutral the engine runs fine even when revvin. Does anyone av any ideas or explain how the choke works thanks. Laura

I think the throttle body on these things sometimes gets gummed up and needs cleaned....not sure but I am sure I read that somewhere.

Ok so ive changed the throttle body + put the one from my old engine on, ive put new dist cap, rotar arm + still its not runin properly + doin the same as ive written above. When I press the accelorator pedal+take revs to 4000 rpm I can hear a whistle so im thinkin a pipe is un-done sumwhere. Ive just ad a couple of hours lookin 4 it without any succes. Its not the easiest engine to work on though.! Im goin to go get new plugs+ht leads 2moz but if anyone as any suggestions please let me know. Its been a hard week + my little rav as fought me every step but its not goin to beat me.!

Thanks 4 the reply. I dont think its the timing, its a different whistle.! At a guess its a whistle that ud expect if a pipe was un-done or suckin in air but im avin trouble findin it. Gettin up the back of the engine to check the many pipes etc is easier said than done. I took the fuel filter off the old engine but it'd only been on that 2 mths. Thanks 4 your thoughts + if u have any more please let me no

If you squirt WD40 in the general direction of the air leak the engine speed will increase when it sucks it in. Just home in closer and closer till you pinpoint it.

Hi there. Could sumone please explain the function of the egr valve.? Its been suggested to me that if its not workin then I wud av the engine probs im strugglin with. Is this true.? Ive changed fuel, air filter, ht leads, plugs, dist cap, rotary arm, timin belt. Ive checked every pipe + all are ok. One thing I avnt changed or touched is the egr valve but im not sure what it does. Ive found where it is on the engine I took out so I was goin to swap them over to see if it made a difference. Knowin what it did though may be a good startin point.! Thanks laura

Hi there. Could sumone please explain the function of the egr valve.? Its been suggested to me that if its not workin then I wud av the engine probs im strugglin with. Is this true.? Ive changed fuel, air filter, ht leads, plugs, dist cap, rotary arm, timin belt. Ive checked every pipe + all are ok. One thing I avnt changed or touched is the egr valve but im not sure what it does. Ive found where it is on the engine I took out so I was goin to swap them over to see if it made a difference. Knowin what it did though may be a good startin point.! Thanks laura

Here you go Laura, have a read of this:

LINK

Hope it sheds some light for you.

And here's how to do it in the dark ;) [not a RAV though]

LINK

Well cleaning the egr valve hasnt solved my runnin problem-which was badly coked up. Im so fedup. Ive gone over everything with a fine tooth comb + im runin out of ideas. Im waitin for a manual I bought to arrive as im not sure what to do next. What I cant understand is, I didnt have this prob before changin the engine so I would av thought if it was the fuel filter then it would av run rough before changin the engine, but it didnt. Ive changed the fuel filter but no change. I wudnt mind but when its parked up + left runnin it runs realy well even when revving it. So im thinkin if I take it for a diagnostic test that isnt goin to tell me anything as tick over is perfect. Only when I go out for a drive does it start runnin badly, it feels like im runnin out of fuel until I put my foot to the floor+take the revs up to 4000 rpm does it level out. It get worse the longer I drive. I no its realy hard to diagnose a fault without seein it but if any ones got any advice or experienced this problem + cud let me no what u did id realy appreciate it. Its driving me mad. Thanks laura..x

Thanks laura..x

Did you clean that MAF Laura?

Hi, sorry to sound stupid but by ' MAF ' do you mean manifold.? If so, yes ive cleaned it. Im just avin a look over everything again + scratchin my head if u think of anything else worth tryin. Seems to be a process of ilimination.!..laura

Did you clean that MAF Laura?

Hi, sorry to sound stupid but by ' MAF ' do you mean manifold.? If so, yes ive cleaned it. Im just avin a look over everything again + scratchin my head if u think of anything else worth tryin. Seems to be a process of ilimination.!..laura

Ive just been lookin on the engine I took out + at the back of the injectors is the fuel chamber. Runin from the chamber is a few small rubber hoses + 1 of these goes down the back of the engine. Underneath the centre of the inlet manifold, is sum sort of vacum valve with a black plastic cap on it. Ive no idea what it is or does but it must be sumthing to do with the fuel {I realy need my manual to arrive}. Im just tryin to get to the one fitted to the engine in the rav to swap them over but its virtualy impossible. Im goin to take the exhaust off to see if I can get it from underneath if not I think the diff + servos goin to av to !Removed! off to get to it. Ive been sat on the engine tryin to reach down the back + I just cant get to the bolts that holds it on..urr.r.ggg.h.!! Does anyone no what im talkin about or what it is or does.?

There are lots of vacuum valves but they don't often cause problems. MAF = mass air flow sensor and is the device in the air inlet pipe near the air filter with a plug on it. Take the hoses off and then either clean it out with carburettor cleaner or use the one off your old engine. Have a look at this;

Its sometimes easier to take the section of pipe off and get at it from the inside rather than pull it off like this chap does.

Just got the bugger off.! This ones got a part number on it which when I put in the internet tells me its the - egr vsv. I need to find out now if this wasnt doin its job would it cause the engine probs im avin + make the whistling noise I can hear..

Just got the bugger off.! This ones got a part number on it which when I put in the internet tells me its the - egr vsv. I need to find out now if this wasnt doin its job would it cause the engine probs im avin + make the whistling noise I can hear..

Could do but would also change the revs with the WD40 test.

Does a 97 rav with a 3sfe engine av a maf.? Ive taken the air intake pipe off, watched a video of where is shud

Be but I cant see it. Ive found the throttle posit sensor + idle speed sensor but no maf. Im goin to buy a fiesta next time.!!

Thanks for that. I changed the engine because the original was knocking, using loads of oil + badly gumped up. Rather than strip the engine + sort the problem I decided to replace it as I found one local on eBay for £150, I also thought it would have been quiker, cheaper + easier than an engine overhaul as its my only car, hence the reason why ive been so frustrated with this problem. I do intend to overhaul the old engine, it'll keep me occupied over the winter mths but 1st I need to get the new one running right. When its idle the new engine sounds great, but something is stopping it from running well when it hits 2000 rpm. Ive now done everything possible + i got it back together about an hour ago but couldnt test it as I need to get sum fluid for the power steering tomorow+ I blew a 100amp fuse so now nothing works till I replace it 2morow.! Im preying its goin to be ok..!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links