Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Phone Fitment

Big Kev

Good evening Rav Folk,

I am looking for a recommended fitter of car phones in the Greater Glasgow (preferably North side). I am no expert, but have had some woeful conversations recently from friends with "parrots in the car", and even some supposedly superior bluetooth applications are like chatting to Pinky and Perky.

I have previously always had company cars with good "hardwired" handsfree systems, but am open to recommendations from those in the know.

No longer have the daft company budget to spend £400.00 on a 45 minute installation though........

Thanks in advance as usual,

Big Kev

Good evening Rav Folk,

I am looking for a recommended fitter of car phones in the Greater Glasgow (preferably North side). I am no expert, but have had some woeful conversations recently from friends with "parrots in the car", and even some supposedly superior Bluetooth applications are like chatting to Pinky and Perky.

I have previously always had company cars with good "hardwired" handsfree systems, but am open to recommendations from those in the know.

No longer have the daft company budget to spend £400.00 on a 45 minute installation though........

Big Kev

Kev,

If you have the bluetooth fitted as part of the SatNav like my T180 I eventually bought a cheap Nokia 6021 on eBay to use as a car phone - it works very well equally as good as my (pre- retirement) company car phone - a proper one fully fitted not a mobile!

BUT check that a mobile will actually work with the Toyota bluetooth, I got caught out with a new Samsung which does not work with the Toyota system - The Nokia 6021 was bought after a test with Anchorman's own one after spending much time with the Samsung trying to get a decent volume.

If you have the SatNav screen you can have many numbers entered into the phonebook system but are only able to use a limited number whilst actually moving from the quick list - it defaults to the full list when stopped - a safety feature.

Guy

Good evening Rav Folk,

I am looking for a recommended fitter of car phones in the Greater Glasgow (preferably North side). I am no expert, but have had some woeful conversations recently from friends with "parrots in the car", and even some supposedly superior Bluetooth applications are like chatting to Pinky and Perky.

Big Kev

Kev,

If you have the bluetooth fitted as part of the SatNav like my T180 I eventually bought a cheap Nokia 6021 on eBay to use as a car phone - it works very well equally as good as my (pre- retirement) company car phone - a proper one fully fitted not a mobile!

BUT check that a mobile will actually work with the Toyota bluetooth, I got caught out with a new Samsung which does not work with the Toyota system - The Nokia 6021 was bought after a test with Anchorman's own one after spending much time with the Samsung trying to get a decent volume.

If you have the SatNav screen you can have many numbers entered into the phonebook system but are only able to use a limited number whilst actually moving from the quick list - it defaults to the full list when stopped - a safety feature.

Guy

Hello I have T180 with built in bluetooth. It works perfectly with my Blackberry Storm and wifes Nokia N97

Good evening Rav Folk,

Big Kev

Kev,

Guy

Thanks Guy,

SR180 has neither Sat Nav (thank God) nor relevant display screen. Am currently in touch with Anchorman re kit he has fitted and working, and it is a Nokia

bluetooth phone I use also. Would not be adverse to getting new phone (due soon anyway) so would make sure compatibility not an issue. Appreciate warning.

Regards,

Big Kev

SR180 has neither Sat Nav (thank God) nor relevant display screen. Am currently in touch with Anchorman re kit he has fitted and working, and it is a Nokia

Bluetooth phone I use also. Would not be adverse to getting new phone (due soon anyway) so would make sure compatibility not an issue. Appreciate warning.

Regards,

Big Kev

I remember reading some posts while back about the compatibility issue with the Toyota system and IIRC, some people had an issue where the 'normal' version of a phone would work, but a nework-specific version of the same phone i.e. one locked to a single network and with that providers firmware would not work  :unsure:

So maybe drive the car to a car shop and check the actual phone/s interested in?

Bluetooth phone I use also. Would not be adverse to getting new phone (due soon anyway) so would make sure compatibility not an issue. Appreciate warning.

Regards,

Big Kev

I remember reading some posts while back about the compatibility issue with the Toyota system and IIRC, some people had an issue where the 'normal' version of a phone would work, but a nework-specific version of the same phone i.e. one locked to a single network and with that providers firmware would not work  :unsure:

So maybe drive the car to a car shop and check the actual phone/s interested in?

Hi Hoovie,

that was me with a Sony Ericcson K810i. Worked with an orange sim card in an unlocked phone but not with the same sim card in an orange version of the phone. :blink: Anchorman thought that updating the phone software might help but I've never had the opportunity to try it. Tried the Nokia 2630 a couple of weeks ago and it paired effortlessly and had a fully featured display on my XT5. Not bad for £19.99 from Carphone Warehouse PAYG! :thumbsup:

Regards,

Big Kev

Hi Hoovie,

that was me with a Sony Ericcson K810i. Worked with an orange sim card in an unlocked phone but not with the same sim card in an orange version of the phone. :blink: Anchorman thought that updating the phone software might help but I've never had the opportunity to try it. Tried the Nokia 2630 a couple of weeks ago and it paired effortlessly and had a fully featured display on my XT5. Not bad for £19.99 from Carphone Warehouse PAYG! :thumbsup:

Yet more thanks for replies, guys, but my concern still grows.....

I have bought the official wiring harness off e-bay and await its delivery. My supposedly bluetooth phone will not "recognise" any other bluetooth apparatus in its close proximity, although they can recognise mine...WTF?

My phone is on the 3G network, and quite honestly, I am fed up trying to get a signal by standing on our rotary clothes drier touching a metal part and hoping

the network strength improves. This worries me greatly that it will be "locked out" from recognising the Toyota kit I am about to have fitted.

Sorry if I talk mince....mobiles not my fave subject.....will bore yer pants off another time on Scottish turntables and hi-fi paraffin aylia!

Regards,

Big Kev.

Regards,

Big Kev

Hi Hoovie,

Yet more thanks for replies, guys, but my concern still grows.....

I have bought the official wiring harness off e-bay and await its delivery. My supposedly bluetooth phone will not "recognise" any other bluetooth apparatus in its close proximity, although they can recognise mine...WTF?

My phone is on the 3G network, and quite honestly, I am fed up trying to get a signal by standing on our rotary clothes drier touching a metal part and hoping

the network strength improves. This worries me greatly that it will be "locked out" from recognising the Toyota kit I am about to have fitted.

Sorry if I talk mince....mobiles not my fave subject.....will bore yer pants off another time on Scottish turntables and hi-fi paraffin aylia!

Regards,

Big Kev.

Seems like a pairing issue - if you are "broadcasting" on bluetooth without your password set, anyone can pick you up. And if you are not paired up with someone else's password protected phone, then you won't get access to theirs (and you might have to "refresh" the search for devices several times to get noticed - connections can be stubborn). Network operator has nothing to do with the Bluetooth operations (e.g. Sony PS3 wireless remotes connect to the Playstation using Bluetooth pairing).

This advert shows compatibilty;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I think Duncs has another full list.

My aging Nokia 6500, which I have grown to almost like (hate phones...) is not on the list of "no worky with bluetooth / Toyota."

Will proceed with getting kit fitted and report back.

Thanks MarsKy and Anchorchap.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links